• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG126: Start the Preliminaries! Masamune Appears!!

Probably Ash will lose with that dude and his Meowth. Grrrr.....
I don't like that Meowth. So a hero. Pikachu should kick his ass =P

It's not that nobody has faith in Ash.

It's that nobody has faith in the scripwriters.

I don't see why Ash losing has to be a failure of the script writers. Imagine if he did win - then what? He'd just go off and try to win another one? Wouldn't that make the entire endeavour a bit pointless? At least if he loses, he can strive to reach a higher ranking in the next tournament.

Umm.... Ash isn't the best on the world. His team still isn't good. Ash has won 8 badges but badges don't make them a champ. On last episode I saw Masamune's team and I think, he is much much stronger than Ash. So it won't be fair if Ash wins Houen league. Ash is okay, but there are much better trainers with much stronger pokemon.

Jo-Jo - that's the whole point. They'll keep making stupid episodes about stupid badges until they run the series well into the ground, because they can't imagine a different premise than "must go to next league and place even better!".

There *ARE* other premises for why one may try to beat a particular league, but the writers, unoriginal slavering cretins that they are, couldn't even think of one if their life depended on it, so with EACH league we get the exact same story of "Ash gets his eight badge, make it pretty far in the league, then get beaten by some stupid rival we have never heard of before the last few episodes of the region".

Various reasons why Ash MAY want to take up the challenge of another league after winnign one :

-The new league is evil and must be defeated. Not particularly original, but it works.
-The new league is a higher-level league, or perhaps offer higher-level tournaments for people who have won other leagues before. A "pro tournament", so to speak. It's the natural step up from winning a standard league.
-ASH is not taking up the league. He's helping another character takes on the new league
-The gyms leaders each hold some part of a key to a mystery, or something similar ; Ash needs to beat them all to solve the puzzle. Then again, that would require the writers to plan ahead and link their stuff together in way they're apparently unable to.
-etc.

The whole "Ash needs to beat the GLs to place better at the next competition" thing IS already stale and boring. It was good in Orange, tolerable in Johto (and that only because the GS ball and Gary helped provide some relief), and by Hoenn it is downright boring.

Last edited:
Someone want to tell me *HOW* Ash managed to finagle his way into lighting the torch again? Any explination would be good--he had the fastest victory time, he won a random draw, Lance bribed the staff--ANYTHING.

But of course, this important detail falls by the wayside.

Oh yeah--how the heck could Shadow Ball affect Meowth? Not to mention...um...why would he teach it to walk on its back legs if the back legs were so badly beaten? Wouldn't putting extra weight on them be a *bad* idea? I can see it if the *front* legs were beaten, but...

BJG, if there's one thing that the anime has been consistent on, it's that in it, Ghost attacks can hit Normal types, but not vice-versa when the ghosts are in transparent/lucent mode. Besides, I don't really think the Shadow Ball itself did much damage to Meowth, but rather the force of it knocking Meowth back into things did most of the damage.

As far as the walking on hind legs thing, it may have been too clunky for Meowth to wear boots on all 4 feet. Plus, if all 4 feet were injured, walking upright would at least take the pressure off two of them and onto its naturally stronger hind legs.

But only two were bandaged, which indicated to me that only the hind legs were injured. But boots *do* look cooler than carrying it everywhere, which is what I think most people would have done...

Maybe he needed to get the blood circulation going again in its back legs for some reason...

-The new league is a higher-level league, or perhaps offer higher-level tournaments for people who have won other leagues before. A "pro tournament", so to speak. It's the natural step up from winning a standard league.

Considering that these are all regional competitions, it's logical to assume there must be a national League tournament as well.

It was good in Orange, tolerable in Johto (and that only because the GS ball and Gary helped provide some relief), and by Hoenn it is downright boring.

May is what really kept Hoenn going. All by herself. The series desperately needs to find a better and more definite goal for Ash or dump him as a character entirely. He's getting really, really stale. If if weren't for the breath of fresh air that was Pokemon Coordinating, this series would've been yet another rehash.

because he's never won before

making him win now would pretty much end the show
and the seasons after would become boring
...unless a powerful organization is the focus of the next season

that is if Ash wins
hehe

Anyone got an answer for the extended rival showcasing? I mean, I ain't complaining, it certainly fleshes out their characters, but anyone picked up a reason? Heh, what I just said is probably the right idea, but still... Hmmm... If done right, I don't see how Tet and Masa won't stack up against all the previous opponents.

But it's got me aching to see Tet's full team now. Metagross and Meowth.. Ho-hum. What else is he packin'!

....By the way, anyone pick up what Electabuzz was doing when it crossed its arms? Maybe it was just blocking, but any insight would be hot. Same with all those kicks Hitmonlee was throwing around.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom