• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

After Hoenn - Will the Remakes get Remakes?

Maybe it's just me being tired of going through Kanto, but I personally don't care to see remakes of FRLG. Hell, I'd quicker accept a remake of Yellow. There's just no reason, in my eyes, to remake remakes, it just seems redundant.

If we just have to go back to Kanto in a few years, hopefully it can be something new. I'm not a fan of sequel games, but as it relates to Kanto, a sequel is pretty much the only way to go at this point. Or maybe just a new story in general. Hell, are only the events of Red and Team Rocket the only things Kanto has going for it? Do something new. Anything but the same old journey we've seen in 6 games so far. Even if it's being catered to the newer generations, why remake the same game twice? Better graphics? ...I guess. But I still am currently against the prospect of remaking ANY remakes.

I think it definitely makes sense to do some remakes/sequels, but I agree that it'd be more interesting to be in the same 'land' with a different story. I wouldn't mind seeing a Kanto-specific game at least set on a dual-screen and with somewhat updated graphics, but re-releasing in such close proximity will just be a mess pretty soon.

One of my favourite things about Johto was that it let you explore two worlds, so the in-game stuff felt so much longer - X/Y in particular have felt short to me. It'd be cool if they had a basic game for each gen ('Electric Yellow' 'Spirit Crystal') available in the e-shop and extra features/updates would occasionally be released for download, but the full re-release wasn't always necessary. I liked the basic theme behind B2/W2, where it was a sequel that related to the earlier game, but you were a different character on a different journey. I hope that if they continue to do remakes of earlier gens that's the path they go down (referring back to the originals without needing to know them to play), and that we see it with the theoretical 'Z' as well.

That would be really redundant and would lower the quality and credibility of the GameFreak company. A remake of the remake is totally unnecessary for me. I think they are just moving the Pokemon games from Gameboy series to the DS-lines which includes the 3DS. Maybe we'll see a Pokemon Classic Collection for the home console or to a stronger handheld in 7 or 8 years from now.

I certainly hope not. Each of the games have potential for sequels and that's what should be done. Kanto and Johto desperately need sequels. Sadly sequels still haven't happened. Instead of creating a brand new story for FRLG, Game Freak lazily retold the old one. I hope they don't make that mistake again. Sequels are really the only way to go if you want to revisit old regions. I''m excited for OR/AS but the announcement that they are remakes is very disappointing. It seems that sadly Game Freak isn't open to sequels (except for BW2).

Game Freak has no interest in porting the old games to the 3DS (and really can't spare the employees to do so). Besides with Nintendo pretty much dropping all DS support these days one can imagine their next handheld won't be backwards compatible with that system.

Ideas for names for Gen IV, Gen V and Gen VI remakes in the future:

Gen IV remakes:

- Carbon Diamond
Hydrogen Pearl
- Coal Diamond
Clam Pearl

Gen V remakes:

- Ebony Black
Ivory White

Gen VI remakes:

- Mysterious X
Ominous Y

As a newer fan, and one of those kids who never really got to experience Kanto...I'd kinda like to see a re-make. Just a little. If anything for Kanto, I'd want a sequel. Not sure what it would be, but still. :3 The only reason I'd want anymore Kanto/Johto is for that handsome devil named Silver. o3o. Seriously, I want a story line with him and possibly Giovanni, OR, even though I am dreaming...The whole family together. Because we do have another suspicious red-haired character that looks very much like Silver...*hint hint* o3o.
But putting that aside...I think we're okay with Kanto and Johto for now. No more re-makes of those two regions. o3o. Just sequels. Sequels with Silver and his long-lost family. xD.
Now, as for Diamond/Pearl, Platinum...I am not so sure about them. Yes, would I love to see my absolute favorite region ever in 3D with my favorite villainous team?
Heck yes!
But I will also be just as fine with a sequel as well. o3o. Maybe even more then fine. xD. (Although I would love to see Team Galactic one more time...)
Sooo my answer is: No, but I hope so. ;D

My personal opinion is that it's time not for a remake of the Kanto and Johto games, but for either reimagined games or sequels. {Or, to be more precise, I feel that it will be time for such things soon™. HGSS wasn't that long ago, really; so it's not unreasonable to hope for a followup... say, in Gen VII.} Let's see what happens after HGSS in central "Japan" [or whatever, if there's an actual fan term for the first four regions combined]. Maybe shake it up and have a new region to span the distance between Kanto and Sinnoh, even! Touhoku is my favorite part of Japan, so I might be biased in hoping for all this. But still, my point is, I don't expect or even want remakes-of-remakes. Something new based on the same idea, sure, but not the same thing all over again.

It would be interesting to see just how long Pokemon goes on for... If it went on for, say, another 25 years or more, perhaps we'd see 3rd gen remakes? That is, not remakes of Hoenn, but the remake of a remake of a remake?

Remaking the same game multiple times is really nothing new and Game Freak was far from the first one to do something like this. They have done this a lot with certain Capcom games in the 90s and the 2000s. I know a few titles they had were remade as much as four times, especially with their most popular titles. Let's not forget a lot of the N64 games remade for the 3DS itself.

Looking at it from a different perspective and one I am guilty of, I can sort of see the appeal of wanting to replay something you grew up to love with updated graphics and modern features such as the Mega Evolutions. The last time we saw Generations I and III, it was in pixelated GBA graphics. If you grew up with these games, who wouldn't want to see these games in a newer light? And once the graphics of the 3DS are outdated and they come up with the 3DS Ultimate 5000, I know people will be wanting to see older Pokemon games in that console, too.

At the same time, and looking at things from a different angle, there are those (myself included) who want to see innovation. As in, something not regurgitated with the expectation that it will sell but something made with actual thought put into their product and something that would blow us away (or at least change the meta game drastically). Remakes are an easy way for Game Freak to make money. There is little to no innovation involved with remakes (sometimes there are exceptions, but I have yet to see it in a Pokemon remake), yet they know it will sell because people will buy it. Now, the Ruby and Sapphire games have Mega Evolutions that have just been introduced, but that's not innovation as the concept of Mega Evolutions were introduced in X and Y. They just expand on what was introduced in a previous game and go with that. I think the closest thing to innovation in a remake was in the HG/SS games with Pokemon walking with you outside of their Poke Balls, but I would consider that more of a novelty than an innovative concept. Of course, Ruby and Sapphire the remakes will probably make me eat my words and they may do something innovative. Who knows?

That is just my take on why I understand remakes of a remake, but Pokemon should not just be about remakes and I wish people would stop begging for them. For people who long for the past, I am hoping they could make a game that allows one to visit a previous region with different characters, different motivation for the characters, unexplored towns, and newer Pokemon. That would be better than a flat out remake.

In 2 years, we'll see the 20th anniversary of the Pokémon Franchise. If anything, I could see them doing special 20th anniversary remakes that could incorporate all Pokémon to date. It would actually be more akin to sequels than remakes, most likely. But I can definitely see them doing something crazy with Kanto for the 20th anniversary. Hopefully a remake of the anime-influenced Yellow, which includes the Orange Islands. ^_^

Remaking the same game multiple times is really nothing new and Game Freak was far from the first one to do something like this. They have done this a lot with certain Capcom games in the 90s and the 2000s. I know a few titles they had were remade as much as four times, especially with their most popular titles. Let's not forget a lot of the N64 games remade for the 3DS itself.

Were they remade or ported? Because there's a big difference here. We've seen several ports of games from one console to another (NES games, for example, had been ported to Virtual Console for the Wii, and then again for 3DS and Wii U), but I don't think we've ever seen a game with updated graphics and additional content twice.

At the same time, and looking at things from a different angle, there are those (myself included) who want to see innovation. As in, something not regurgitated with the expectation that it will sell but something made with actual thought put into their product and something that would blow us away (or at least change the meta game drastically). Remakes are an easy way for Game Freak to make money. There is little to no innovation involved with remakes (sometimes there are exceptions, but I have yet to see it in a Pokemon remake), yet they know it will sell because people will buy it. Now, the Ruby and Sapphire games have Mega Evolutions that have just been introduced, but that's not innovation as the concept of Mega Evolutions were introduced in X and Y. They just expand on what was introduced in a previous game and go with that. I think the closest thing to innovation in a remake was in the HG/SS games with Pokemon walking with you outside of their Poke Balls, but I would consider that more of a novelty than an innovative concept. Of course, Ruby and Sapphire the remakes will probably make me eat my words and they may do something innovative. Who knows?

I think this may be part of the point in remaking a game, it's a cheap and relatively effortless way to make money, but I think they could at least take the opportunity to update some things. The Pokedex is one thing that I want them to start improving, most of the older regional dexes are horribly unvaried and relatively light compared to more recent ones. Storylines could also afford to be improved as well, most of the storylines pre-Gen 4 have been light as well.

At first I thought remaking a game that already got remade would be ridiculous and would start an endless chain of remakes... but now I'm a little more partial to the idea of FR/LG remakes, since FR/LG are getting up there in age. If not for XY including the Kanto starters and Legendaries, I'll be all onboard with a remake in 2016 for the 20th anniversary of Red and Green. Now, I don't know.

In regards to making sequels with a new villainous team (because I definitely do not want any new games with Team Rocket) and new Pokémon... I don't know. It'd have to be familiar enough that I won't ask "why not just make this a brand new game in a brand new region?" but different enough that it doesn't remind me of say, Gold/Silver or something. For a hypothetical Kanto sequel, there'd better be a damn good story and mythology, and not just something that seems like "well we should have another Kanto game that's not just a remake". I'd really rather have fleshed-out remakes than a sequel with a pretty meh story, but that's just me. I know I'm being pretty hard on the idea of doing something new instead of retreading the same old stuff... lol.

I hope not. We got a enough Kanto love in XY. Not to mention Origins and the PWT. We so don't need remakes of remakes just yet. I know games get remade a number of times based on popularity and age, but I'm they've given so much Kanto elements in recent years they need to wait.

At the very least, they need to hold off 2 or 3 years to release it for the 20th Anniversary ;-)

After the new Ruby/Sapphire remakes come out we have the ability to play in all regions ever created. Granted we dont get to play Kanto (RBY) as a main story but as a secondary story in HG/SS. I doubt that GF is going to devote the money into creating remakes of games that can be played on the current system even tho they are a couple generations back. I would not expect to see any remakes of the current regions until a new platform is released, and by then who knows the system may be powerful enough to combine more than one region into one game, with full story lines in each. I think it would be a nice change of pace to have Game "A" start in one region and Game "B" start in the other and have the story lines cross but from a different perspective rather than the games being identical less a few mons that can only be caught in one and not the other. With this method you experience both story lines just in a different order.

Dom

After Hoenn I'm done with remakes. I wouldn't mind revisiting the regions though. That I think is a great opportunity to see how regions have changed. If this Hoenn is essentially the same story just updated to include Mega Evolution it would mean that the all of the games pretty much happened around the same time, and so chronology the Pokemon Universe hasn't really changed that much.

Revisiting regions gives you the opportunity not to relive the same story, but to see how that region has changed. I think B/W2 was so great in that regard, and Gen III/HG/SS to some extent with Red, as we saw Gym Leaders move onto to new careers and new Gym Leaders rise up to take their place. We see and hear about what happened to the player who came before, and get to leave a few mark on the region.

Revisiting the region allows the designers to create something new without reinventing the wheel. You could go back to Vermillion City and see if the old man ever finished his house. See if Blaine fully rebuilt his Gym. See if Misty ever got through a complete date. See if Volkner challenged and became an Elite Four member. Etc. The game universe has so much potential to cover so much material with what has already been established, the games could like many other franchises develop the universe and really attract and keep players.

Gens usually last 4 years, remember 2016 is 20th anniversary

2013 = XY
2014 = RSemakes
2015 = Z
2016 = FRLGemakes or Yellow remake.

I wouldn't be surprised if FRLG or any remakes get remade, but I really hope they don't make remakes of remakes. I personally think it would get redundant to do that since they are already remakes originally. Plus I wasn't a fan of FRLG to begin with.

Generation One doesn't need any more attention right now. It got waaaay too much recently.

Eventually every region will be in 3D on the 3DS, but I don't think it's necessary to replay the stories in new games, perhaps releasing the regions as DLC would be better. It would be more like when you visit Kanto in Hg/Ss, you're already high levelled, and the region isn't the same as it was in Fr/Lg, but it's there and you still have things you can do there.

Hopefully we'll see something. Nintendo put themselves up to it when they set such high standards with X&Y comparatively to other games.

Back
Top Bottom