• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG161: Juptile VS Tropius! Grassland Duel!!

GoldChaos

Reaction score
TV Tokyo has the preview up on their site.

Hmmm... there doesn't seem to be a trainer for the Tropius. But the local Nurse Joy has a Meganium that Grovyle ends up being smitten with. Heck, its twig sprouts a flower.

Bah! Grovyle should have fell in love with Ash's Bayleef, not some random Nurse Joy's Meganium. Thankfully Pokemon romances are usually just one-episode deals, so hopefully this will be put behind us as we move on.

Grovyle as a lovesick Pokemon sounds so disturbing, it almost makes it seem out of character. I can tolerate Corphish, Donphan and heck even Swellow in love. But Grovyle? My eyes they burn.

Has anyone else been having trouble watching TV Tokyo's previews? After the first two seconds or so on my computer they get really messed up.

Anyway, I did see Juptile glowing white at the end of it.

The preview seems to be working fine for me.

Grovyle is strangly OOC in this episode, but I don't think it will be all that bad.
Seeing a Meganium is a nice bonus. And, the Tropius does seem to be packing a punch. I'm noticing a pattern, Seviper, Shrifty, now Tropius. All of Treeko/Grovyle's chacter development episodes involve it getting into fights with wild Pokémon.

GoldChaos said:
Heck, its twig sprouts a flower.
Meganium's Pokédex entry says it's breath revives dead plants, I'm assuming that is why Grovyle's twig bloomed.

Grovyle? Falling in love? I just can't see it. It's so stubborn, like Lombre was.

Trainer-c said:
The preview seems to be working fine for me.

Grovyle is strangly OOC in this episode, but I don't think it will be all that bad.
Seeing a Meganium is a nice bonus. And, the Tropius does seem to be packing a punch. I'm noticing a pattern, Seviper, Shrifty, now Tropius. All of Treeko/Grovyle's chacter development episodes involve it getting into fights with wild Pokémon.

Meganium's Pokédex entry says it's breath revives dead plants, I'm assuming that is why Grovyle's twig bloomed.
well there was loudred/exploud. I dont mind this little infatuation. Although I could've seen this go with Bayleef more. It would be interesting to see in the future for Bayleef to see Sceptile and start liking/admiring it.

Grovyle will fall in love with Meganium, hehehe. How nice^^ I saw the preview and the story doesn't look bad. Grovyle will get a flower from her^^ I think, Joy's Meganium is really sweet, little different from Ash's Bayleef (his Bayleef is so obsessed about Ash XD). I hope, Grovyle won't evolve. Sceptile isn't as cool as Grovyle. I won't be sad if it stays with nurse Joy and Meganium.

Maddie said:
Grovyle will fall in love with Meganium, hehehe. How nice^^ I saw the preview and the story doesn't look bad. Grovyle will get a flower from her^^ I think, Joy's Meganium is really sweet, little different from Ash's Bayleef (his Bayleef is so obsessed about Ash XD). I hope, Grovyle won't evolve. Sceptile isn't as cool as Grovyle. I won't be sad if it stays with nurse Joy and Meganium.

I would be sad if it stayed because it's part of ashes new revolutionary team plus who's gonna part any fight that corphish gets himself into.

doodler243 said:
I would be sad if it stayed because it's part of ashes new revolutionary team plus who's gonna part any fight that corphish gets himself into.
Hmm.... Bayleef? ^_^ I wish I could see Bayleef by Ash's side again.

However.... Grovyle probably won't leave. I'm 98% sure.

It's not going to leave, Ash doesn't release his Pokemon anymore. Not counting Beedrill since he just caught it for a contest, he hasn't released a Pokemon since Lapras in the Orange Islands.

It'll just be dumped at Oak when all is said and done, maybe it'll get a crush on Bayleef then.

We even get to see Beedrill in the Casey episodes.

Didn't Ash heave a Seaking at some point?

It wasn't even his to keep anyway. Nobody else seemed to take theirs with them, so its safe to assume they were owned by the contest organisers.

The Seaking contest had different rules. None of the trainers were allowed to keep the Seaking after they left the lake, they were just there for the contest.

Two-parter?

Back to the subject of the thread, guys and gals.

It seem that Ash's Grovyle is turning into the Houen equivalent of Charizard - He who defeats all threats. It has all the best moves too, frequently leaving even Pikachu behind in the terms of screen time. Maybe the focus groups report that it is viewed as 'cool' by the audience. :cool:

I have noticed that what I believe is the next episode refers to a Sceptile. What is the possibility that this is a two-part episode that will include Grovyle evolving?

It's not a 2 parter, because the next episode is another contest episode for May. The "Sceptile Dawn of Revival" episode takes place after May's Contest episode.

It's funny because after the Lucy episode we had:

1. Orienteering filler
2. May Contest episode
3. Ash Grovyle episode
4. May Contest episode
5. Ash Sceptile episode

Aside from the first episode which was a filler about everyone, the writers have switched off from May to Ash, then back to May, and then back to Ash again. I've always said that AG keeps switching the spotlight between Ash/May, and since the BF arc is moving faster it's becoming easily more apparent.

Sceptile may be the "new" Charizard, but at least Charizard never lost to a Luvdisc. (lol)

BenRG said:
It seem that Ash's Grovyle is turning into the Houen equivalent of Charizard - He who defeats all threats. It has all the best moves too, frequently leaving even Pikachu behind in the terms of screen time. Maybe the focus groups report that it is viewed as 'cool' by the audience. :cool:
Actually judging by number of victories that's not so true. Its always been one of Ash's coolest Pokemon, but never favored as a trump card by Ash like Charizard is.

Indeed, a lot of fans have commented on being upset over how LITTLE screen time Grovyle gets. Its hardly been used on the Battle Frontier. I for one think its use is usualyl fairly balanced, and would rather see it used more seldom than see it used in poorly animated episodes.

Nevertheless I adore Grovyle and Sceptile, and am itching to see how the anime will make Ash's Sceptile look "cooler" than a lot of fans seem to think Sceptile is.

And yes, I know Sceptile has been in the anime, but if you recall the first Grovyle we saw looked no where near as cool as Ash's does. Not to mention that Sceptile never did any of the agile acrobatic moves that have made Grovyle such a favorite for many. All it did was dodge slowly with Detect and fire off Solarbeams.

I for one can't wait to see what a Leaf Blade from a Sceptile looks like. *imagines TR's balloon being sliced clean in half*

These are things I think we know with at least 99.9% certainty about this and the next Sceptile episode:

1. Ash's Grovyle will evolve to win in this episode or will evolve after winning.
2. The romance with Meganium will in some way not work out. Either Meganium will dislike Sceptile's form and/or choose Tropius (they are both long-necked dinosaurian Grass types), or Sceptile will lose interest in Meganium once its proven itself.
3. Somehow evolving to Sceptile will impair the creature in some way, resulting in it not being able to learn new attacks. Ash and his gecko dragon will have to train to remedy this.

I like that they're giving Sceptile a handicap (even if it will be brief), gives it more character and may help it avoid the fate of Charizard (which was still better than really being released).:ksmile:

Well it's official sceptile has arrived on the scene although I thought they would have saved it until he reached the next brain.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom