• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG158: Fierce Fighting at the Battle Tube! VS Tube Queen Azami!!

How can anyone say Max doesn't have potential? The kid didn't even START for goodness sakes!

His role in Hoenn and Kanto was to learn from both Ash and his older sister May about Pokemon. Max is learning a hell of a lot while watching Ash and May in their respective competitions, and for the D/P region it would be nice for him to start his goal.

Seriously, the options for Max are endless. Trainer, Coordinator, Ranger, Breeder, they can do pretty much anything with the kid.

At least wait until Max gets his first Pokemon before judging whether he has potential or not. Although I do agree that if the D/P saga has a cast change, the most likely character to leave at this point would probably be Brock.

Kasumi-san said:
Yes it has. Having a baby Pokémon to take care of is at least slightly related to his dream of becoming a Pokémon breeder.

Max has zero potential as long as he tags along with Ash because he's never going to be an important character.
'Slightly related' being the keyword here. I'd hardly consider cradling a baby and bottle feeding it as any sort of postive character development. If anything, its just another gimmick.

I don't see how hanging around with Ash gives Max zero potential either. Its not preventing him from becoming something like a Ranger or whatever. Thats just like saying May couldn't have become a coordinator just because she hangs around with another trainer.

Not getting into the Brock leaving discussion, because my emotions make my mind too tangled to discuss that for very long. *cough* Suffice it to say that if he leaves, I want it to have nothing to do with romance unless they spend a notable period of time setting it up and making it work.

Anyway, I think the pair is cute, but I think I'd prefer to see it left as-is. Wilhemina done right, almost. Because Lucy's side of the attraction, unfortunately, seems to have been based mostly on her squinty eye fetish - note the eyes of all the Pokémon she has at home! - and therefore very easy for the writers to overthrow if they wish. And they tend to wish it quite often - Suzie took back Vulpix and went off with Zane, Ivy smashed Brock's tender heart into tiny little pieces in ways that we may never know. And while this actually has the added factor of the attraction being mutual, I point again to the nature of it - all they have to do is have Lucy find another guy with squinty eyes in Brock's absence (and they do exist) and bam, Brock's out in the cold. Since the two directions they tend to take for Brock's relationships are heartbreak and forgeting it ever happened, I'd rather they forget. Leave it as an opportunity for him after the series, which there'd doubtlessly be tons of fanfiction exploiting if they left it that way...

Just another reason why I want to see a relationship with a lot of planning, thought, and buildup put into it for Brock - it'd get rid of that feeling of inevitable doom.

The thing is: Max is NOT the series main character. They're not going to have him become a Pokémon trainer who tags along with Ash because that would be pretty stupid. There was a reason they gave May the contests, you know? It would have been lame to see her compete in the Gyms like Ash.

If Max becomes a ranger it wouldn't be possible for him to continue with Ash, he would have to settle down in some region, like Hinata does near the cycling road. They're not going to make him a breeder because that's Brock's role. He's not going to be a coordinator either because it's May's dream. In short, he's best as a trainer or even a Pokémon researcher. His potential in my opinion, is staying with Birch.

My point still stands, Max is the one who should leave the group because he's not going to do anything at all with them.

Birch likes to do his research in the field. Max can do that. Though he is most likely to do whatever new feature D/P brings up.

Kasumi-san said:
The thing is: Max is NOT the series main character. They're not going to have him become a Pokémon trainer who tags along with Ash because that would be pretty stupid. There was a reason they gave May the contests, you know? It would have been lame to see her compete in the Gyms like Ash.

I know that, and I doubt they're going to let a third character take the spotlight away from Ash and May. But Max could have something off to the side, since he's not a major character like Ash and May are, but he can still have a decent role on his own.

If Max becomes a ranger it wouldn't be possible for him to continue with Ash, he would have to settle down in some region, like Hinata does near the cycling road.

I could see him using those Ranger wand thingies in certain episodes when we see new Pokemon. The writers change a lot from the games, Max could travel and still be a Ranger.

In short, he's best as a trainer or even a Pokémon researcher. His potential in my opinion, is staying with Birch.

Well Max himself said that he wanted to become a Gym leader like his father when he grew up way back in early Hoenn. Max idolizes his father, so it is assumed that Max will want to follow in his footsteps. Being a researcher has nothing to do with Norman and Max's idolization of him.

My point still stands, Max is the one who should leave the group because he's not going to do anything at all with them.

Brock isn't much better you know, he's as much a backround character in AG as Max is. Brock just gets the honor of keeping their stomachs full, reciting Ash's battle strategies to May and Max, flirting with girls, and sticking a bottle into a tree. That's it. Otherwise Brock is in the backround just as much as Max is. Either one of these two could go, or perhaps both of them.

They seem to be slowly building up Max's character. Anyone notice how much he usually is taking care of Munchlax. I have a very strong feeling May will give Munchlax to Max. (I'm a Munchmax Shipper, btw)

And, don't forget the "Pidgey"

Whoa,bishoujo overload.@_@ This episode was really easy on the eyes.Even though Lucy was by far the hottest one (she might even knock down Trixie to No.2),I thought the white haired girl was cute too.

And as Zhen Lin mentioned,the end of the episode did seem like a potential setup for something else,and it may very well be Brock's ticket out of the series.Even when Ash and Co. said their goodbyes and went on their way,for some reason the ep goes back to Lucy returning to her cabin.And what's waiting for her inside? A bunch of Pokemon she seems to be raising on her own as well as handful of baby Pokemon.This was VERY Pokemon Breeder-ish IMO.It's sort of difficult *not* to make some sort of connection between Brock and Lucy in that last scene.Brock currently has a baby Pokemon of his own too.(a spoiled rotten one that is.....)

Also,I think you can't really compare Lucy and Wilhemina.I haven't seen that Johto episode in ages,but Brock and Wilhemina only shared a moment in that ep if I remember correctly.The smoking gun for Lucy is her multiple blushes over Brock.C'mon,the writers are REALLY pushing it here.

If Brock does leave,hopefully we get the Ash/May/Misty party I've been wishing for.I'm pretty much neutral on Max,so it wouldn't really matter if he stays or leaves.

Zhen Lin said:
A semi-plausible reason for why the full tube set-up wasn't used would be that the Tube was supposed to be on holiday on that day, but I need to confirm. (The implication being that all the hazards and the maids wouldn't be around.)

Geez,that would be a serious cop-out.This was the perfect opportunity to test Ash's luck.And we all know how big Ash is in the luck department. =/

They won't have more girls than boys. As far as I can tell, they are aknowledging the female fans but it is still for the most part a shounen series.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing more than one girl on the team.

FYI all, I'll be translating this episode over the next week, so hopefully, you might actually see a fansubbed copy of this episode released before the end of the month.

I have to say, this ship really does throw a huge spanner in the works. This could very well be a setup for Takeshi taking a break from the main group for a while again. We'll have to see how that develops. Would it be at all likely that there would be an excuse for her to reappear in other upcoming episodes, without that attraction for Brock?

As far as the "squinty eyed fetish" thing that was mentioned earlier....just how many other characters in the show thusfar have had that? ^^;;

Sounds awesome, Arcy.

You know, I must be the only person alive to not like Brock x Lucy. People are saying how it's 'cute', but is it really? Seems to be based on Lucy's rather interesting squinty eye fetish more than any interest in Brock as a person. That's not 'cute' at all. Kinky, maybe. As for Brock's attraction, he hits on pretty much every single girl he sees. (Apart from Jessie when she's in disguise, and Roxanne for some crazed reason.)

Maybe I'm just bitter because of Lucy's fanbase.

As for this leading up to Brock leaving, I'd say it's very possible. He's nowhere to be seen on the cast list when the episode summeries are released. (Yet Max, Pikachu and Meowth are.)

Lol, how insulting that Brock isn't listed as part of the cast when they have Pokemon like Pikachu and Meowth there.

OUCH!

Alfonso said:
You know, I must be the only person alive to not like Brock x Lucy.
Not anymore.
I was expecting Lucy to be a bit cold-hearted to him (more like her game counterpart).

Oh, well. At least the battle was more decent than the other Frontier battles and the better music was used.

I was kinda surprised that the third opening was used. But then again, it could be just me.

This battle was more decent than the others? Eh? Greta and Tucker's battle blow this one out of the water.

So a rushed battle of Donphan beating Seviper and a rehash of the Adan match of Pikachu Vs. Milotic is "better?" The battle of this episode was rushed, the redeeming quality of it was the Lucy/Brock angle.

Scott85 said:
This battle was more decent than the others? Eh? Greta and Tucker's battle blow this one out of the water.

So a rushed battle of Donphan beating Seviper and a rehash of the Adan match of Pikachu Vs. Milotic is "better?" The battle of this episode was rushed, the redeeming quality of it was the Lucy/Brock angle.
It just seemed that way to me.

Maybe I was expecting the worst a bit too much since I was (more or less) recently enlightened on the god-modding Ash was getting.

Kasumi-san said:
I completely agree with Scott. The only thing that saved this episode was Brock and Lucy's interaction.

How is Brock randomly coming onto and shouting out things to Lucy, and Lucy doing nothing but blush throughout the whole episode, 'interaction'?

Remember, it wasn't Brock she liked. It was his eyes.

Alfonso said:
How is Brock randomly coming onto and shouting out things to Lucy, and Lucy doing nothing but blush throughout the whole episode, 'interaction'?

Remember, it wasn't Brock she liked. It was his eyes.
It was different I suppose is why so many people liked it. And really, as wacky as Brock is I can actually see him getting a real relationship in such an odd, random way. Overall I think Lucy/Brock is a great idea simply because its wacky/kinky/twisted wierd (just like Brock is).

It makes me hope they never put Brock with anyone else so fans can always imagine him coming back to Lucy one day (I honestly doubt they'll give Brock any closure with anyone but at least Lucy could then remain a viable option). He did actually seem to still be infatuated with her even when they were on the boat leaving. I mean Brock fans have had few viable choices ever since Suzie hooked up with that Ninetales trainer, and now low and behold comes Lucy with her slit-eyed fetish. She's even fairly local. Sure its crazy but when compared to Brock's other attempts at relationships it could actually work.:loopy:

*imagines Lucy years from now sneaking into Brock's home and kidnapping him to do who knows what*:expect:

<><><>

Anyway, I'd say that the Donphan vs. Seviper battle was the better of the two simply because it was more unique and seemed pretty fast-paced. And Donphan's Rollout-O-Flame was awesome.

Still, I loved the way they had Milotic use Facade and the way it got beaten by Pikachu (much better than the odd eighth gym battle where Pikachu somehow forces Milotic underwater, when I see the episode maybe it will make more sense). Incidentally, Milotic's ability raises its defense if it has a status condition (as it did when Pikachu apparently paralyzes it) while Facade is twice as strong if the Pokemon has a status condition, so Lucy basically can make a poisoned, burned or paralyzed Milotic even stronger than before.

Though Milotic again suffers from having most of its body hidden for most of the battle. It needs some well animated scenes of it on land like Gyarados got in the first movie.

To be honest...I'm not entirely sure that Lucy's thing with brock was just the eyes. How does him shouting something from the other side of the stadium, where she can't even see his face, bring the eyes into it? She seemed to actually enjoy the things he was saying, with the eyes being the sweetener.

Yeah, I think it is possible to have a squinty eye feish and love the person with the squinty eyes. Obviously, there still needs to be evidence of that, but I think we have it.

Purey because of her location, would Johto Gym Leader Clair be worse off than Lucy? For all the localisation of being in the same region means, Lucy is at the opposite end of Kanto while Clair is just on the other side of a mountain range. (I'm not suggesting that Clair has more chance, but I fail to see how Lucy is that close in practice.)

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom