• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG154: Startling! Frightening! Elekid!!

Phanpy evolves to Donphan when it was battling TR's new Golem mech. It also used a new move, Hyperbeam.

Cool, yet another powerhouse added to Ash's arsenal.

What I also like about Phanpy/Donphan is it's his only Ground type, so it's a type he never really had before. He could use it against strong Electric Pokemon and come out with a win!

So Donphan knows Earthquake (used back in the Silver Cofnerence), Hidden Power and Hyper Beam? Pretty strong attacks for what was once a little baby Pokemon.

AG154_006.jpeg

So after spending most of this saga in its Pokéball, suddenly Phanpy is out (and the only one out) for no particular reason. That's the thing with these writers... You can almost tell that it will evolve before you even see the title card. :rolleyes:

Now all that's left is for that blasted egg to hatch. How much longer can they possibly drag it out?

At least May doesn't hold the egg in her arms all day, so that's a plus.

Yeah, but thankfully it's not the whole episode. Plus in the Contest episode and the Tucker one she wasn't really holding it.

I would imagine these writers learned their lesson from Togepi, so hopefully this egg will hatch sooner rather than later. I want to see May's new Eevee...

I was hoping the reason Phanpy was brought back was due to a future evolution. Maybe we'll see a little more of it now?

But I have to say I wasn't expecting it to be during this episode, we saw it in the preview for a second or two, they don't seem to be spoilering things anymore, not that that's a bad thing I like surprising things like this. Wow, and Hyper Beam too. I can't wait to see it. ^_^

[Bulbanews] AG154 - Startling! Frightening! Elekid!!: AG154 has aired in Japan

The 154nd episode of Advanced Generation, ????????????????? ''Startling! Frightening! Elekid!!'', aired in Japan this week. For a summary (with major spoilers) and screenshots, read more.

Link To Original Article

I wouldn't because I like to cover my own ass. I don't need to spout of the coming of something, then have it come back to haunt me.

Heh... Good advice ;)

So after spending most of this saga in its Pokéball, suddenly Phanpy is out (and the only one out) for no particular reason. That's the thing with these writers... You can almost tell that it will evolve before you even see the title card.

Ditto to that... They have a tendency to do that with most of the Pokemon. A little foreshadowing is good, but the way they sometimes do it you'd be more surprised if the Pokemon didn't evolve :p

Thanks, Bulbabot.

"154nd"!! Haha! Me stoopid!

Yay. Donphan is a great addition to Ash's squad, though I didn't expect an evolution this soon. Pretty much no one did. Some people over at Serebii are deeply annoyed that the egg didn't hatch. I could care less. If it's an Eevee, that puts off its appearance until after the Pokemon Ranger arc, which has been speculated to include the three revealed episodes. Woohoo! I hate Eevee. The only way the writers could be redeemed for such a mistake is if it evolves into a Jolteon. Oh, well. Sorry for getting off topic. Anyhoo, darn Serebii still hasn't got the episode pics up. :disgust:

The reason Elekid was going crazy, as Brock figured out at one point, was that it was suffering from the same type of sickness that affected Pikachu in early AG, it had too much Electric energy built up in its body. That's how it was able to beat up all those Grass-types.

Loved the parts with Manene imitating Phanpy, the little clown doesn't seem to have anything against the "twerps" by itself...

None of TR's Pokemon ever have though, with the exception of Seviper. Meowth seems to fluctuate depending on what's most beneficial to him.

AG154_025.jpeg

So Phanpy is out of its Pokéball and Ash sends out Pikachu to take on Elekid? Has he ever heard of choosing the right Pokémon?

So Phanpy is out of its Pokéball and Ash sends out Pikachu to take on Elekid? Has he ever heard of choosing the right Pokémon?

If I were Phanpy, that would give me enough reason to smack the crap out of Ash and then run away.

Zeta said:
If I were Phanpy, that would give me enough reason to smack the crap out of Ash and then run away.

That's Chikorita/Bayleef's job to care about that, remember? :p

Geodude said:
The reason Elekid was going crazy, as Brock figured out at one point, was that it was suffering from the same type of sickness that affected Pikachu in early AG, it had too much Electric energy built up in its body. That's how it was able to beat up all those Grass-types.
Which is a surprisingly nice bit of continuity. I like how they've given Electric types this problem as a potential side effect of the way their powers work. It actually makes sense in a way. Their bodies produce electricity and excess power is shed into the atmosphere (they would also absorb power from the atmosphere), but if their internal polarity got mixed up they would just store more and more and overload.

As for Donphan, its the largest Pokemon Ash has had on his main team since Charizard left back in Johto. Its even bigger than Bayleef! I agree that its evolution was not rushed and it was a great surprise for this episode.

Pokemon Fan said:
As for Donphan, its the largest Pokemon Ash has had on his main team since Charizard left back in Johto. Its even bigger than Bayleef! I agree that its evolution was not rushed and it was a great surprise for this episode.
Cough snorlax cough.

He said "main team". Since Snorlax hasn't been on Ash's team for any significant length of time since the Orange Islands, it doesn't count. :p

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom