• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

After Hoenn - Will the Remakes get Remakes?

By the time the 3DS's successor comes out, GBA games might finally be available on eShop, and Game Freak might realize that they can use Pokebank for transferring Pokemon from these eShop games to the most current ones. So yeah, hopefully they'd have enough sense to just release FrLg on eShop.

This needs to happen ASAP. It's annoying that they haven't uploaded the original Gen. 1 and Gen. 2 games to the e-shop (I want to play Yellow for the first time and play as Kris in Crystal again!) and they need to get their s**t together. I want all 25 main series games on the e-shop. Like, yesterday.

They're going to be in a very tricky situation. I predict that they'll hold off re-remaking until something like generation 9. Then they'll remake FRLG and HGSS into one game. You'll start off in Kanto and move into Johto. Sevii Islands might make a return. You beat Giovanni, beat the Elite 4, beat the rocket admins and finally get to Mt Silver where you battle Red. Lyra and Ethan might also be battleable.

You beat Giovanni, beat the Elite 4, beat the rocket admins and finally get to Mt Silver where you battle Red. Lyra and Ethan might also be battleable.
That doesn't make sense, unless you're implying sequels in which Giovanni would yet again be the villain despite having quit twice. I personally don't see why people equate sequels with recycled plots; Kanto and Johto could be revisited without Team Rocket being the villains.

You beat Giovanni, beat the Elite 4, beat the rocket admins and finally get to Mt Silver where you battle Red. Lyra and Ethan might also be battleable.
That doesn't make sense, unless you're implying sequels in which Giovanni would yet again be the villain despite having quit twice. I personally don't see why people equate sequels with recycled plots; Kanto and Johto could be revisited without Team Rocket being the villains.

Obviously, I didn't think things through before writing that particular post. It would be weird having a different villainous team though.

It would be weird having a different villainous team though.
I don't think it would be weird, at least not compared to the alternative of reviving Team Rocket again. Arguably, Johto never got its own villains, so sequels could rectify that. I don't think we need another villainous team in the traditional sense of an organization, either.

I'd rather see Giovanni change his ways than see him lose for the third time.

I don't think we will get another 1st gen remake. I prefer a kind of sequel, not three years after FR/LG but contemporary with XY. The building in Vermillion City would be finished, a new hero will begin his journey in Kanto in a new city. I want that kind of game. New champions, new areas within Kanto. It's better than travelling around Kanto seeing the same things.

The problem is that I don't know that kind of myth they can put in that NeoNeo-Kanto... Mewtwo was already in XY but that would explain why Mewtwo moved to Kalos.
They could even include a second region like Johto contemporary with XY too.

Last edited:
I'd say that instead of remakes, the older games would be eShopped or ported to mobile devices. It would make no sense to remake RBY again, unless Game Freak creates a game that requires those circumstances.

It is a very awkward predicament .

Looking into the future into Generation 8, we could be due Generation 8 games, as well as remade Generation 5/6 games Generation 3 games and Generation 1 games.

I think Pokemon Origins was the only nod we will get to Gen 1 in this anniversary.
The appeal of remakes is that you can to revisit the past regions with updated features and IRL technology of the current gen that wasn't available when the game was initially released, and you get answers to questions that you might have pondered about previous Gen from the context of the current gen, i.e. What happens to Whitney's team now that Clefairy is a Fairy type? Would Claire replace Kingdra with Dragalge? Does Wally Gradevoir Mega Evolve? Would the Golden Rod Department Store sells clothes now too? Etc. Ideally, for me at least, every new gen would be accompanied by a release of all old Gens to reflect the updates. However, that doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.

Perhaps as time goes on and technology becomes more advanced, when the games stop being bound to a physical copies and are purely released via download, the developers can release more updated versions more easily; or perhaps release old regions within the new Gen as expansions packs or DLC.

Thanks to Bank, imagine if in Gen VII after you complete your journey you purchase and download the Kanto patch, and within the game whatever the professor of the region gives you the travel pass and you continue your journey from there. It would add a new element of the game play, and it would breakup the quick turnaround as GF could stagger the release, at that point, of all past Generations over two or three years and keep players pretty occupied.

People seem to forget that all the kanto legendaries ( excluding mew, which is event only) , as well as starters, are already avaiable in XY. To me, it means we wont have kanto re-remakes for a while. Sure, we had event torchic in X/Y, but that was just torchick, not treecko, mudikip or other legends. and it was an event.
If kanto remakes will ever happen, i hope they will be on gen 8 and just one game called water blue or thunder yellow. Because giantic names like burning fire red or soft leaf green will be a pain even to read. I also think the time betwen remakes should increase more and more. Weve already had gen V without remakes, so, game freak can make gen VII without remakes too.

If they do so, pokemon gens will be like this:

gen VI( 2013): X/Y , OR/AS, X/Y2 or Z
Gen VII(2016): just new games
gen VIII(2019): new games, water blue
gen IX(2022): new games
genX(2025):new games, D/P remakes
gen XI(2028): new games
Gen XII(2031):new games, mind crystal
Gen XIII(2034): new games
gen XIV(2038): new games, BW remakes
gen XV(2041): new games
gen XVI(2044): new games, delta esmerald
gen XVII(2047): new games
gen XVIII(2050): thunder yellow

Yes, i think pokemon might survive until 2050. Its not impossible. Its almost 20 years old and still giving loads of money to game freak.

If kanto remakes will ever happen, i hope they will be on gen 8 and just one game called water blue or thunder yellow. Because giantic names like burning fire red or soft leaf green will be a pain even to read. I also think the time betwen remakes should increase more and more. We've already had gen V without remakes, so, game freak can make gen VII without remakes too.

I agree with you on how re-remakes and other remakes should be made, and I'm just gonna repeat what you said and add some of my own stuff:

1. Remakes should be made into one version
2. The time between releases of remakes should increase
3. Remakes of different games/regions could be fused together
4. Having sequels instead of remakes
5. Remake older regions as post-E4 areas for new regions (akin to Kanto in GS)
6. Adding new areas to remakes
7. Better plots, more character development, changes in gameplay, etc.

(Ideas based on the above points:)

-So, instead of just making Sinnoh remakes in Generation 8 or 9 or whatever, I had another idea... They release a game in 2026 (Pokemon's 30th anniversary) that features Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, AND Sinnoh. It makes sense that it only has these regions because Unova, Kalos, and Gen 7's region are said to be far away.... And GF even said these regions are all kind of part of one continent... (or, in the real world, one country: Japan.) This game would be a sequel to all the original Gen I-IV games, and would allow you to choose which region to start in, etc. We might say new teams as well as the old teams we already know of, and there could be a plot intertwining the teams together.

-Pokemon Grey: A sequel to Pokemon B2W2. We'll probably get it in Gen 8, 9 or 10. Unlike B2W2, this game will be more of a fresh take on Unova, probably unrelated to its predecessors. There would be a new team, new plot, new characters... but we will probably see some older characters return, like N. Instead of the story this time focusing on the Tao trio, it could instead focus on the Kami trio, or, what I would prefer, the Muskateers.

So yeah, anyway, what I want to say is, IF GF do at least half of what I wrote above, then more remakes would be justified, and I would actually want to play those games. But if they just keep remaking games for the heck of it, then we'd have a problem...

I think it would be kinda silly to remake a remake, but maybe a sequel would be better but in the same region and like others have suggested, put the older remakes on eshop and let it able to connect to PokeBank.
And maybe they can do a sorta 3D thing with the old games with 3D flat sprites but not a X/Y 3D deal?
But if they were to do remakes I can only see it when the current gen console can no longer play it, as Hoenn has had a remake as the 3DS can't play it, maybe FR/LG would get one too, but HG/SS would get a remake if the next console can't play DS games, that's the only logic I can personally see them wanting to remake a remake.

I'd really love a remake/sequel of Gen 1, maybe InfernoRed and SolarGreen/HydroBlue? If it had elements from Pokemon Origins, even better, perhaps finding Red on the hunt for Mew in the postgame.

I think now would be a good place for Nintendo to stop with remakes. The infrastructure of the Nintendo 3DS makes Gameboy Advance game emulation fairly troublesome (the Ambassador games were erm...not that great), so I can see why Ruby and Sapphire were remade. Moving on though, I imagine that we will be revisiting older games through Nintendo's Virtual Console service as opposed to remakes.

I imagine that the main reason as to why we haven't had the Generation I-III games on the Virtual Console platform yet is because of the connectivity issues; that locking Pokémon down to single player simply defeats the main draw of the series (and with Gens I/II, the massive difference in the data structure). However, with Nintendo DS games being confirmed for the Wii U's Virtual Console as well as the DS Pokémon titles being the first in the franchise to feature online play, with some tweaking to change the (then-defunct) Wi-Fi service to run through the Nintendo Network, wouldn't Diamond/Pearl be a great place to start with Pokémon on the Virtual Console? This could then naturally be followed up by the rest of the Nintendo DS games. Then, they just need to release a PokéTransporter app on the Wii U to allow us to send our Pokémon to the newer games.

Then, as FireRed/LeafGreen introduced the Wireless Adaptor, with some tweaking they could possibly be released on the Virtual Console service for Nintendo's next handheld, which would have the power to allow a full GBA Virtual Console experience.

No more remakes. Release old games on the eShop/Virtual Console instead.

While it would be cool to see the regions in the new graphics, as everyone was saying it will create a huge chain of never ending remakes. Sequels would be an interesting way to go back to these places and not play the same exact game 6 times.

This is how I see the trend continue, starting with it's history up to the present day:

Gen I
1996 - Red and Green (Blue)
1998 - Yellow

Gen II
1999 - Gold and Silver
2000 - Crystal

Gen III
2002 - Ruby and Sapphire
2004 - Fire Red and Leaf Green (Gen I Remakes)
2004/2005 - Emerald

Gen IV
2006/2007 - Diamond and Pearl
2008/2009 - Platinum
2009/2010 - Heart Gold and Soul Silver (Gen II remakes)

Gen V
2010/2011 - Black and White
2012 - Black 2 and White 2

Gen VI
2013 - X and Y
2014 - Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (Gen III remakes)

Which leaves us to the present day

As for the future, this is how I see the trend go on:

Gen VI
2015/2016 - Gen VI third version or sequels (Pokémon Z or X2 and Y2)

Gen VII
2016 - Gen VII games
2016/2017 - Gen I re-remakes or sequels for the 20th anniversary of Red and Green)
2018 - Gen VII third version

Gen VIII
2019 - Gen VIII games
2020/2021 - Gen IV remakes
2022/2023 - Gen VIII third version or sequels

Gen IX
2024 - Gen IX games
2025/2026 - Gen II re-remakes or sequels for the 25th anniversary of Gold and Silver
2027 - Gen IX third version or sequels2

Gen X
2028/2029 - Gen X games
2030 - Gen V remakes
2031/2032 - Gen X third version or sequels
2032/2033 - Gen III re-remakes for the 30th anniversary of Ruby and Sapphire

Gen XI
2034/2035 - Gen XI games
2036 - Gen I re-re-remakes for Red and Green's 40th anniversary
2037/2038 - Gen XI Third version or sequels

Gen XII
2039/2040 - Gen XII games
2041/2042 - Gen VI re-makes
2043/2044 - Gen XII third version or sequels

Gen XIII
2045 - Gen XIII games
2046 - Gen IV re-remakes for Diamond and Pearl's 40th anniversary
2047/2048 - Gen XIII third version or sequels

Gen XIV
2050 - Gen XIV games
2051/2052 - Gen VII remakes

This is how far I dare to predict for the Pokémon franchise

Some one else posted this in the ORAS board. (sorry I cant remember who to credit to) They said the names alpha and omega meant begining and ending. As in gen 3 started the remakes and the gen 3 remakes would end the remakes. I thought this was amazing and have such hopes its true. With all the games being fairly modern now. I hope if we go back to old regions now its through sequels or post game(DLC maybe) heck a RBY sequel could kill two birds with Johto post game.
But I do long for some old games via Virtual console. RBY/GSC on 3ds VC would be amazing. If third party hackers are releasing the games on smart phones (shameful), Nintendo is missing a chance.

I'd love to see a 3DS Kanto remake personally. FRLG have been starting to show their age in recent years in my opinion.

Sparkling Diamond and Shiny Pearl. Boom. There are your DP remake names.

Back
Top Bottom