• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG160: Gonbe's Debut Battle! Harley and Taking the Game Seriously!!

Time to reply to FabuVinny again. :p

FabuVinny said:
We don't know what is planned for D/P yet. If May is in it, Combusken looks doubtful since Sceptile will probably be staying at Oak's lab.

Combusken is her starter Pokemon, its not going anywhere. That'd be like Ash going to a region without Pikachu. May would never leave her very first Pokemon, the writers just wouldn't do something like that.

It might be decided to leave Munchlax in Petalburg and let other Pokémon do the hype.

I remember the writers or Gamefreak or whoever said back when Munchlax was first revealed that they wanted him to become as popular as Pikachu. It's one of the reasons why May got Munchlax as oppossed to Brock, because they want a leading character to own the new mascot (like Ash owns Pikachu).

Likewise Munchlax not being in the region it was intended for is mind boggling. :p

There may not even be contests in the D/P region, which will affect what May does. (I'm suspectng that Diamond and Pearl will do the same as Emerald and have all the halls in one place.) Until we know what the games ar like and what is going on in the writers' heads, we can't make assumptions like that.

In which case, the writers will spread the Contests all throughout the region. Much like they spread the Brains all throughout Kanto instead of leaving them in one place. Much like Kanto has Contests despite the fact that FR/LG doesn't.

FabuVinny said:
But the next region isn't in AG, is it?

Does that really matter? Ash was a main character of both Pocket Monsters and AG. Just because AG is ending doesn't mean May can't be the main character of whatever the DS series is called.

The thing with Combusken is that it is an R/S starter, while its grass equivalent will be staying at Oak's lab. As you said, Brock left Onix at home.

May isn't Brock. She has Contests and a league to enter, Brock on the other hand doesn't compete in anything. And it doesn't really matter if Ash leaves Sceptile at Oaks, since with May her Combusken is far more important to her. As I said, it would be like Ash without Pikachu.

I honestly think its time to give these "May is leaving" conspiracy theories a rest. May is the second most important character of the series and has had a starring role in AG. She has Munchlax which is meant to be the mascot of the D/P region. In any case, Brock and Max are in far more danger of leaving than May is for the simple fact that the writers do nothing with them anymore. They can get rid of the sidekicks, they're not going to get rid of a starring character.

Give this May stuff a rest people. It's very annoying to enter every episode thread that's about May and have these same baseless comments made over and over again.

What do you have to base on the fact that May will stay? The writers won't want to have contests if D/P has another new feature spread around the region. They will have new things to hype. So we don't know what fate awaits any of the characters who are not Ash or Team Rocket.

And what evidence is there that May will be dropped simply because there are no Contests? Ash is doing something other than Gyms for once and May can do something that's similar to coordinating.

On the other hand, why wouldn't there be Contests in the new games? When has GameFreak ever gotten rid of a major feature from the previous gen? If Contests happen to be all in one place again like Emerald did, it's likely that the writers will ignore that and spread them throughout the region.

If I were you, I'd be wondering about Max and Brock in the next region. I'm not worried about May at all because common sense dictates otherwise. She's a major character, Max and Brock aren't.

The Battle Frontier is practically the same as the usual Gym Quest. Besides, while Game Freak probably won't get rid of contests, but having them in one place again is very likely. The point is that the writers will be going for a new feature for this region.

I'm not worrying about May. I'm being realistic.

I am too, and thinking the writers will get rid of a starring character with her own story arc, her own rivals, and her own goal isn't likely. It reminds me of all the people who honestly believe that Ash will be replaced every region. Especially since she owns the mascot of the D/P region (Munchlax) and the fact that Contests are likely to be in it in one form or another anyway.

If they need to promote the Ranger stuff or other nonsense from the new games, they can either have Ash or Hinata (or even Max!) doing that stuff. Contests aren't going to be "forgotten" just because there's a new gimmick.

I just find the arguments against May to be amusing at best. Probably has to do with the Misty bias on this forum, but I tend to ignore that. ;)

Anyway let's move on back to the episode discussion. The May arguments always give me a chuckle but its time to get back to business.

I STILL want to find out what Harley did when he beat May. Please tell me he rubbed his win in her face. I hope he doesn't just walk away or anything, especially since it took him 3 times to beat her. :/

No one even mentioned Misty...

Well, the look on Harley's face when he first wins is priceless! He doesn't seem to stick around but is hiding behind a tree for some odd reason. They chat with Lilian who gives May the letter from Drew. I'm wondering what it says but I bet the next contest is mentioned.

And it looks like May can take this loss without Ash. So she won't be needing Mr. Mentor for much longer. :p

Thing is, Harley *could* get overconfident. But I wouldn't expect him to go to such measures. =/

FabuVinny said:
No one even mentioned Misty...

Well, the look on Harley's face when he first wins is priceless! He doesn't seem to stick around but is hiding behind a tree for some odd reason. They chat with Lilian who gives May the letter from Drew. I'm wondering what it says but I bet the next contest is mentioned.

And it looks like May can take this loss without Ash. So she won't be needing Mr. Mentor for much longer. :p
Well it seems a little obvious drew sent her a letter about the upcoming contest. Since there was a ribbon mark and a dot where it was located that came with a rose. Anyway here's my opinion about the episode

"This episode was pretty good although TR was extremely pointless and rather annoying after their first scene.

At the beggining May and Harley trash talked also I think Harley though her Eevee was cute unless I misunderstood the pic. There was some funny TR/Harley interaction at the beggining. Squirtle did a cool looking appeal. Harley did as well but, when he was done wobbufet came crashing from the middle of nowhere. Then there was a juggling machamp. There was two pointless scenes of watching TR get blasted off by Pikachu. Which couldve been extra time spent in Munchlax battling Politoed or Octillery vs. his opponent. I thought Munchlax was excellent the commander was getting a little overconfident during Harley's battle. Actually everytime they talked it seemed May was being too overconfident. Im glad the writers finally used the fact that solarbeam takes a tiny bit to charge to the opponent's advantage. Since Octillery got an attack through to stop Munchlax from executing the attack. They also brought up that she shouldnt of used metronome so much. although a cool looking will o wisp came from metronome. In the end Harley didnt rub it in but, he did the oh so cliche behind the wall thing. I actually felt sorry for Munchlax being upset because it lost. Then May recieved a letter about another contest and with the letter/map came a rose so we know it was Drew who sent the letter. Anyway there was quite a few worthy avatars of Harley and possibly one for Munchlax."

Anyone notice that during the Munchlax Vs. Octillery fight that Ash yelled something out toward May?

This sounds very similar to the very first Harley contest, where May froze on the battlefield and Ash yelled some advice out to her and she was able to win.

Since I can't understand Japanese I don't know exactly what Ash said, but it looked like he was screaming something toward her in this episode too. Even though I like it when May uses her own skills and strategy throughout her Contests, its amazing the amount of times that Ash has to come to her aid by telling her to do something. Guess the writers still feel like making May look like a rookie at times.

Scott85 said:
Since I can't understand Japanese I don't know exactly what Ash said, but it looked like he was screaming something toward her in this episode too. Even though I like it when May uses her own skills and strategy throughout her Contests, its amazing the amount of times that Ash has to come to her aid by telling her to do something. Guess the writers still feel like making May look like a rookie at times.
Now now, don't jump to KHAN-clusions.

My guess? Ash pointed out that Octillery was vulnerable in its sleepy state and yelled at May to take advantage of it. I'm not seeing it as incompetance on May's part - Ash had a similar fate occur on Snorlax back when he faced Greta. Since he had the experience before, he had to be the one to point out the tactic.

And this happens ALL THE TIME. Did you notice that Max seemed surprised about what was going on... even though he was a witness at the Battle Arena as well? Ash has his moments of dumbfoundedness, too. And it can't be argued that Ash and May DON'T have spontaneous tactical insights in their battles. That happens more than often.

So, if anything, blame it on the writers, who, it's a safe bet to say, are doing said writing for the viewers.

Just wondering...is this board as ridiculously biased against May's Squirtle as SPP is?

May's Squirtle is Sharked.

Seriously in it's very first battle it bubbled the hell out of an Onix. It's just not right.

Max as a Pokemon Ranger would be hilarious. Eternally without a Pokemon of his own. XD

Actually, we know now that the player will be partnered with either Plusle or Minun, so...

Geodude said:
Just wondering...is this board as ridiculously biased against May's Squirtle as SPP is?

Squirtle is the devil's incarnate.

Seriously, if that thing masters Hydropump, it could blow up Pallet!
-------------------

What was up with Octillery and Ariados' voices!

Octillery sounds like a adult man, while Ariados sounds like a screaming maniac. I miss the "Tank Tank!" and "Ariiiii!"

Squirtle really isn't any more "powerful" or "00ber" than any of the other Pokemon in the group. Those that are biased against it have yet to give a good, solid, logical reason. So what if Ash also had one? He doesn't have easy access to it anymore, and nobody complained nearly this much when May got Bulbasaur. Squirtle is a popular Pokemon, so another one appeared in the main group. Logical, but BIG FREAKIN' DEAL. It started off as a crybaby, so what? It was YOUNG, it happens. But time has passed, it's seen things, discovered something it loves to do (perform), and it's gotten better. Get over yourselves, people.

I think the main objection against Squirtle is that it was a starter Pokemon - in game terms, around level 5/6 - yet managed to learn Ice Beam with very little training (or already knew it from birth). It then went on to win the first contest it ever entered, against Harley, who is a fan favourite, taking down an evolved Pokemon to do so.

I can see justifications for a lot of these things. Ariados didn't give the impression of being physically strong and might well have been a recent capture, since Harley didn't have it in the Grand Festival. Squirtle did have some problems with Ice Beam initially, and it's not as if I want to watch it spend fifteen episodes perfecting the move after having already gone through the whole thing once already with Snorunt. And May's victory against Ariados was largely due to the fact that she used a weakness of Squirtle's to her advantage.

So I guess Squirtle is annoying and a bit uber, but it's not quite as bad as people make out. And IMO it's far less irritating than its loudest detractors, who can't seem to go a single post without ranting about it, whether it's on-topic or not. Yeah, guys, we get it. No, we don't care.

Jo-Jo said:
I think the main objection against Squirtle is that it was a starter Pokemon - in game terms, around level 5/6 - yet managed to learn Ice Beam with very little training (or already knew it from birth). It then went on to win the first contest it ever entered, against Harley, who is a fan favourite, taking down an evolved Pokemon to do so.

I can see justifications for a lot of these things. Ariados didn't give the impression of being physically strong and might well have been a recent capture, since Harley didn't have it in the Grand Festival. Squirtle did have some problems with Ice Beam initially, and it's not as if I want to watch it spend fifteen episodes perfecting the move after having already gone through the whole thing once already with Snorunt. And May's victory against Ariados was largely due to the fact that she used a weakness of Squirtle's to her advantage.

So I guess Squirtle is annoying and a bit uber, but it's not quite as bad as people make out. And IMO it's far less irritating than its loudest detractors, who can't seem to go a single post without ranting about it, whether it's on-topic or not. Yeah, guys, we get it. No, we don't care.

Even ash's squirtle doesn't know ice beam yet and look how long it's been training and it only learned hydropump in the battle against rudy so I don't understand how may's baby squirtle with little experience learns it without even having to see it done first (plus skitty had to see blizzard done to learn it) I think they probably forget how things work themselves sometimes.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom