• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG067: Dancing Battle! Runpappa!!

Zak

STAR BRINGING PURPLE
Reaction score
Dancing Battle! Ludicolo!

Well, I gathered that this is NOT Brock's Lombre that evolves. It belongs to a trainer in the woods named Pancho, who trains his Ludicolo with his drums. Also, it's Corphish's turn in the spotlight. Ash battles this guy, wants to use Grovyle, but the paranoid Corphish insists that Ash let him battle Ludicolo instead.

Now... what I'm not sure about is: Is Corphish jealous and wants to evolve too? Or is Corphish just paranoid and thinking that Ash favors Grovyle cause of its stage, and wants to prove that he can battle just as well without evolving?

Well, maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure I heard "Heigani" and "Shinka" in the same sentence. I doubt it evolves either way though, because it's unlikely they'd give Ash a Dark type, especially Crawdaunt which could get you arrested. :rolleyes: OMG HE HAS A CRAWDAUNT, HE'S FROM TEAM AQUA!

But actually, I don't think it was the Crawdaunt that got the guy suspicious back in "Stairway to Devon", but I think they gathered it from Mischief-maker + Crawdaunt = Team Aqua member. Everyone knows Ash is a good boy...

Now... better hit Submit before I get off the subject...

~Zak

Zak said:
Well, maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure I heard "Heigani" and "Shinka" in the same sentence. I doubt it evolves either way though, because it's unlikely they'd give Ash a Dark type, especially Crawdaunt which could get you arrested. :rolleyes: OMG HE HAS A CRAWDAUNT, HE'S FROM TEAM AQUA!

That would be *hilarious* though. Remember how big they are on running gags on this show.

I've always wondered what it would be like if they met another talking Meowth...

Looks to me like Heigani is getting discouraged by how easily Runpappa is dodging everything, and Satoshi wants to prove to Heigani that it's possible to be strong before evolution.

We won't see this episode in the states, that's for sure.

Not just Ludicolo, but an actual Mexican man in a sombrero who fights with bongo drums.

Nope, this'll never air in today's "Be Politically Correct or DIE" America.

Rhythm?

Could this be the premiere of the 'Own Rhythm' attribute? We will have to wait and see.

That aside, I am happy to see that, once again, we see Ash actually training his Pokémon. In this case, teaching Corphish to have faith in himself and how to use the power he has against a tough opponent.

On the other hand, it is pretty clear that Ash still hasn't got over his problems with type-vs-type calculations. Putting a water-type up against a grass/water-type? What is that kid smoking? :eek:hdear: This is especially so as he has a perfectly good fire-type in Torkoal who he has trained to use powerful fire-type moves himself.

Once again, the all-powerful need for a plot device makes Ash look stupid. :banghead:

This is especially so as he has a perfectly good fire-type in Torkoal who he has trained to use powerful fire-type moves himself.

Ludicolo's very strong, in general. They're not weak to Fire-Type moves because they're part water. And since Ludicolo can learn Water-Type moves, Torkoal would be a bad choice too.

Really, the only Pokemon Ash has that could handle Ludicolo with ease is Taillow.

NeoKuwa said:
We won't see this episode in the states, that's for sure.

Not just Ludicolo, but an actual Mexican man in a sombrero who fights with bongo drums.

Nope, this'll never air in today's "Be Politically Correct or DIE" America.

Has anyone complained about Ludicolo in any sort of public forum (message boards, newspaper articles, etc)? Has anyone written any type of article or rant about how Ludicolo is a racist stereotype of Hispanics and how offensive it is?

No.

Therefore, the episode will be dubbed and aired. The people who would complain (parents) wouldn't be able to do so until after the episode airs anyway, since most parents don't bother looking at the Game Boy games. The episode will be fine.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
No one complained about Jynx either until *she* hit the airwaves.

And even then, the complaint was considerably late, given when the episode cited aired...

You mean Holiday Hi-Jynx? Don't they still do that one on Cartoon Network?

Besides, that one managed MANY repeats.

Any chance CN would have their rights to the Ice Cave ep, given that they still air 'Cool and 'Cruel?

But yeah, try staying on topic.

Anyways, given how this episode is, something tells me it won't be a filler. I don't think Corphish evolves, but I think there better be *SOME* event involving Corphish, rather than just some battle. My money on a new attack for Corphish. Lets see... it's got Vicegrip (not anymore really) Bubblebeam, Crabhammer, Harden... and that's it. I'm hoping for Guillotine or Swords Dance. :)

~Zak

BenRG said:
Could this be the premiere of the 'Own Rhythm' attribute? We will have to wait and see.
-It's called "Own Tempo", and Ludicolo does not have that ability.

-Didn't Corphish already use Swords Dance in the Flannery battle? The synopsis GoldenNoctowl wrote says, "Megu uses Smokescreen, but Corphish blows it away by using a spinning crab hammer." Misspellings aside, that attack looked more like a Swords Dance to me.

I'm kind of expecting Corphish to learn a new move, too. But since the remaining ones it learns naturally are kind of boring, I think it might be a TM move.

This season has been rather generous with the TM moves.

Lesse I could see Corphish learning: Guillotine, Crunch, Water Pulse, Ice Beam, Rain Dance, Dig (or does it already know that?), Brick Break, Body Slam, Double Edge, or Counter.

I say it learns Water Pulse or Crunch.

As Corphish is fighting a Pokémon that it has an indifferent performance against, if it learns a new move, as NeoKuwa suggests, it will probably be something unexpected and powerful like an electric- psychic- or bug-type move.

Or Aerial Ace, which it can learn and which is strong against Ludicolo.

Please note: The thread is from 20 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom