• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG161: Juptile VS Tropius! Grassland Duel!!

Which bio? The only Bulbagarden one is on Bulbapedia, where Meganium was added two days ago.

<New Avatar

Serebii's ep pics suggest Grovyle falls in love with Meganium because she uses Aromatherapy on him after his first encounter with Tropius. He then thinks the only way he is going to win her is to defeat Tropius. He fights him again and causes a lot a damage. Meganium appears and Grovyle rushes over to her with hearts in his eyes. Then, she goes to Tropius and uses Aromatherapy on him and they seem to be all cuddly and stuff. Grovyle is crushed and he even drops his twig. TR appears and captures Tropius and Meganium. Seeing Meganium in trouble, Grovyle evolves to Sceptile and tries to save her, only to find that his attacks are not working. Pika destroys their mecha or something, and then TR tries to get away in their balloon. They are blasted away by someone's Razor Leaf, probably Tropius. The couple live happily ever after and all that, but Scep looks really upset. Ash is all concerned about him, but Nurse Joy tells something to him, and makes him determined to help Sceptile. *cue sail off into sunset*

It makes me want to cry. :bheart: :bawling: Tropius and Meganium are a nice couple, though. The two apatosaurus pokemon.

The music in this episode was quite good. The inclusion of "OK!" really gave the battle scene energy. It's too bad it had to end that way for poor Jukain.

This was a funny episode Grovyle was pretty good at the whole love-sick shtick. The battles between Tropius/Grovyle were good, especially the rematch.

You know,it was almost like the writers of this episode were acknowledging the popular opinion that Grovyle > Sceptile.Don't get me wrong,I like Sceptile a lot,but I have to admit that the Treecko line might've been better if the final evolution was a bit more based on the Grovyle design.Sceptile even loses out on the extra leaf that Grovyle had on it's head,the same one he used to perform the Pound attack.

But in the end,it should be all for the better.Sceptile loses the leaves on it's head and arms,but it does gain a VERY vicious looking tail.I imagine the tail is going to pick up a lot of slack and it's probably going to be used to perform Leaf Blade.And I thought Sceptile screwing up Bullet Seed was realistic since it went through such a dramatic change.

Sceptile should learn a new attack to balance things out though.Solarbeam is the obvious one.(powerful,but a bit boring maybe) Dragon Claw is the popular choice,but I wouldn't mind Sceptile using attacks like Giga Drain or Fury Cutter.

Nomekop Oen said:
Sceptile loses the leaves on it's head and arms,but it does gain a VERY vicious looking tail.I imagine the tail is going to pick up a lot of slack and it's probably going to be used to perform Leaf Blade.
But we already saw it attempting to use Leaf Blade with the blades on its arms, so I don't see why it'd become another "hit the opponent with a glowing tail" attack. :< Although come to think of it...maybe hitting stuff with its tail is how it'll perform Pound and Slam now? (wait, did Grovyle ever learn Slam? I forgot...)

Anyway, this was a great episode. We get a break from the "newly evo'd Pokemon completely pwns whatever it's battling" cliche, Sceptile looks quite spiffy, and Grovyle's love for Meganium wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Although it getting hearts in its eyes when it thought that Meganium was running up to it was rather...corny. But it was a short scene, and followed by some of the funniest facial expressions Grovyle has ever had, so I can forgive that. :p

Juputoru said:
But we already saw it attempting to use Leaf Blade with the blades on its arms, so I don't see why it'd become another "hit the opponent with a glowing tail" attack. :<

Well that's what frustrating about the Grovyle/Sceptile evolution.Sceptile's,err.....thorns/spikes on it's arms are probably good enough to perform Leaf Blade.But the leaves Grovyle had were more like swords compared to what Sceptile gets.Leaf Blade will most likely be more powerful since Grovyle evolved,I don't know if it'll look as powerful.

Meh,Sceptile will be a badass Pokemon nonetheless.Given the right choreography and animation,it's going to look awsome when it's battling.It's just that everytime I see him,I'm going to be thinking,"Damn,I wish he still had the two blades."

Juputoru said:
(wait, did Grovyle ever learn Slam? I forgot...)
Never officially. It "slammed" Winona's Altaria into the ground, but Slam's description say it needs to be done with a vine (Tangela) or tail (Pikachu). The only reason(s) there is any controversy is because Drake's Dragonite did a similar attack in the Orange League final battle and (the more lenient one) because the Treecko line learns the attack.

With Sceptile now on the front, Slam is a BIG possibility.

Have to say I hope they really make good use of sceptile hope it learns solarbeam and shoot it out of it's shoulders or something. Or even if it learnt an attack that's not common to it's type like earthquake would be wicked.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom