• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ag 160

Doctor Oak

Can't Touch Dis.
Reaction score
Gonbe's Battle Debut! Harley and Taking the Game Seriously!

*Jaw Drops*

FINALLY. Gonbe actually does something.

Considering the attacks it has shown off already, I was surprised it kept getting looked over for all the contests. I'd simply put it down to a lack of definite move-set for the Pokemon.

Although, it might not actually win.... But oh well.

Well, win or lose, Gonbe still will do something and will not get out of the scene the whole episode...so maybe this episode will be based only on Gonbe in action....
*hopes that Gonbe won't evolve in that episode*

Agreed, the same reason why Manene will never evolve. They're not going to turn a 4th gen Pokemon back into an old RBY Pokemon again. That defeats the whole point of them being on the show to begin with. Besides, doesn't May have enough of Ash's Pokemon as it is? Why would you want to see another Snorlax? Sheesh.

Anyway Harley better win this one to redeem himself. He's lost against May 3 times already, if we are to take him as a serious rival he actually needs to win. May needs a loss too this region, hopefully this will be it.

MistyIRC said:
Why would it evolve? Munchlax's whole point is advertising DP, if it evolves it loses that purpose.

Munchlax can't take over the world with over-publicity if it's not a Munchlax any more. ^^ Simple as that, lol.

Don't be stupid. If it happened to become a Snorlax, it could easily devolve back into merchandise-whore again. It is one of May's Pokémon.

My theory is May wins, because despite Harley battling much more effectively the light bar for Munchlax just refuses to go down by any substantial amount. Then at the grand festival we learn Kanto Festivals are run by the Rockets and they've been fixing matches to get May there. Then something watchable goes on. Preferably with Weezing coming back and learning Thunder.

Of course, it'll never happen.

ZoraJolteon said:
Don't be stupid. If it happened to become a Snorlax, it could easily devolve back into merchandise-whore again. It is one of May's Pokémon.

My theory is May wins, because despite Harley battling much more effectively the light bar for Munchlax just refuses to go down by any substantial amount. Then at the grand festival we learn Kanto Festivals are run by the Rockets and they've been fixing matches to get May there. Then something watchable goes on. Preferably with Weezing coming back and learning Thunder.

Of course, it'll never happen.

*Wishes I could have gone on that trip out of Reality with you*

I sincerely hope Haruka gets her ass handed to her this time. After that disgusting victory with Zenigame it would be nigh unbearable to watch Gonbe defeat Harley as well.

If Harley is taking things seriously, then he has a very good chance.

I wonder if he will use a new Pokémon or one we have already seen.

Goce said:
And, wha't is the title in Japanese?

ゴンベのデビュー戦!ハーリーと真剣勝負!!

Gonbe no Debut Ikusa! Harley and Shinkenshoubu!!

Gonbe's Debut Battle! Harley and Bout with Real Swords!!

The last is the hyper literal translation, any of the less literal translations aren't wrong, far from it, they just continue on the metaphor, seeing as I doubt there will be swords in the battle. The general concept of Shin (Real) Ken (Swords) Shoubu (Victory/defeat, match, contest, game, bout) is up to you, but basically, Battle in Earnest seems to make sense, or the dictionary combined form: (n) fighting with real swords; game played in real earnest; ED.

Anyways, I talk far too much, especially in answer to such a simple question, but I hope that clarifies things!

TR usually gets written out of the one-part contest eps, so I'm guessing Jessie won't be competing in this one.

I wonder how May would react if Harley rubs his win in her face.

Personally, I see the odds of Harley beating May as high as Mandy beating Ash during the Indigo League: very low.
Even if Harley beat May, who wanna take a bet that he is going to lose to an other coordinator that May became friends with prior to the contest?

I doubt it. This is one episode so the final is most likely to be May's Munchlax vs. Harley's Pokémon. Whichever one he uses will have a very good chance of winning.

FabuVinny said:
Whichever one he uses will have a very good chance of winning.
I'm sure he will, no doubt about that. What I meant was the outcome of the contest: I don't think he is going to win.

Munchlax is very powerful when it wants to be. This will problably mostly depend on May figuring out if it has any moves besides Solarbeam an' Focus Punch before the contest.

It also has Metronome... I think.

I can't really remember, but I'm pretty certain it does.

In which case, it could be that that gives Harley the win - if May relies on it to win it, she could get let down completely by it.

Which, actually, would be a pity. Gonbe's done so little since it was caught that it'd be pretty unfair for it to lose in it's very first proper battle of any sort.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom