• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG127: Opening! Saiyū Tournament!!

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Japanese Episode AG 127: "Opening! Ever Grande Tournament!"

AG127_071.jpeg

The Saiyuu Convention has begun! Satoshi and Masamune argue over who's more excited, as it's announced that all the battles in this tournament will be double battles. As Satoshi-tachi and Tetsuya look on, Masamune finds himself with a challenge on his hands from his first round opponent, Garon. Which will win the battle, brains or brawn?

Later, Satoshi too finds himself in for a tough time this round. His opponent Tomono is not going to be any pushover. Can Satoshi pull through and make it to the next round?

wait. Are ALL the battles in the Hoenn league going to be double battles?? That's cheap. They should have 6 on 6 battles in the finals, like in Indigo, Orange, and Johto

I personally think the double battles will make this tournament more interesting. Battling using 2 pokémon at the same time requires more concentration and teamwork. I'm sure we'll be seeing interesting battles from now on.

Rocketshipper said:
wait. Are ALL the battles in the Hoenn league going to be double battles?? That's cheap. They should have 6 on 6 battles in the finals, like in Indigo, Orange, and Johto
The first three rounds, reducing the participants from 256 to 32, will be double battles. After that, we don't know yet.

I should add that I haven't been overly impressed by the double battles so far in the League. Both Masamune's and Ash's battles were basically ordinary single battles in parallel.

ok cool. Judging from the next episode preview it looks like they'll go through the rest of the double battles next week, and, if they don't go skipping battles like in Indigo, Ash should be facing Masamune in the top 16. I now have renewed hope that Ash will beat Masamune, YAY!, because I doubt they'd have him lose before the best 4, since he got best 16 in Indigo and best 8 in Johto.

Edit: Another question. Have they said yet whether they are going to be battling in different stadiums at a later time, or are all the fights going to take place on that one dirt field they've been fighting on so far. It would be nice to see some element fields in this competition too, like they had in the other 3.

Last edited:
Murgatroyd said:
I should add that I haven't been overly impressed by the double battles so far in the League. Both Masamune's and Ash's battles were basically ordinary single battles in parallel.

Not only that, but they weren't very convincing. Both Masamune and Satoshi's Pokémon were beat up throughly, but still managed to KO apparently more powerful opponents with less strikes than they themselves recieved.

Are they the two Pokemon of the same evolutionary line that look most alike? Maybe Bulba/Ivy, but I don't know.

Mozz said:
Are they the two Pokemon of the same evolutionary line that look most alike? Maybe Bulba/Ivy, but I don't know.
No, definitely not. I'd say that's more Poliwhirl/Poliwrath, or perhaps Grimer/Muk.

I don't mind a few double battles as brings something fresh from the other two previous tournaments, but if they continue with this setup I'll be getting be a bit annoyed. They should know that in similar scenarios such major tennis tournaments, nobody actually watches the double matches and tend to easily favour the singles action instead. Hopefully they'll have sense and do the same here.

Ash could use a Glarie =/

I bet, Ice beam could do more than Corphish's attacks =/

Torkoal fainted. Its sad for this little, crying pal. But I'm glad, Ash doesn't have a Charizard. It would be boring.

Okay, I just saw the episode, and since I'm kinda lazy to translate dialogue and it hasn't been mentioned here, I guess I'll ask... what's the deal with that scary guy and TR?

~Zak

But from the end it looks like their forming a relationship with him. They cry happily when he gives them food for a good days job.

He is also funny when he busts through walls and yells.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom