• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG155: Pokémon Ranger Appears! Celebi Rescue Mission!!

ZoraJolteon said:
According to Pokeani, no egg hatching. Officer Jenny does make her first appearence for a while though.

So...
1) What is Hinata's introduction like? Any interesting reactions to her?
2) Does anything actually make this episode 'special' in any way?
3) What happens at the end? Is everything happy? Is May sent through time, much to the shock of the characters and to the delight of Pie?

FabuVinny said:
3) What happens at the end? Is everything happy? Is May sent through time, much to the shock of the characters and to the delight of Pie?

I hope that's either sarcasm or an error. (Or must I remind you of my OH GOD NO reaction to hearing the episode's name? >>')

Oh, right. X3 Yes, I suppose even the darkest of clouds have silver linings...

All I have to go in is what Pokeani said. Celebi exhausts itself putting out a forest fire, while Ash is on his way to the Battle Pike. However the road is closed, so he has to make a detour through the forest, Pikachu runs off and meets Plusle and the ranger, who invites him deeper into the forest, then it trails off.

Ok... seen the episode.

Intro updated again. Replacing Phanpy with Donphan. Mysterious Dungeon scenes still in.

Episode begins with a forest fire, with a bunch of Pokemon watching the blaze. Celebi flies in and creates special thorned vines that put out the fire. Once the fire is gone, the vines dissipate. Celebi is exhausted though, managing barely enough energy for a time travel/teleport to escape a falling tree. However once it reappears elsewhere, it has little energy felt that it floats to the ground. weak. It does however creates hoards of vines to surround itself.

Cut to Ash and Co. They are headed to the Cycling Road so they can make their way to Fuschia City, the location of the Battle Pike. However, the Cycling Road is closed, due to a massive overgrowth of vines. A Officer Jenny points them to a detour path that's sits aside a forest.

On the path however, Pikachu senses something, and runs off into the forest. Ash and co give chase, but is then blocked by Hinata, the Pokemon Ranger, with her Plusle. Ash explains that he's trying to find his Pikachu, and then Hinita reports in, as her Capture Styler doubles as a cell phone apparently. Hinita allows the group to join her as they make their way towards the vines.

Already at the vines is Pikachu. As he goes through the vines, he runs past Team Rocket, who are stuck among the outgrowth.

Back to Ash and co, as they reach the vines. They can't get through. Hinita explains that these vines were created by Celebi. Then Hinita uses the Capture Styler to take command of three Linoone, and have them cut through the vines.

Back to Pikachu, as it has found Celebi. Seein Celebi's weak, it's goes off to find something for Celebi to eat.

Back to Ash and co, where Hinita's continuing her explanations. They soon come upon the trapped Team Rocket. The Linoone free them on Hinita's command, but they are told to leave the forest.

Cut to Pikachu, where it has provided some berries for Celebi to eat.

Ash and co reach a part wher the vines are really thick. The Linoone run off, their job done. Hinita uses the Capture Styler on a Diglet and Dugtrio to dig under the vines to reach the other side. This path allows them to reach Celebi and Pikachu. The group spends the night watching over Celebi till it gets better.

Next morning, Celebi's all better. It flies up and makes all the thorns disappear. However, ruining the moment is Team Rocket, where they capture Celebi with their new robot. Hinita stops them by having Plusle attack the robot while she forces open one of the claws. Celebi is freed, and the robot blows up, sending Team Rocket flying up, and crashing down. However, they won't give up. It's Jame's Cacnea and Jessie's Serviper versus Brock's Marshtomp and Ash's Pikachu. Cue usual ownage of Team Rocket, with Pikachu's Volt Tackle as the finishing blow.

The robot blows up a bit more, causing the nearby trees to catch on fire. Celebi demonstrates its powers by creating those same vines to put out the fires like at the beginning of the episode, impressing the gang.

Soon everyone parts ways. Episode ends with Ash and co biking on the Cycling Road towards Fuschia City.

One interesting piece of trivia: Hinata asks Satoshi-tachi to keep the presence of Celebi a secret, as it is a legendary Pokémon, so as to not attract attention to the situation.

Another piece of trivia: the Styler is also a condition checker - Hinata uses it to determine what moves a Pokémon can use.

So, the writers do at least remember landmarks in Kanto. (Mt Moon, Cycling Road.)

One other interesting thing: Masato wishes he could have played with Celebi more, and Satoshi says that they will meet Celebi again, somewhere, sometime. It's almost as if they remember...

So Ash and Brock remembered "Celebi" right? They didn't say "Oh what's that? It really exists?" or anything like that? Were they at all surprised when they saw it?

Scott85 said:
Were they at all surprised when they saw it?
Not when they saw it, but they were surprised to hear about it when Hinata mentioned it. All they did was gasp its name, though (except Masato, who asked if it was the Serebii, the Guardian of the Forest). Haruka mentioned that it was cute and Pokédexed it, and Masato was amazed, but Satoshi was more interested in having found Pikachu and Takeshi just hung back.

While it was laying on the blanket, Masato says that it could travel through time, Haruka's like "Time travel?", and Takeshi explains what that is (o_O) and says that it probably came from another time. Satoshi's completely silent.

Last edited:
Blah.

....Nope, just blah. I don't really think the ep deserves any more.

Doctor Oak said:
Blah.

....Nope, just blah. I don't really think the ep deserves any more.

Er,yeah..... This episode was just OK. =/

The best part about it was Serebii itself,and all the abilities it showed off during the episode.Everything else was just meh.The animation was pretty lousy too.

*shrug* And I'm still not so sure about this Pokemon Ranger thing.After the episode,I'm still unconvinced by this whole new concept.

Kasumi-san said:
Why are you repeating what was posted in a previous post?
Sorry Kasumi-san, Okay I will not repeat that previous post again.

Last edited:
Ash remembered?

Well, I suppose that you could interpret Ash's disinterest as remembering the Celebi that he met in the fourth movie. May, of course, has never met one, hence her fangirl response. I wonder what Professor Birch will think when her PokéDex reports back that she has seen a Celebi? ;-)

It is very unusual to see The Powers That Be acknowledge continuity in any way. Maybe this, along with his occasionally meeting his old Pokémon again, is a sign that the animé is developing a more continuous story approach, rather than its previous unrelated episodic stories.

I don't see this changing much, the show has always had continuity when a certain writer wants to make it apparent. All owned old Pokemon are always remembered, past league accomplishments are always remembered, as well as rivals, etc.

It really depends on the writer, some of them don't like to reference past events for some reason.

Some of them probably have no idea of past events. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the writers on the job are lucky to have experience of even the Hoenn eps when they come to write the BF eps.

It would certainly explain the fact that Ash and co have been travelling through Kanto for a while now and not once have they picked up any loose strings from their first trek-through.

I mean, the least they could have done was picked up on Primape or even Koga - but nooooooo.

Johto had some nice call-backs that stretched as far back as the first episode. I think the furthest we've gone back with the Battle Frontier so far is (THE) Jigglypuff being referenced in the Jigglypuff ep right at the start.

It's been said before and I totally agree: Battle Frontier is definitely a season of a million missed opportunities.

Pokémon in general is a show of missed opportunities. Kanto2 just brings it to new levels.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom