• Another exciting episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

REVIEW: AG126: Start the Preliminaries! Masamune Appears!!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 126: "Start the Preliminaries! Masamune Appears!"

The day before the Saiyuu Convention begins, Satoshi is busy training his pokemon. Suddenly, he sees his rival, Masamune, chasing a giant onigiri! Later, Masamune falls into one of the Rocket-Dan's pitfalls, and he has to be saved by Tetsuya, the trainer with the Nyasu in boots.

Later, Masamune is fighting his first battle in the League against a trainer named Jump. Can he fend off the trainer's Eleboo with his Dumbel that doesn't know a lot of different techniques?

TK n Happy Ness

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Later, Masamune is fighting his first battle in the League against a trainer named Jump. Can he fend off the trainer's Eleboo with his Dumbel that doesn't know a lot of different techniques?
The only attack Beldum (Dumbel) knows is Take Down. Now you know why it's so hard. Plus if I can remember correctly, Electabuzz (Eleboo)'s ability is Static.

Argy

∠(>w<) #634
Reaction score
Why Masamune would use Dumbber against Eleboo when he has Haganeil is my question...

GoldChaos

Reaction score
I've seen the episode.

Several things:

Gligar, Girafarig, Growlithe, Steelix, Swampert and Beldum (evolved into Metang) is Masamune's team. Beldum evolved to Metang during its fight with Electrabuzz and gained a Psychic attack.

Masamune's final badge isn't one of the 8 known badges of Hoenn, meaning there's another gym in Hoenn we don't know about.

Tetsuya's Meowth has a even bigger hatred of Persians than TR Meowth. Apparently in the past it lost a battle with a Persian just a Tetsuya found them. After the Meowth was defeated, Tetsuya took care of it, and the Meowth became his Pokemon. The boots were originally to protect its injured feet from the snow(it was ina snowy area when this happened). Anyway, even though Tetsuya's Meowth has knocked out the opponent Persian in the preliminaries, it still wanted to beat up the unconscious Persian that Tetsuya had to recall it.

Ash's opponent was Hitmonlee. It was defeated with Iron Tail attacks.

Ash again lights the main League totch, with Professor Oak, Delia, Tracey, Misty, Norman, and Caroline watching on TV. Misty was wearing the outfit she wore during the Togepi/Mirage Kingdom episodes.

Sunain

Inactive Account
Reaction score
I think this is the one of the first times the Satoshi actual stayed in the Pokemon Stadium to watch other opponents battle live. Usually he's watching via a large screen tv while training his pokemon.

GoldChaos

Reaction score
Well, this is first league to even focus on any of the battles Ash's rivals are involved in.

Zeta

Bulbapædist
Reaction score
* What is it with the focus on Steel-types all of a sudden? They're mostly ignored for six years, then all of a sudden the writers start drooling over the Metagross line and Steelix again. What the heck?!

* I'm digging Masamune's other Pokemon. Gligar, Girafarig, and Marshtop are all interesting and unique Pokemon that didn't get the screentime they deserved.

* Tetsuya - cripes. His Pokemon have more personality than HIM! They really should've played up the Puss n' Boots angle. Tetsuya should have a rapier, roses, and old victorian style clothing. He should be like the Pokemon version of the Scarlet Pimpernel. Now THAT would've been cool. Oh well, maybe the dub will redeem itself by making his english name "Markie Carabas". Now THAT would almost make Harrison2 worth it.

Joey

Pumpkin Master
Reaction score
I can't say I've actually seen any episodes with Masamune, but he can't be all that bad if he has a gligar. Have there actually been any gligars in the series since the one episode with Gligarman?

Evie

Sheep Queen of Bulbagarden
Reaction score
116 splendid screenshots of the episode can now be found on the brand-new BulbaNews section, courtesy of [HASHTAG]#pocketmonsters[/HASHTAG] . For more information, http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net :-D

Geodude

Protecting Gotham City
Reaction score
Is there anyone here who wasn't expecting this? Still, it's great to actually see it:

Sharpshooter

Pink and Black attack!
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting her to show up at all. I thought the Mirage Island episodes were it for her. This is good news.

Oh I wish they'd keep her clothes from the Luvdisc episode, they're much better than the Mirage Island ones.

Misty

Hmm, that's a wonderful idea!
Reaction score
Sharpshooter said:
Oh I wish they'd keep her clothes from the Luvdisc episode, they're much better than the Mirage Island ones.
I agree.

BTW, Mirage Island is an actual place in the game, and I believe the anime as well. :p

And yeah, I wanted her to be there in person, damn it.

Blackjack Gabbiani

A black and white world
Reaction score
Yes, and it's the place where Drew and May ran into the Wynauts. Mirage KINGDOM is where Misty was.

Geodude

Protecting Gotham City
Reaction score
I think Mirage Kingdom is roughly equivalent to the desert from the games.

We almost never see a Pokemon "cross the line", and this Meowth almost did, before Tetsuya was able to recall it.

fruitsmoothierevenge

前向き!
Reaction score
I was kinda surprised at how angry the Meowth in Boots was with the Persian. He really pushed the envelope. I actually liked it, although I don't have a clue what 4Kids will do with it...
OK, so here's what I think I figured out. I'm pretty sure that Brock and Oak said there are now 128 contestants in the tournament. If you half those each week... this tournament is gonna take at least ten episodes. Hehe... good for the tourney lovers, bad for the TR fans, because all they're gonna do is sell concessions. But I really want to see if Meowth and Meowth in boots become friends. Perhaps Meowth knew Meowth in Boots beforehand?...
Misty was a good surprise. ^_^ I think that she'll show up in person at the end, like the last tournament of the series. Oh, the potential cuteness...

Murgatroyd

Unseen Watcher
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Brock and Oak said there are now 128 contestants in the tournament. If you half those each week... this tournament is gonna take at least ten episodes.
256. Assuming no more and no less than one round per episode, this would put it at 8 episodes if it goes all the way through the finals. If they do as in Kanto, with early rounds taking less than an episode, that would reduce the total, while if the later battles take over an episode as in Jouto, that would increase it. Then, of course, there's the question of when Ash will lose, as it's safe to assume the tournament episodes will end within one episode of that.

Zhen Lin

φιλομαθής
Reaction score
What I'd like to know is how they reduced 600+ to 256 in 1-on-1 battles. Ranking with points?

GoldChaos

Reaction score
-ༀ- said:
256. Assuming no more and no less than one round per episode, this would put it at 8 episodes if it goes all the way through the finals. If they do as in Kanto, with early rounds taking less than an episode, that would reduce the total, while if the later battles take over an episode as in Jouto, that would increase it. Then, of course, there's the question of when Ash will lose, as it's safe to assume the tournament episodes will end within one episode of that.
Yeah.

Considering that right now it's only 11 weeks till the 8th movie, they can't have that more than that.

Man how time flies.

Hales

Ash fan
Reaction score
When Ash loses? :(

How come nobody has faith in Ash? I mean they might let him win or at least come close to winning.

*looks very depressed*