• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ag 160

I believe it used Metronome in the Clefairy and Arcanine episodes... Is May aware of this?

It also used Metronome whilst up against Vileplume, in the episode May recieved the egg. Max pointed the move out too, so she's definatly aware of it.

Unown_ said:
Personally, I see the odds of Harley beating May as high as Mandy beating Ash during the Indigo League: very low.
Even if Harley beat May, who wanna take a bet that he is going to lose to an other coordinator that May became friends with prior to the contest?

I don't get it, why can't he win?

Harley is a very, VERY good coordinator. We know he's a good coordinator because he got 5 ribbons and was able to enter the GF.

On another note, why would the writers bring Harley back so soon just to have a rehash of the Saffron Contest, which was only a few months ago? As embarrassing as the outcome of that episode was with Harley losing for the 3rd time to a baby Squirtle, it'll only add insult to the injury for him to lost a 4th time against Munchlax.

Seriously, what's the point of bringing the guy back so soon just to have him lose again?

May needs at least one loss this region, it would be crappy writing for her to win all her contests, and this should be the one she takes the loss.

Is Harley a good coordinator? Yes. As Scott85 pointed out he does have 5 ribbons and participated in the Grand Festival.
Do I think May needs a defeat? Yes. Never losing just seems unrealistic.
Do I think Harley will be the one defeating May in that episode? No. As far as I can recall a bad person never defeated anyone of the main cast in a head on fair battle.
Judging by the title of that episode, Harley is going to make the odds look severly against May, though.

As for "what's the point of bringing the guy back so soon just to have him lose again?" I don't know, but after the Grand Festival it took about 22 episodes to get to Saffron contest. From the Saffron contest to AG 160 is about 17 episodes. So I don't really think it is really that fast.

Anyway, I guess only the writers and time can tell with 100% certainty if I'm wrong. ;-)

Ah, now I see hwre you're coming from. But Harley isn't a bad guy. Defeatng him is entirely different to defeating Jessie and James.

Is he a good coordinator? It could be that he is a good cheater. Just because May got over it, (which in itself was only because Ash is obsessive about Drake,) doesn't mean that other coordinators did. Harley lloked like he knew what he was doing.

I haven't seen that much of Drew, so I can't really judge him.

"bad person" as in "doing bad things" in this case cheating, not telling that Houen contest cards are invalid in Kanto contest etc, while not being pure evil.
Being pure evil or being "bad guys" would be like TA, TM etc.

Edit: fixed my English.

Which is why Harley "can" win. He's not a villain, at least not in the same vain as TR, Team Magma, and Team Aqua were.

Honestly, if Gary and Drew are allowed to beat Ash/May then I don't see why Harley can't beat May either.

Harley is a HELL of a lot eviller than Drew or Gary. Gary was only a sort-of bad guy in Kanto, anyway, and he didn't beat Ash in that region. Really, just because Harley doesn't technically break the law doesn't make him any less of a villain.

He hasn't stolen any Pokémon or done anything eviler than cheat.

Harley is to May what Masamune was to Ash. But he is staying for a fourth battle so he needs to win to keep any of the respect that someone with five ribbons should have.

He hasn't stolen any Pokémon or done anything eviler than cheat.
But in terms of the story, he is a villain. That's what the writers have set him up to be. He, unlike Masamune, is a Bad Person. Which is why he loses so often - it's not that he's pathetic, it's that the writers don't want to send out the message that nice guys finish last.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom