• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG151: Rival is a Salaryman!?

Zak

STAR BRINGING PURPLE
Reaction score
Too lazy to look into the text right now, but this looks like a Contest episode situated in "Silver Town". And I believe that may be Frenzy Plant that Venusaur is using. :O

And her rival for this one is the "Salary man". Whatever that is... it probably says something in the text, but I gotta collapse to sleep now.

~Zak

Salaryman = one who receives a salary - i.e. a company employee (as opposed to a business owner).

It's one of those wasei eigo phrases.

Is anyone else surprised how fast the anime is moving now? They're going through the contests/brains really quickly now.

Well, considering they've got to get to the Pokémon Ranger series before July, this seems right.

And it's Jiruba Town, not Silver Town. The salaryman's name is Ogata.

Salaryman? Maybe it refers to Ogata the guitarist?

And what's up with Squirtle? It looks like Ogata's donewhat Harley did with Max (took them away and give them something)

They had too much filler earlier on. They need to speed up if they are going to do everything in time.

Which makes me wonder why we had 15 episodes between the first two Brains.

It's almost as if the writers thought that this was going to be another 3 year region (like Johto and Hoenn), so they made 15 episodes between Ash's Brains, which is what Johto/Hoenn had between most Gyms, and then realised that they only have half a year to finish this, so now they're rushing the Brains/Contests.

Not that I'm complaining, the less filler the better.

The so-called salaryman appears to be some kind of rocker dude. By the way, people over at Serebii are saying Pikachu learned Volt Tackle. Can someone confirm this?

Well, it looks like May won...

One thing I'm confused about though. People on PokeAni seem to be pretty bent on the fact that based on the preview for the next ep (Dragonair one) Corphish evolves. However, isn't the battle dome after that? Or is there a possibility of it having nothing to do with the actual anime?

~Zak

The Newtype summary for the Dome episode says that Satoshi will use Heigani and Ohsubame. Could be an attempt to hide spoilers, but I doubt it.

Crawdaunt are involoved in the episode, but we have seen them with Team Aqua before and I highly doubt that Ash will get a part-dark Pokémon. The most likely case is that they are just random Pokémon terrorising the lake.

Back to this episode, I'm sure I have seen that guy May is up against in the games...

Last edited:
The comic shows Corphish beating Tuckers Pokemon, so it can't evolve in the Dragonair episode.

They might differ, though. There is no way to tell until the actual episodes air.

Ogata is the guitarist and the salaryman. Mind you, I was as shocked as the audience to see him appear on stage.

Apparently, he was one of those guitarist-trainers before.

However... his wife has a problem with him participating in the contest. So he goes into a long speech about how it was his dream, and so on. The audience really liked that.

And despite all that, he lost. Though Ogata had the upper hand initially, after using Frenzy Plant, Haruka took advantage of the recoil (one turn immobility in the game) to attack Fushigibana with a continuous pecking - which brought Ogata's points down to the same level as Haruka's. He gambles on one more Frenzy Plant, which brings Haruka down to a narrow sliver of a bar. But Wakasyamo executes a Sky Uppercut and knocks out Fushigibana. She does find a group of Spear though...

Also. The Glory Day ED, as expected, now plays a recap of the episode.

Anyway... Team Rocket are conveniently written out of this episode - Musashi thinks a small-town Contest is beneath her and so goes berry hunting. To no avail.

Hmm. Hmmm hmm hmm.

attachment.php

It still says ハクリュウ instead of ハクリュー. It remains to be seen if this is intentional or truly a misspelling.

In the meantime screenshots.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom