• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG155: Pokémon Ranger Appears! Celebi Rescue Mission!!

The current season may have missed the boat with references to 1st season episodes and/or Gym leaders/characters, but it's still damn good.

That's my only complaint about the current season. Otherwise it's been pretty good, I only hope it can end well.

I imagine the reason there haven't been any references to the Kanto Days Of Yore is because most of the kids watching the show nowadays are too young to remember them. What's the point in constantly bringing up Primape and Haunter and the old filler characters when most of the viewers are just going to sit there and go "Buh? Who's that?" It's only us older fans who want the past characters to come back, and we aren't part of the target audience. Sadly, some people have difficulty accepting that. -_- *glances at SPPF*

Jo-Jo you could say the same from this forum as well. Except this one has more 1st season nostalgia bias than SPPF.

Yeah, but most of the uber-wanky, "OMG the anime SUCKS BALLS because it isn't pandering to me!!!" remarks I've seen were on SPPF. Some people have such self-entitlement issues.

Looking back isn't neccessarily bad

Doctor Oak said:
Some of them probably have no idea of past events. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the writers on the job are lucky to have experience of even the Hoenn eps when they come to write the BF eps.
I'm sure that this is true. After all, in the modern entertainment industry, scripts are usually written by staff writers, contract employees who may be writing for a different show the next week. It is unusual for a show to have a writing team who are dedicated to that show and have some form of appreciation of a progressive continuing story (unless it is a soapy 'romance' storyline in a sitcom :rolleyes: ).

It is a sad fact, though, and somewhat reduces the quality of the show. If I were one of The Powers That Be, I would at least have a booklet entitled "The Pokémon Animé For Dummies" that would explain the basic, established character backstories, interactions, major past events and Pokémon released and where they may be found. I would also make it a term of employment that the writers should be aware of this information and, if the opportunity exists (realistically and relevantly, not a deus ex machina crowbar plot device to re-use an old Pokémon or character), the character or situation should be either used or referred to.

I understand Jo-Jo's objection to past continuity. However, it is really only laziness on the scriptwriters' part that makes this objection an insurmountable one. I suspect that the kids currently watching the show would be quite interested to learn that Ash has been in these parts before and has unfinished business with some of the inhabitants. Indeed, as there is also a significant young adult audience for the animé too, such references would help retain them.

BenRG said:
I understand Jo-Jo's objection to past continuity. However, it is really only laziness on the scriptwriters' part that makes this objection an insurmountable one. I suspect that the kids currently watching the show would be quite interested to learn that Ash has been in these parts before and has unfinished business with some of the inhabitants. Indeed, as there is also a significant young adult audience for the animé too, such references would help retain them.

In the West, at least, the original series tends to get repeated at least every other year - so it's not as if there's no access to those episodes.

Outside of that, there are always flashbacks.

Indeed, in Johto we had Lapras and various other characters making reappearences from either Kanto or early Johto and half of them were lucky to even get flashbacks.

There's nothing stopping them outside of the writers - who, as mentioned probably have no idea about those past events.

Here's Pikachu making faces at the weakened Celebi to cheer it up:

ag155pikafunnyface.jpg
ag155pikafunnyface2.jpg
ag155pikafunnyface3.jpg
ag155pikafunnyface4.jpg
ag155pikafunnyface5.jpg

Was it explained how the Capture Styler worked? I mean from what I read here about it being able to tell what attacks a Pokemon knew, it was more a way to know what Pokemon to ask for help than to directly control them. Perhaps it improves communication between human and Pokemon and thus the Pokemon is willing to help out? I just don't see the characters all reacting well if it was direct temporary mind control. They've always shown that as morally wrong in the anime.

I suddenly see similarites with the Imperious Curse in the Harry Potter series. And casting that once gets you life imprisonment in Azkaban. This is not looking good...

On another note, LOL at those screenshots, Geodude. You gotta love it when Pikachu makes faces.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom