• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG130: Rival Battle! VS Masamune!!

Argy

∠(>w<) #634
Reaction score
Satoshi beat Masamune, and he goes up against Tetsuya in the next episode. Note that the next episode will not air until June 16 due to baseball.

Wat round is he facing Tetsuya in?? Judging by the order everyone was in up on the board in AG 129 It looked like Ash would face Testuya in the best 4 round. But it would be really cool if he faced him in the last round, even if they did have to skip over two battles to get Ash there. It would be really cheap if Ash lost at top 8 again ><

MistyIRC said:
I think it's pretty much ascertained that Ash loses to Tetsuya.

Not necessarily. He would either have to beat him, or be in the top 8 AGAIN.

But... did anyone else notice it's a little fishy that he met not one, but two Richie-ish pre league friends? It's possible that it was done as a "red herring" if you know what I mean, and he either loses to someone else or wins. It's quite obvious the fans would have thought Masamune or Tetsuya would come and beat Ash. But, as stupid as the writers may be, I just can't think of WHY exactly they'd make him be top 8 again. What would it achieve?

~Zak

Then it probably won't be someone worthwhile :/ or it'd be someone they introduce from the start of battle, like Kaede.

Or maybe it'll be Enishida/Scott, hahaha... just kidding. Well, he does meet him before getting back to Pallet, though...

~Zak

Ash will only beat Tetsuya if he fights him in the final round, which is why I was asking if they said yet what round he faces Tetsuya in. If he's facing him in the top 8 or top 4 round then Ash can't win, because there would be no "friend/rival" characters left for him to face after that, but if he's facing him in the final round, then it's possible he could win. I wish Ash could win the league, that would be cool. The next episode preview for Tetsuya vs Ash looked really cool. It didn't seem like either of them had a really clear advantage in the shots I saw. I wonder if the Pikachu vs Meowth mathc will be the one that decides the winner.

The writers are probably shit scared that if Ash does win the Hoenn tournament, they may think his character might not appeal to the audience as well or that he passes his sell-by-date, which is a load of rubbish of course as trainers need to win many tournaments in order to become a pokémon master. One major one wouldn't do him any harm.

Last edited:
Don't be a hypocrite, Archaic.

I was disappointed to infer from 130 that the Satoshi/Tetsuya match is not the final, but rather the gateway to the top four. Satoshi beating Masamune got him into the top eight, and that same night he found out he was to battle Tetsuya the next day. Sorry, but unless the Tetsuya battle is really short and two more battles are crammed in, Satoshi is done in Houen.

Interesting thing is, end the time of this episode, there's a rather... interesting note in the preview. 'Final Battle Pikachu to', which, I believe would translate as 'Final Battle with Pikachu'. o.o

Anybody else notice that? Even if it's NOT refering to Pikachu, I find it a little... suspicious that Ash would know it was any sort of Last/Final Battle. o.o

No... it means the last battle of the match is Pikachu vs. someone... and then, Meowth-in-Boots.

In general, complex noun phrases in Japanese are upside-down compared to English. Last battle with Pikachu would probably be phrased as Pikachu-to-no last battle.

Archaic said:
AG130 screenshots are now available. The BulbaNews article has been updated with these.

*Dances, Bulbagarden having once again got the images out first*

I saw them on Filb first though...

Anyway, does any Lyrical Music play in this episode. I heard "Type:Wild" does?

Yeah, "Type Wild" was played during the second half of the S/M battle.

Anyone else think that this episode was rather well drawn and animated for a change? A lot of the more recent eps have been very stiff, but this one was much more dynamic and pretty.

I think it's a pity that Ash can't win the League, he's bound to go down to Tetsuya next week. (And judging by the previews, Meowth really does have the edge on Pikachu there...)

I wanna know what the story behind Team Rocket and their employer is, I havn't been able to make it out fully. Or what Meowth was saying to Tetsuya's Meowth at the end of this episode. Normally the visuals of the ep give away everything you need to know, with music and tone finishing it off for a 70% odd understanding. But this mini-storyline I'm just not fully getting at all. Anyone able to help?

It appears that the employer wants to hand over the shop to them, provided they do well (they'll probably mess up as always). I'm not sure if he's handing over the shop to them permanently or for a time though...

I'm going to bet that, in their hands, the business lasts a day. Day and a half if they're lucky.

Remember, last league it looked like they could have been leaving for a legit business too, and that sure didn't last.

Zhen Lin said:
It appears that the employer wants to hand over the shop to them, provided they do well (they'll probably mess up as always). I'm not sure if he's handing over the shop to them permanently or for a time though...

...Of course it will be permanently. The last few (In fact, the whole damn League.) has been building up to Team Rocket leaving. We see them being treated nicely by their New Boss, something they never had in TR. We see them eating lots of delicious food, something they never had in TR. We see them happy, and content. And hardly unhappy about the idea of taking over the shop.

TR is leaving. Come a few episodes, this will be the last we see of them. And that'll be that. We won't see a final confrontation between them and Ash- it'll be just like Arbok and Wezzing~ They'll never appear again and Ash won't question is *once*. -_-

Sorry, but that's just the feeling I'm getting. And it's totally shit, because Team Rocket, dammit, are the only ones that actually have some entertainment value. Ash isn't- It's usually the people he's fighting against that I'm interested in. May... kinda is, but she doesn't do anything that warrents a smirk like she used to. (Taking a pillow out of the Pokemon Centre. That would just plain cute.) Max... well, his attitude can be cool sometimes. Brock... LOL. He stopped being funny when he came back in Johto. In Kanto, he was Da Man.

Last edited:
I been wondering, is this the last season for Pokemon? If it is, they shouldn't make Ash lose, but if it's not then I can accept that he may have another shot at another major league competition

Last edited:
I have to agree with Alfonso that it appears (not sure if it is really the case) that the series is setting up an exit for TR. If this is the case, I am conflicted. They are my favorite characters by far- I enjoy watching them every week. On the other hand, their role in the series has become pathetic and repetitive, and if they can leave in order for there to be a "fresher" antagonist, then it might be the right direction for the series, and I would approve of that.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom