• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG157: Haruka Travels Through Time!!

Scott85 said:
I disagree, the reason he only has 5 Pokes is so he could use his reserves easily. Honestly, it's a hassle for Ash to decide which Pokemon to send to Oaks everytime he wants to use an oldie. The writers avoided this because they don't want to constantly show Ash call up Oak and switch his Pokemon, so he has an open slot in the time being.
Whats the hassle they had snorlax just appear and disappear they can do the same thing with switching temporarily.

^ Because if he had 6 Pokes, Ash would have to decide which one of his current ones to send to Oak.

Since he only has 5, the writers can skip that scene as Ash is not sending anything to Oaks to get Snorlax.

Blah. I had a feeling it would be Eevee. Because May needs more super cute and special stuff, really. I hope she evolves it into one of the Kanto ones, but I know better - it'll likely stay an Eevee, become an Espeon, or turn into an even more adorable and special 4th-gen Eeveelution, because May absolutely needs a full team of sparkly girly baby Pokémon or the show will implode before our eyes.

Ash needs to catch more Pokémon. Seriously. And so does Brock, which is why it was great that he finally got Bonsly. There's no reason why May should be getting so many Pokémon while everyone else has been getting virtually none - what ever happened to the Pokémon Ash caught for the sake of catching? Like Krabby and Tauros and Muk? Ash has barely scratched the surface of Kanto Pokémon - why not get more, now that he has the opportunity?

His next capture better be REALLY good, given how much of delay there's been.

Pie said:
There's no reason why May should be getting so many Pokémon while everyone else has been getting virtually none -

I really don't understand the argument against May getting new Pokemon.

Ash has a team of 5 Pokemon, plus Charizard and Squirtle, plus a gazillion back at Oaks. He has more than enough Pokemon to win the Battle Frontier.

What did May enter the BF saga with? She had TWO Pokemon, Combusken and Munchlax. Do you honestly expect the writers to have May win every contest with two measly Pokemon?

The writers gave her two more Pokemon (Squirtle, Eevee) because she needs a decent team. She only has 4 Pokemon with her, therefore she needs to accumulate a decent party if she hopes to succeed in the Grand Festival.

You're comparing her to Ash, who has nearly 20 Pokemon to use at any time. May only has 4 with her at the moment, it makes perfect sense that they're giving her new Pokemon.

May is a major character with a major story arc, she's not going to win every contest with only 2 Pokemon. That's ridiculous, and I really find it baffling that people here still can't accept this.

Why couldn't she have kept the Pokémon she already had? Ash did. But the writers decided she had to leave the bulk of her team and get shiny new ones.

On the other hand, Ash could've easily switched out his Pokémon like before, but they decided to have him keep all his, making all captures go to May. Sure, it's a cool and suiting team he has now - but isn't that exactly what May had in the works before? A cute and suiting team? But they ditched it and have her getting even more super cute and special ones.

And for crying out loud, May is not on par with Ash. Ash has been and always will be the main character of the series, no matter how much attention they slather on lovely little May. He comes first, period. And if Ash is getting no Pokémon, even just for his collection, while May is getting babies left and right, it is not evening the level of the old and new main characters, it is too much attention being given to May.

Pie I have to disagree with you. Getting babies left and right? The only baby she has recieved is a Eevee. Munchlax seemed quite cpable all by itself and there has been no indication that Munchlax is a baby. Squirtle was almost at starter level the only reason it was considered a baby was because of its crybaby personality but, that isnt an excuse either since we have seen a crybaby Mudkip that was at starter level and was about to be picked to be a starter. Also Ash has already caught alot of kanto pokemon may be another reason why he isnt catching anything. Also Ash usually switchs his team up a bit when entering a new region and gets new pokemon no different than May is now because this is all new to her. Where she has lived Kanto pokemon are considered rare. Squirtle is cutesy but, I dont find Combusken and Munchlax to be cute at all or Eevee but, that is for different reasons.

Scott85 said:
^ Because if he had 6 Pokes, Ash would have to decide which one of his current ones to send to Oak.

In Ash's battle for the Rising badge he brought out Snorlax against Clair (along with Charizard) and made NO indication of what changes he made.

Throughout the Silver Conference, he made NO indication of who he changed around to bring in Snorlax, Muk, Charizard, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Tauros etc.

They don't NEED to put in that he traded a specific one in - they just reference that he DID. They've done it before, and by God they'll do it again. It is no reason why Ash wouldn't catch a new Pokemon to fill up the empty slot that the writers OBVIOUSLY left open for a new capture.

Pie said:
Why couldn't she have kept the Pokémon she already had? Ash did. But the writers decided she had to leave the bulk of her team and get shiny new ones.

Eh sure, I don't know why the writers felt the need to break up her team. (Aside from following up with Vineshipping by leaving her Bulba with Ash's Bulba)

The only thing is May only had 2 Pokemon when this saga started. Since she has 5 ribbons to get and a Grand Festival, she's certainly going to need more than 2 measly Pokemon to accomplish this. I mean, can you imagine Ash going to 8 Gyms and then a league with only 2 Pokemon? I sure can't, which is why May needs more Pokemon.

The writers have given her 2 more so she can have a decent team, there's nothing wrong with that.

And for crying out loud, May is not on par with Ash. Ash has been and always will be the main character of the series, no matter how much attention they slather on lovely little May. He comes first, period.

Ash is the main character yes. Does May co-star the series with him? Yes. May is the second most important character in the series, right after Ash. They are the main hero and heroine of the anime, each with their own respective tournaments. The entire show revolves around those two characters, what they do effects the entire anime, that's all I'm saying.

And if Ash is getting no Pokémon, even just for his collection, while May is getting babies left and right, it is not evening the level of the old and new main characters, it is too much attention being given to May.

She's only gotten 2 new Pokemon, no need to throw a fit over it. She gets attention because she co-stars the series with Ash, it's as simple as that. Ash on the other hand has a nice new Donphan and if the rumours are true, possibly a nice new Sceptile in the near future. New evolutions are the same as new captures, they're new Pokemon.

Last edited:
I'm actually really complaining more about how no one but May seems to get new Pokémon very often anymore, rather than how much attention May gets. XD

I really don't see May as co-star level. Important, yes, but really, there's a reason the intro is Ash Ash Ash Ash Ash and then briefly showing the other characters. There's a reason (unfortunately) they feel the need to give May character-centric episodes, which are normally reserved for lesser characters. She is a lesser character. She's not much of a lesser character, but the fact is that this is Ash's show, and May will not be able to claim that level of importance until they create a spinoff series called May's Pretty Pokémon Adventures or whatever.

And no, I don't rank evolutions quite the same as captures - they are still very good, but let's face it, it's the same Pokémon on the inside and their Pokémon count doesn't increase, just their Pokédex number. And may I remind you that Ash's collection is actually pretty darn small? Gary's still beating him by a ridiculous amount, and Gary's not even doing the catch and train thing anymore. Would it hurt that much to see Ash just add a few to his collection?

And let's not forget Brock, who thankfully has caught a new (and excellent) Pokémon - after over a hundred episodes of going without a capture. Rather extreme, don't you think?

What's wrong with having them catch more, really? Heck, I wouldn't even mind how many May gets right now if not for the fact that Ash hasn't given a thought to adding to his collection. I know he's trying to focus on the Battle Frontier, but...

Pie said:
I'm actually really complaining more about how no one but May seems to get new Pokémon very often anymore, rather than how much attention May gets. XD
Something you were complaining about only yesterday, Scott.

A prediction

Or rather an opinion. If May does get an Eevee (and I don't think that this is certain yet) and if it evolves, I think that it will evolve into a Jolteon. This is simply because the only type that she hasn't currently got a Pokémon from is the electric-type. It will also allow the scriptwriters (in an act of creative laziness not matched since the last cookie-cutter filler) to start doing 'double blast-offs' where J, J and M get hit by two thunderbolts instead of one. Hey, they will think it's funny :rolleyes:

I'd find another Electric Pokemon a difficult concept to imagine. I mean, on one end you have the Godly Pikachu that can destroy the planet at will with one Thunder attack and on the other, you'd have a relatively inexperienced (and perpetually weaker) electric Pokemon (Jolteon as an example) that, whilst it SHOULD be more powerful than Pikachu simply based on raw power from the games, will still look pathetically weak.

The other end would be that Jolteon would actually end up looking stronger than it's level should indicate simply off the back of Pikachu.

I'd find it hard to get a middle ground in that.

Also, it would steal some of The Rat's limelight in some form. And considering that if Ash is the human star and Pikachu is the Pokemon star of the entire series, it'd be like May winning the Grand Festival while Ash got his behind handed to him at the Hoenn League.

May probably won't get a Jolteon, because the writers will never allow another electric type to steal the precious spotlight from Pikachu.

This is why in over 400+ episodes of the show, no main character in the group has ever had an electric Pokemon. But I suppose they could kind of break the mold with May, since she's the only character who is nearly as important as Ash is.

But nah, I'll stick with Espeon. It suits her much more.

Pikachu is still the most important Pokémon regardless of how important May is.

But yeah... Espeon is most likely if it does evolve.

Doubling types on her team aside, I think Vaporeon or Flareon would also be quite suiting for May, and either would be more original than Espeon...

Actually, it not evolving would generally be the more original route. And more likely I'd say.

if Eevee evolved, that would be the stupedest thing ever
I don't like the idea of May's Eevee evolving. Into ANYTHING.
I didn't like it when Torchic evolved into Combusken, although I loved the fact it came out, so it evened out.
but Eevee evolving...
psshh

so did anyone see the episode?

I don't get why anyone wouldn't want Eevee to evolve, because, quite frankly, its a very boring pokémon that doesn't really learn any worthwhile attacks bar Shadow Ball and Dig. I'd rather have it evolve so that it could at least be of some interest when it takes part in a battle.

Pie said:
Doubling types on her team aside, I think Vaporeon or Flareon would also be quite suiting for May, and either would be more original than Espeon...
I disagree, because both of them would most likely just become like most other pokémon of their type. In other words, just throwing out Flamethowers and Water Guns at the opponent.
Espeon on the other hand has more going for it, purely due to the fact that it has moves that the characters have rarely dealt with.

And to think, Eevee would have been a wonderful addition to May's team in the past. Now it just causes confusion and curiosity. Did they really have to set her up with a Squirtle if they were going to hand over this Eevee all along? Will May ever get a Pokemon along the likes of Beautifly again?

If evolution does occur, whenever that may be, I'd like to see Umbreon. Espeon's been done enough where as Umbreon got short changed as one of Gary's Pokemon. Of course, either evolution showing up makes for an impressive feat type-wise, so what's not to like.

I tell you though, Eevee has got me worried. Any outcome is going to be lackluster thanks to May's (and really every one of the gang's) setup.

Keep it as Eevee - Another plain Normal to join the ranks of Munchlax (and Skitty back at Oak's); Method was used by a Sakura and a little by Gary
Evolve to Flareon - May already has a Fire Pokemon, Combusken, introducing redundancy
Evolve to Vaporeon - May already has a Water Pokemon, Squirtle, introducing redundancy
Evolve to Jolteon - Type conflict with Ash's Pikachu; Conflict on a much greater scale with the anime's mascot/money-maker
Evolve to Espeon - Sakura currently owns one and is seen as her signature Pokemon
Evolve to Umbreon - Gary currently owns one
Evolve to new D/P Evo - May gets another 4th Gen. Pokemon and affirms her usage as an advertising character

Not exactly a fun guessing game.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom