• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG154: Startling! Frightening! Elekid!!

It really is no surprise, since the writers have given Ash a ton of evolutions in AG. The only one of his Hoenn Pokemon that may not evolve is Corphish because of it's humour, but I can definitely see Grovyle evolving before this saga ends. Other than Corphish (and Pikachu of course), his AG lineup has been filled with evolved forms and final stage Pokemon.

Kasumi-san said:
I'm just glad one of Ash's pokémon evolves again. Funny that a few weeks ago we were discussing the purpose of Phanpy being with Ash this season.

yea...everyone thought he'd have a major role due to his ABILITY...of PICK UP..at the Battle Pyramid :D...which is true...

now does...Donphan still have that same ability...? i dont remember...but i think he doesn't

No, Donphan has Sturdy. The only evolved Pokémon with Pick Up is Linoone.

I wish I hadn't read this before seeing the episode but I'm glad Phanpy finally evolved. It was only a matter of time. For anyone who thinks Phany evolved too quickly, consider how long it took Snorunt to evolve. I'm not exactly sure how many episodes Ash actually had Snorunt but it couldn't have been that many (about 20 or so?).

IMO, Corphish having yet to evolve is no different than most of Ash's other basic form Pokemon. Just because it hasn't gone through a big "refusing to evolve" moment like Bulbasaur and Pikachu doesn't mean it couldn't evolve any time it wanted too. Same goes for Squirtle, Cyndaquil, and Totodile. They all have the potential, they're just not acting upon it for who knows what reason.

Sooo, any info on the episode besides? I mean, yeah, Donphan's pretty cool, but I am eager to find out what became of the egg and Manene and whatever the plot looked like it was gonna be. Can't help it, I love baby Pokémon.

Kasumi-san said:
I'm just glad one of Ash's pokémon evolves again. Funny that a few weeks ago we were discussing the purpose of Phanpy being with Ash this season.
It was just last week. Which is very ironic...

The trouble with Corphish evolving is that is is part-dark. The writers have avoided giving dark Pokémon to the main characters up until now.

Linkachu said:
I wish I hadn't read this before seeing the episode but I'm glad Phanpy finally evolved. It was only a matter of time. For anyone who thinks Phany evolved too quickly, consider how long it took Snorunt to evolve. I'm not exactly sure how many episodes Ash actually had Snorunt but it couldn't have been that many (about 20 or so?).

Too... quickly? He's had it all of Master Quest and won a couple battles with it in the Johto League...

But I had a feeling the writers had plans for Phanpy when he chose that one of all Pokemon to switch with. This actually happened to be the first time one of Ash's main Pokemon that he carries around was used in two different non-adjoining seasons. Really, until then, all the Pokemon he's stored or given away have never "returned" as one of his main team, just been used as backup for special Gym/league battles.

Or so I think... did Ash store Snorlax again after the Arena?

~Zak

FabuVinny said:
It was just last week. Which is very ironic...

The trouble with Corphish evolving is that is is part-dark. The writers have avoided giving dark Pokémon to the main characters up until now.

Yet Gary had an Umbreon. Sure he's not a "main" character, but still an important recurring character.

And Richie has a Pupitar.

So they're showing "good guys" with Dark Pokemon, just not the "main" ones.

Heh, I hope May's Eevee becomes an Umbreon. Either her or Ash need a good dark type to break this theory.

Scott85 said:
And Richie has a Pupitar.
Watch it there mate, Pupitar is just Rock/Ground. Wait till Cruz evolves into a Tyranitar before you jot it down on the list.

I'm glad Phanpy evolved. I agree with Zak on this on: it's evolution wasn't IMMENSELY obvious, I don't wish to say that. But it's inclusion at the start of BF meant something indeed.

ザック said:
Too... quickly? He's had it all of Master Quest and won a couple battles with it in the Johto League...

Hence why I said "for anyone...". Never said I personally felt it was rushed. Besides, nothing will ever be quicker than Krabby's evo (minus Caterpie to Metapod) :p

Or were you trying to say something completely different...?

it's evolution wasn't IMMENSELY obvious, I don't wish to say that.

I would. Really, if it hadn't been destined to evolve what reasoning would the writers have had to put it back in Ash's main line-up? (As in more than just a brief appearence) He could've just as easily caught a brand new Pokemon.

Last edited:
Pupitar is Rock/Ground. Tyranitar is Rock/Dark. In that way, Pupitar is similar to Corphish in that only its evolved form is a Dark type.

Wow, I'm very surprised that phanpy evolved. i've been waiting a while for this, Donphan is pretty cool, but I never really expected it to happen. Donphan always seemed to me to be too "un-cute" and big for Ash to have, but I guess starting with Snorunt the writers are finally going for evolution over "cuteness" (I didn't expect Snorunt to evolve either, for the same reason, Glalie is kind of freaky looking ^^) The onlydissapointing thing is I'd still say Phanpy evolved too fast. I know Ash got him way back in late Johto, a long time ago, but in terms of actul screen time and battle expierence Phanpy was barely around. Ash only used him in three non-team rocket battles (vs Pryce's Dewgong, vs Maizy, and vs some random person in the athlete screening; a battle we didn't even see). I was hoping he'd have at least got to battle in one of the Frontier Facilities as Phanpy before he evolved.

I'm glad we're getting a lot of good plot episodes now; it doesn't seem badly paced to me. This episode is the 22nd Battle Frontier episode (23 if you count "Scott And the Battle Frontier, which Serebii doesn't) and out of those we've had 10 episodes that could be considered filler, and some of those are debatable (some might consider Drew's apperance in the Arcanine episode to be important, and the Cleffa episode could be considered plot because it shows Misty leaving the group). Personally I'd consider the Drew episode to be plot, and in that case the biggest run of filler we've had was the three between that episode and the Saffron Contest. And it seems like the next three episodes are plot too. So far I'd say Battle Frontier is pretty good ^^.

How many filler episodes would people say the Orange Islands had? To me if you were going to compare Battle Frontier's progression to anything it'd have to be that set of episodes.

I haven't seen the majority of Battle Frontier yet so I can't really comment on what I consider "filler" or not, but I don't think a lot of plot is a bad thing. At all. Most of the Anime series' that I consider really great seem to be plot all the way through with minimal filler and that's what keeps them interesting. Every episode of Pokemon should have some sort of purpose, even if it's minimal.

I don't know about other people but I don't count episodes like the Fighting Dojo episode where Ash and May battled each other as filler.

Most of the filler we had was between Noland and Greta. There were like 15 episodes in between those facilities (although only 7 or 8 were actually filler, the others were either contests, rival appeareances, new captures or evolutions).

The only recent filler was that Dragonair episode.

Ash hasn't had any "cute" Pokemon on his team since AG started. Treecko was more touch than cute, Corphish never gave me the cute vibe either.

Ash has matured, thus in AG his Pokemon are maturing with him. His entire AG team, Grovyle, Swellow, Corphish, Torkoal, Glalie, Donphan are anything but "cute".

The writers even went and evolved May's cute Torchic into a fierce Combusken. The cuteness factor has never been apparent in AG, thank goodness. The writers also seem to evolve Pokemon a lot more often in AG compared to the first 5 seasons.

I think they've just made May's Pokemon responsible for the show's cuteness factor. Which does make a lot more sense. I mean sure - Torchic evolved, but most of the rest of May's team is either comprised of cute and pretty Pokemon (Skitty, Beautifly, Bulbasaur) or Pokemon that are explicitly supposed to be infants (Munchlax, Squirtle, Eeveeinanegg).

Again, I don't mind it, though. A penchant for leaving Pokemon unevolved and adorable makes a lot more sense for a coordinator than a battler.

Linkachu said:
I would. Really, if it hadn't been destined to evolve what reasoning would the writers have had to put it back in Ash's main line-up? (As in more than just a brief appearence) He could've just as easily caught a brand new Pokemon.
I wouldn't because I like to cover my own ass. I don't need to spout of the coming of something, then have it come back to haunt me.

Plus I'm not one to trust the writers.

Scott85 said:
Ash hasn't had any "cute" Pokemon on his team since AG started. Treecko was more touch than cute, Corphish never gave me the cute vibe either.
Bull shit. Snorunt is the cuter than Winston Churchill.

Ooohhhhh. You must mean marketable cuteness.

Snorunt is great. But look how long it stayed cute and lovable...

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom