• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG160: Gonbe's Debut Battle! Harley and Taking the Game Seriously!!

Alfonso

Valuan Admiral
Reaction score
So... next week, we'll have another Harley episode on our hands.

From what I've been hearing here and there about the preview details up on PokeAni, (Reported by taitofan in SPPf's Harley Fanclub.) it seems Octillery appears in the preview. However, before everyone starts thinking that it'll belong to Harley, Ariados and Banette have also been reported to appear in the preview.

Now, we know that each trainer will only be using one Pokemon for the battle, since the summery only mentions Gonbe as May's Pokemon. That accounts for one of Harley's Pokemon. He'll also need a Pokemon for the appeal, so that accounts for two. So unless they put one of Harley's Pokemon in the preview when it's not actually going to be doing anything, I doubt he's actually going to be getting Octillery.

Not to mention, Oct doesn't really suit Harley.

Thoughts?

Alfonso said:
So... next week, we'll have another Harley episode on our hands.

From what I've been hearing here and there about the preview details up on PokeAni, (Reported by taitofan in SPPf's Harley Fanclub.) it seems Octillery appears in the preview. However, before everyone starts thinking that it'll belong to Harley, Ariados and Banette have also been reported to appear in the preview.

Now, we know that each trainer will only be using one Pokemon for the battle, since the summery only mentions Gonbe as May's Pokemon. That accounts for one of Harley's Pokemon. He'll also need a Pokemon for the appeal, so that accounts for two. So unless they put one of Harley's Pokemon in the preview when it's not actually going to be doing anything, I doubt he's actually going to be getting Octillery.

Not to mention, Oct doesn't really suit Harley.

Thoughts?
i think despite what every one says that may's gonna win i mean they never give a villan a win look at team rocket

Maybe. I believe the summery of the contest after this contest hints towards May losing this Contest.

...I hope to god May doesn't beat Harley but loses to whoever has the Octillery. x_x; (If they don't do something STUPID like give Octillery to Harley. :|)

Alfonso said:
Maybe. I believe the summery of the contest after this contest hints towards May losing this Contest.

...I hope to god May doesn't beat Harley but loses to whoever has the Octillery. x_x; (If they don't do something STUPID like give Octillery to Harley. :|)
no if they were to give harley a squid like pokemon it would be a tentacool

May could use her new Eevee for the appeals, although it's more likely that she'll use Squirtle/Combusken for that.

I want the battle to be Munchlax Vs. Bannette. That will be fun.

She was saying something about contests to Eeve at the start of the Pike episode IIRC, though it is probably not yet ready to get her through the appeals.

infinate crisis said:
i think despite what every one says that may's gonna win i mean they never give a villan a win look at team rocket
Unlike Team Rocket, Harley isn't a villain. Just an atypical rival. Besides, May can't win if she is trying for the ribbon again two episodes later.

And we've already had Skitty Vs Dusclops, Scott.

Villain?

infinite crisis said:
Yeah, but is Harley a villain? I don't remember seeing any hint of that. If anything, he is an 'elder challenger' like Eusine in the Johto League.

The 'rival' characters sometimes scrape a surprise win (or a draw, if they want to be original) when the scriptwriters want to intensify the rivalry or add extra character motivation. Good examples of this are Gary winning at Oak's lab before Ash left for Johto and the tied match Ash had in the group stage of the Johto League.

BenRG said:
Yeah, but is Harley a villain? I don't remember seeing any hint of that. If anything, he is an 'elder challenger' like Eusine in the Johto League.

Funny, I don't recall Eusine being in the Johto League. :p I guess he must have appeared in the background, trying to protect the Ho-Oh flame? ^_~

FabuVinny said:
And we've already had Skitty Vs Dusclops, Scott.

So, Munchlax Vs. Bannette will be much different.

I don't want Ariados in the battling part again, since it was just in the last one. Cacturne also has had much more screentime than the others.

Bannette is the most logical choice, especially since Ghost Pokemon have an advantage over normal types like Munchlax.

BenRG said:
The 'rival' characters sometimes scrape a surprise win (or a draw, if they want to be original) when the scriptwriters want to intensify the rivalry or add extra character motivation. Good examples of this are Gary winning at Oak's lab before Ash left for Johto and the tied match Ash had in the group stage of the Johto League.

The rival characters usually win, with the exception of Harley. Gary beat Ash the first time they battled, and Drew defeated May 3 times already. If Drew can beat May in 3 different battles then there's no reason Harley can't.

It'd be nice if they gave Harley a 4th Gen Pokemon to pit against Munchlax.

Might we be seeing Manyula vs Munchlax?

No.

No it really wouldn't.

Harley likes creepy/morbid Pokemon. Cacturne is both, and Banette and Ariados are creepy. Manyula just isn't, and seems a little... n00bish for Harley to have.

FabuVinny said:
Unlike Team Rocket, Harley isn't a villain. Just an atypical rival.
BenRG said:
........Zuhwha? Of course Harley's a villain. Just because he doesn't break the law like Team Rocket doesn't make him one of the good guys. Hell, at least JJ&M have a scrap of altruism in them, which is more than can be said for Harley. The writers have very clearly marked him out as a morally 'dark' character.

Despite that, I still think he'll beat May, although there's a chance he might lose to someone else right afterwards.

Jo-Jo said:
Despite that, I still think he'll beat May, although there's a chance he might lose to someone else right afterwards.

Meh. I'm not too concerned if he loses his Contest. I'm sure he'll get all 5 ribbons for the Festival either way... I just want him to beat May. That would just be... awesome.

Alfonso said:
Meh. I'm not too concerned if he loses his Contest. I'm sure he'll get all 5 ribbons for the Festival either way... I just want him to beat May. That would just be... awesome.
i would rather have team rocket win if any villain did

Unlike Harley, Team Rocket actually are the bad guys. As much as a win would would be good, the writers think that they have to lose every time. And Jessie lost any chance at winning any contests a long time ago...

FabuVinny said:
Unlike Harley, Team Rocket actually are the bad guys. As much as a win would would be good, the writers think that they have to lose every time. And Jessie lost any chance at winning any contests a long time ago...
i meant still a pokemon but not pikachu

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom