• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG160: Gonbe's Debut Battle! Harley and Taking the Game Seriously!!

Although I agree that, for the sake of realistic writing, May should lose at least one contest in the region, I'm not sure that I'd want it to be this one. For one thing, gonbe rocks and I don't want to see it lose in it;s first contest battle. But the other thing is I'm not sure I like the direction Harley winning could take his character. Ever since he arrived he's been obsessed with getting revenge on May; he's cheated and tried to humiliate, trick, and manipulate her, and acted like an arrogant bastard. If he does finally beat her it will be like he's achieved his goal of revenge, and his ego will only get bigger and he'll probably act even worse towards May in any later contests they enter. Even though he's not a real villian like Team Rocket, he's still a "morally dark" character compared to our heros, He plays dirty, and it really doesn't seem like the show's style to let someone like him win. The only way I can picture him winning is if either A) He and May become friends and he's no longer obsessed with beating her at all costs, or B) May severely under-estimates him due to her already having beaten him several times. Judging from the title of this episode it sounds like option B could be a possibility, but even then I think I'd still feel as if it came too late. I think the best time, for May to have lost to Harley would have been the Saffron Contest; She was fresh off the Hoenn Grand Festival, and had beat Harley twice, and she was using a brand new Pokemon. That would have been the perfect time for an over-confidence loss.

I think Harley winning now makes much more sense than back at Saffron. Remember, the Grand Festival was a "contest" too. May just came from a loss, and if she lost at Saffron, she'd have two losses in a row. The Saffron Contest was meant to be the "fresh start" and the writers wanted to give May a positive outlook on her fresh Kanto challenge.

May is probably overly confident about beating Harley now, and who can blame her? She's beaten the guy 3 times already, so she probably thinks she can do it again. It would be great character development and quite a shock on her part to see her underestimate him only to end up losing her chance at a ribbon in the process. This is a similar set-up to May's loss at the Rubello contest in Hoenn. May was overconfident in that episode, she acted like a brat and thought she was going to win. She even yelled at Ash and told him off for pretty much no reason despite the fact that he was only trying to help her. (It was nice on Ash's part to stay calm and not get angry with her, and then after she lost he went himself to comfort her). If May gets overconfident here, a loss would be what she needs to have her brought back down to reality.

As for Harley, I'm assuming that if he wins this contest we won't see him again until the Grand Festival. After all he IS a "villain", and to see him claim a victory over May has major story potential. May will then be more determined to beat him next time, and avenge her loss against her nemesis at the next Grand Festival.

And really, what's the worse Harley could do if he wins? He'll just boast about his win in her face, make some snide remark, and at the worse make May burst into tears and run off crying. (And if the latter happens, I hope we get another one of those Ash comforting scenes! :D )

Not to mention if May wins, the outcome of this contest will be a rehash of the Saffron one. What's the point of continually bringing Harley back if he's only going to be May's punching bag? The guy needs to win as well, and it would be great to see him take her down for once.

May is a very determined girl, she has her eyes set on becoming a Top Coordinator and will continue to work toward her goal regardless. If she loses here, it could make for some great character development and plot potential. I'll be cheering May on to win in future contests, just not this one.

Harley could lose to another coordinator who then beats May. That way everyone's happy, right?

You don't know that. Though I can't wait to see how he does act after his victory!

Happy, happy, joy, joy.

It's about time and Octillery, the Pokemon mascot of the Red Wings, put that fat slob in its place, under its tentacles. Go Octillery.

I'm so relieved Harley won. It would have gotten ridiculous if she'd beaten him again. I feel a little bad for Munchlax, though... unlike Squirtle, it did at least put in some training prior to this contest. But eh, never mind. It'll probably get its redemption in another contest soon enough.

BTW, is it true May gets a rose in a letter from Drew? I heard from taitofan on SPPF that she did. How sweet! I bet that cheered her right up. ;)

Horray! Happy me!^^ Harley finally won a match! I must see this episode!
May is fine but she shouldn't win every contest. It wouldn't be fair. I hate when Harley's evolved pokemon lose against her babies. May has got a kick and now she knows that her road isn't easy. She must work if she wanna win next contests. Younger fans of anime should learn that good guys sometimes lose too.

Last edited:
Well May is going to redeem herself very quickly, as she'll probably win the contest only two episodes from now. :p

As I said in some other threads, I bet Harley won't show up again until the Grand Festival. No way are the writers going to spoil his win in just a regular contest. I'll look foward to see how May reacts to Harley at the next GF. :D

Chosen of Mana said:
Well, Harley finally won a match against May. Now will you all stop bitching about May's Pokémon >:O
I think the only problem is with uber Squirtle and the Saffron Contest. Now let's just hope Munchlax can make up for this in the future.

Don't forget about Skitty^^ It won against Houndoom, Jynx and Dusclops. I wonder what will happen if I use Skitty against Houndoom or Dusclops in the game.

^ Skitty beating Houndoom and Jynx was believeable however. It barely won both matches.

Considering Munchlax will still be on her team in the D/P region because that's the gen it's supossed to be for, I'd rather her use her new Eevee or Combusken again in the next contest.

Munchlax will be here for a whole 'nother region, Eevee may not be. Hopefully that thing gets decent screentime before May ditches it at her house.

We don't know what is planned for D/P yet. If May is in it, Combusken looks doubtful since Sceptile will probably be staying at Oak's lab. Eevee will go if it gets a new evolution. It might be decided to leave Munchlax in Petalburg and let other Pokémon do the hype. There may not even be contests in the D/P region, which will affect what May does. (I'm suspectng that Diamond and Pearl will do the same as Emerald and have all the halls in one place.) Until we know what the games ar like and what is going on in the writers' heads, we can't make assumptions like that.

FabuVinny said:
We don't know what is planned for D/P yet. If May is in it, Combusken looks doubtful since Sceptile will probably be staying at Oak's lab. Eevee will go if it gets a new evolution. It might be decided to leave Munchlax in Petalburg and let other Pokémon do the hype. There may not even be contests in the D/P region, which will affect what May does. (I'm suspectng that Diamond and Pearl will do the same as Emerald and have all the halls in one place.) Until we know what the games ar like and what is going on in the writers' heads, we can't make assumptions like that.
I think its kinda obvious May is going to be in the D/P saga. She probally isnt going to leave the group. Also Combusken is going to be with May its her starter. Although then again Brock gave away his onix but, she is the co star of AG.

But the next region isn't in AG, is it?

The thing with Combusken is that it is an R/S starter, while its grass equivalent will be staying at Oak's lab. As you said, Brock left Onix at home.

FabuVinny said:
But the next region isn't in AG, is it?

The thing with Combusken is that it is an R/S starter, while its grass equivalent will be staying at Oak's lab. As you said, Brock left Onix at home.
well we dont know whether it will be apart of AG or not. Johto, Orange island, and Kanto were all part of the pokemon series. Then AG came and it is so far Hoenn,BF and is still continueing. Also Brock was a different case. No one knew who his starter was when he gave his pokemon to jiroo. It sounded like the writers kinda made that up to fill the plot of the episode.

AG is "Advanced Generation". We're about to head over to the DS.

But if we can't make assumptions about that, then we certainly can't make assumptions about who will be in it. :p

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom