• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

AG 164 Title

A Jungle Battle? Definately sounds like Sceptile will be used here.

Where's Tarzan when you need 'im?

And dear God, can't they use something else besides 'Fierce Fighting!'?

Meh. I wouldn't worry too much. It'll be gone by the end of the year, anyway.

Sceptile is gonna be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy overused for the series.

It'll problably be gone as fast as Charizard was after Ash started to gain control of it - so about 4 months from now, I'd think.

At the moment, three symbols and ribbons. However, there is likely to be two of each left by the end of this episode.

Yeah Ash has 4 symbols (Noland, Greta, Tucker, Lucy) and May will have 3 ribbons by the time that Drew/Wakana contest episode airs.

It's obvious that the writers are pressed for time, which is why everything is happening quickly.

After this we still have two more Brains for Ash (Anabel, Brandon), 2 more ribbons for May, and then another Grand Festival for May.

Seeing as how Ash might still lose against one of the Brains that may take some time, and May could still lose one more contest (after the Harley one).

Here's hoping Ash has something extra after Brandon though. Otherwise May will have a league this saga and Ash won't. I'm still hoping for Wallace to be Ash's final opponent after Ash gets all 7 symbols.

Realisitically, I'd say that if Ash battles a champion after the Frontier, it'll be Steven or Wallace - both of whom actually own the title, the latter of which even more likely since he was kicked out of his Gym by Adan.

And compare the Orange Islands 'league' final to any other real league. Battling Drake was practically like battling in the Indigo, Johto or Hoenn leagues anyway - only without about 6 or so episodes centric around the thing. Considering May's Grand Festival wont last more than 3 eps itself, could possibly be shortened to 2 and maybe even shown as an all in one special again, it's really not that unbalanced.

Assuming May actually wins this Grand Festival that is. THAT would be a bit unbalanced - considering Ash has never won a major Tournament, only the Orange League reworking of the Elite 4 concept.

At most May will probably defeat her rival Drew at this Grand Festival and then lose to a new coordinator. (ala how Ash defeated Gary but lost to Harrison)

Robert represents how powerful you have to be to win the Grand Festival, and May isn't anywhere near his level. It's likely that May will lose the GF quite a few times before she wins.

That really depends on whether the writers want to keep her. If she is in the D/P saga, (which partly depends on what the games will feature,) then she will definately lose. If the writers decide to take her out for a while, she will either win or lose and decide to do some intensive training on her own.

FabuVinny said:
If the writers decide to take her out for a while, she will either win or lose and decide to do some intensive training on her own.

If they do get rid of May - they'll have to start foreshadowing WHY pretty damn soon at this rate. Misty was easy enough to get rid of, her sisters unsurprisingly sodded off leaving the Gym unmanned. Brock, again, easy to get rid of - all he needed was a pretty girl.

But May is the same as Ash - she'd rather continue her journey to fulfill her dream and do that with her friends. I couldn't see her going off to do Contests on her own - not right now.

Agreed, not to mention May's love of traveling and her attachment to Ash. Remember after Hoenn May came all the way to Kanto just to be with Ash again, and this was BEFORE she knew contests would be there at the time.

Then again its pretty obvious that May is a long term character so its pointless to talk about this. If a character like Brock (who the writers don't even bother focusing on anymore) can last through 3 regions doing absolutely nothing but flirt with girls and cook food, than May certainly has more stamina than any other character.

They made up Contests for the Kanto region and they made up the Grand Festival. They can certainly do this again, no question about it.

May is the "Ash" for girls, and its pretty obvious that the writers love the dynamic of having one character of each gender play the role of the hero. They also love her character, as she has had constant spotlight throughout AG. Not only does she have her own story arc, her own rivals, and her own goal, but she also has a large chunk of filler episodes devoted to her as well. There were some segments of AG where May overshadowed Ash completely, and she's the ONLY character to ever take the spotlight away from Ash for more than a few filler episodes.

I don't ever see May being replaced, not anytime soon due to her immense popularity and her status as the second most important character on the series.

I agree with Fabuvinny that if May does win this Grand Festival,it does lean a bit more towards May leaving the series.Since it'd seem like the writers would want to wrap up everything with May and then throw out some BS reason for her to leave.Personally,I'm hope she stays because I'm rooting for the Ash/May/Misty combo.

Anyway,the Battle Palace episode *should* be quite important to the mythos since it addresses the issue of how important Trainers are.Even to the initiated,people sometimes wonder why Trainers are necessary during battles.Especially when Trainers bark out obvious orders like,"Dodge that Hyper Beam!" (gee,you think!? ¬¬) There have been episodes before that show Trainers are in fact useful (Two Hits and a Miss comes to mind),but the Battle Palace will address the subject head on since the Pokemon battle without any direction from their Trainers.

If they keep that in it.

Hopefully they do, It'd translate a lot better than most of the other Frontier gimmicks.

I somehow think that in this episode that Sceptile will somehow be able to use attacks again, seeing as it couldnt after the Tropius episode. And I think there's 3 more symbols... Anabel, Brandon, Spencer. o_O

For the May controversy, I think I'm gonna start a new topic on this. XD Cause It's kinda getting big in the wrong topic. o.o

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom