• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

AG 142 title straight from PokeAni

I've just seen "Journey to the Starting Line", and Bulbasaur works as a Bulbasaur. It wouldn't work as an Ivysaur.

On the other hand, a little more evolution would be good. Phanpy has shown that it has grown up, so maybe...

But this episode will probably be random Pokémon of the day.

Ben's Thoughts

I don't have much to add except to say that this is probably the character of the week's Pokémon trying to evolve, failing, and then succeeding so it can be strong enough to beat Team Rocket when they are on the cusp of victory. In other words: a generic cookie-cutter filler which has been done at least once before, maybe several times.

I think that it is unlikely that any of the regulars' Pokémon are ready to evolve. Pikachu won't evolve with anything less than a three-episode build-up. :p

Onto the OT question of evolution and personality - Torchic to Combustiken is the only evolution that I've seen where the subject's personality radically changes. However, Torchic was such a stereotypical hatchling/baby personality that it would be inevitable that it would change if it were to evolve. Charmander's personality didn't really change, it simply became more so - aggressive, confident, independent and rebellious (I seem to remember Charmander cooking Ash once for suggesting that they go into a scary cave; nothing changes).

I've always felt that evolving Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle would nicely symbolise their maturity (Bulbasaur accepting its role as the leader of the grass-types at Oak's; Squirtle finally getting over its 'bad boy rebellion' teen attitude). Pikachu will not evolve until Ash fights to become a Pokémon Master and will only evolve at the climax, symbolising the end of Ash's childhood quest and the beginning of his adult life.

If that, even. Don't give the writers too much credit. Besides, the metaphor kinda has holes - after all, wouldn't that mean that he once chose not to be an adult or something? There's also the enduring possibility that they'll get burned for stretching the story so far and get canceled out of left field as rating drop.

BenRG said:
I've always felt that evolving Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle would nicely symbolise their maturity (Bulbasaur accepting its role as the leader of the grass-types at Oak's; Squirtle finally getting over its 'bad boy rebellion' teen attitude). Pikachu will not evolve until Ash fights to become a Pokémon Master and will only evolve at the climax, symbolising the end of Ash's childhood quest and the beginning of his adult life.
Except that Squirtle, Pikachu and Bulbasaur are ALREADY in their adult forms, just not fully evolved. As in the games and the anime, a Pokemon can stay in their first or second form all their lives if they choose to, take the old Treeko from the Treeko clan that Ash's came from. It's even more natural to stay in the second or first form for stone-evolved Pokemon like Pikachu. For most Pokemon evolution is more an option than a matter of growing up. The pre-evoltion Pokemon are among the only exceptions, such as Pichu.

A Pokemon may be giving up more power, larger size, a fiercer personality and such if it chooses not to evolve, but that doesn't mean it is somehow choosing not to grow up.

Pikachu won't evolve (99.9% certain) ever, as it is Pokemon's mascot and clearly does not want to change. Looked at from the perspective of the games with a Light Ball Pikachu, Pikachu is actually stronger if it doesn't evolve. The fact of the matter is if it evolved and got stronger, everything the show has done to show it as a uniquely powerful Pikachu, a special one with power beyond its level and such, would lose a good deal of meaning. How special can it be if it needs to evolve to become strong enough for a Master's Pokemon?

Squirtle won't evolve unless it chooses to leave the Squirtle Squad, which for now seem to be unable to live without him. After all, it is the Squirtle Squad, not the Squirtle Squad with Wartortle/Blastoise. It couldn't even wear its shades if it evolved. I'd say that returning to the Squirtle Squad in Johto basically destroyed almost any chance of it evolving. It also long ago lost its rebellious, bad boy teen attitude (really it was about gone by the time Ash captured it).

Bulbasaur could concievably evolve, but it has no reason to. Why bother when it can beat just about anything that opposes it as is? It doesn't need size to be "leader" of the Grass types (and really its a peacekeeper, not a leader) since its power has already earned their respect.

I love evolved Pokemon, but the way the story has been set up it seems quite unlikely for these three. This has been argued for years and has yet to be wrong. Why not concentrate more on Pokemon that have a semi-conceivable chance of evolving instead of rehashing very old ideas? If they end up evolving, it will be a great surprise, but if they don't at least we won't have wasted energy hoping, speculating and arguing a almost certainly lost cause.

Red herring

Pokemon Fan said:
Except that Squirtle, Pikachu and Bulbasaur are ALREADY in their adult forms, just not fully evolved. As in the games and the anime, a Pokemon can stay in their first or second form all their lives if they choose to

(...)

The pre-evoltion Pokemon are among the only exceptions, such as Pichu.
Actually, I think that you can use Evo Cancel on the 'friendship' evolutions (like Pichu => Pikachu) as well. But that is beside the point. I'm not talking about physical maturity, I'm talking about emotional maturity. Specifically, evolving Pokémon to demonstrate that they are taking on an adult's role and responsibilities.

Pokemon Fan said:
A Pokemon may be giving up more power, larger size, a fiercer personality and such if it chooses not to evolve, but that doesn't mean it is somehow choosing not to grow up.
Red herring - I wasn't saying that they were choosing not to grow up, I was saying that evolution could be used to symbolise that they are growing up.

Pokemon Fan said:
Pikachu won't evolve (99.9% certain) ever, as it is Pokemon's mascot and clearly does not want to change.
No arguments there, PF, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it :p

Pokemon Fan said:
I love evolved Pokemon, but the way the story has been set up it seems quite unlikely for these three. This has been argued for years and has yet to be wrong. Why not concentrate more on Pokemon that have a semi-conceivable chance of evolving instead of rehashing very old ideas? If they end up evolving, it will be a great surprise, but if they don't at least we won't have wasted energy hoping, speculating and arguing a almost certainly lost cause.
You really are no fun, you know that? It is my energy and I'll waste it if I want to.

Okay, it isn't likely to happen and we know that The Powers That Be have almost no interest in fan opinions. However, I'm saying that I would like to see it and that I think that it would be a valid characterisation tool. I am not saying that it is likely and I will thank you for not flaming me for daring to express an opinion and a preference that you feel is irrelevant.

Frankly, PF, your post disappointed me. There was no call for you to be so scathing and dismissive about what were merely off-the-cuff remarks.

Thank you and good day to you, sir.

According to NewType:

ヤマブキシティ近郊まできたサトシたちは、ポケモン道具の研究家・ゴードンに泥棒と間違われ、いもむしポケモン・キャタピーに捕まってしまった。

Satoshi-tachi, who are approaching Yamabuki City, are mistaken for thieves by the Pokémon tool researcher, Gordon, are captured by the caterpillar Pokémon, Caterpie.

Wow, another filler starring a pokemon that has been on the team/following it/been important in some way.

Arrrghh!

I was thinking that the episode might deal with Nincada and it's evolution! That would of been cool, but Caterpie.......

BUTTERFREE IS COMING BACK!

Yeah, I know Argy (Your real name is Holly right! That name is soooo cool!)

Maybe this episode will hint at a possible evo in the future.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom