• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG126: Start the Preliminaries! Masamune Appears!!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 126: "Start the Preliminaries! Masamune Appears!"

0428.jpg

The day before the Saiyuu Convention begins, Satoshi is busy training his pokemon. Suddenly, he sees his rival, Masamune, chasing a giant onigiri! Later, Masamune falls into one of the Rocket-Dan's pitfalls, and he has to be saved by Tetsuya, the trainer with the Nyasu in boots.

Later, Masamune is fighting his first battle in the League against a trainer named Jump. Can he fend off the trainer's Eleboo with his Dumbel that doesn't know a lot of different techniques?

Later, Masamune is fighting his first battle in the League against a trainer named Jump. Can he fend off the trainer's Eleboo with his Dumbel that doesn't know a lot of different techniques?

The only attack Beldum (Dumbel) knows is Take Down. Now you know why it's so hard. Plus if I can remember correctly, Electabuzz (Eleboo)'s ability is Static.

Why Masamune would use Dumbber against Eleboo when he has Haganeil is my question...

I've seen the episode.

Several things:

Gligar, Girafarig, Growlithe, Steelix, Swampert and Beldum (evolved into Metang) is Masamune's team. Beldum evolved to Metang during its fight with Electrabuzz and gained a Psychic attack.

Masamune's final badge isn't one of the 8 known badges of Hoenn, meaning there's another gym in Hoenn we don't know about.

Tetsuya's Meowth has a even bigger hatred of Persians than TR Meowth. Apparently in the past it lost a battle with a Persian just a Tetsuya found them. After the Meowth was defeated, Tetsuya took care of it, and the Meowth became his Pokemon. The boots were originally to protect its injured feet from the snow(it was ina snowy area when this happened). Anyway, even though Tetsuya's Meowth has knocked out the opponent Persian in the preliminaries, it still wanted to beat up the unconscious Persian that Tetsuya had to recall it.

Ash's opponent was Hitmonlee. It was defeated with Iron Tail attacks.

Ash again lights the main League totch, with Professor Oak, Delia, Tracey, Misty, Norman, and Caroline watching on TV. Misty was wearing the outfit she wore during the Togepi/Mirage Kingdom episodes.

I think this is the one of the first times the Satoshi actual stayed in the Pokemon Stadium to watch other opponents battle live. Usually he's watching via a large screen tv while training his pokemon.

Well, this is first league to even focus on any of the battles Ash's rivals are involved in.

* What is it with the focus on Steel-types all of a sudden? They're mostly ignored for six years, then all of a sudden the writers start drooling over the Metagross line and Steelix again. What the heck?!

* I'm digging Masamune's other Pokemon. Gligar, Girafarig, and Marshtop are all interesting and unique Pokemon that didn't get the screentime they deserved.

* Tetsuya - cripes. His Pokemon have more personality than HIM! They really should've played up the Puss n' Boots angle. Tetsuya should have a rapier, roses, and old victorian style clothing. He should be like the Pokemon version of the Scarlet Pimpernel. Now THAT would've been cool. Oh well, maybe the dub will redeem itself by making his english name "Markie Carabas". Now THAT would almost make Harrison2 worth it.

I can't say I've actually seen any episodes with Masamune, but he can't be all that bad if he has a gligar. Have there actually been any gligars in the series since the one episode with Gligarman?

Is there anyone here who wasn't expecting this? Still, it's great to actually see it:

ag126watchingashontv.jpg

I wasn't expecting her to show up at all. I thought the Mirage Island episodes were it for her. This is good news.

Oh I wish they'd keep her clothes from the Luvdisc episode, they're much better than the Mirage Island ones.

I think Mirage Kingdom is roughly equivalent to the desert from the games.

ag126meowthenraged.jpg

We almost never see a Pokemon "cross the line", and this Meowth almost did, before Tetsuya was able to recall it.

I was kinda surprised at how angry the Meowth in Boots was with the Persian. He really pushed the envelope. I actually liked it, although I don't have a clue what 4Kids will do with it...
OK, so here's what I think I figured out. I'm pretty sure that Brock and Oak said there are now 128 contestants in the tournament. If you half those each week... this tournament is gonna take at least ten episodes. Hehe... good for the tourney lovers, bad for the TR fans, because all they're gonna do is sell concessions. But I really want to see if Meowth and Meowth in boots become friends. Perhaps Meowth knew Meowth in Boots beforehand?...
Misty was a good surprise. ^_^ I think that she'll show up in person at the end, like the last tournament of the series. Oh, the potential cuteness...

I'm pretty sure that Brock and Oak said there are now 128 contestants in the tournament. If you half those each week... this tournament is gonna take at least ten episodes.
256. Assuming no more and no less than one round per episode, this would put it at 8 episodes if it goes all the way through the finals. If they do as in Kanto, with early rounds taking less than an episode, that would reduce the total, while if the later battles take over an episode as in Jouto, that would increase it. Then, of course, there's the question of when Ash will lose, as it's safe to assume the tournament episodes will end within one episode of that.

What I'd like to know is how they reduced 600+ to 256 in 1-on-1 battles. Ranking with points?

-ༀ- said:
256. Assuming no more and no less than one round per episode, this would put it at 8 episodes if it goes all the way through the finals. If they do as in Kanto, with early rounds taking less than an episode, that would reduce the total, while if the later battles take over an episode as in Jouto, that would increase it. Then, of course, there's the question of when Ash will lose, as it's safe to assume the tournament episodes will end within one episode of that.

Yeah.

Considering that right now it's only 11 weeks till the 8th movie, they can't have that more than that.

Man how time flies.

When Ash loses? :(

How come nobody has faith in Ash? I mean they might let him win or at least come close to winning.

*looks very depressed*

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom