• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG162: Pokémon Contest! Yuzuriha Convention!!

Scott85 said:
Wasn't the second blush because Wakana fainted in May's arms when Drew walked by?

Drew said something like, "2 more ribbons to go!" and then Wakana fainted and kinda fell backward into May's arms, and she blushes for some reason.

I think the second blush had more to do with Wakana fainting over Drew, considering that May blushing over Drew saying "2 more ribbons to go!" sounds kinda...odd.

I'll give you the first blush though. :p
Nope, that's nothing like how I saw it...

Drew walks up and talks to May and Wakana. Drew starts talking to them both with Wakana blushing already, and something he says about Vibrava and Flygon makes her very excited for a moment then faint. There's some comments from the peanut gallery, including Brock looking a bit miffed (and I'm guessing he's wondering why Drew is a lady killer and he's not), then Drew says something to May that has a "Hey, nice job" tone to it, and she's surprised and blushing at first, then turns away a bit and responds, giving the sound of trying to sound less flattered than she actually is. Drew says something to her involving the Grand Festival and walks away, and she's still blushing as she watches him go.

Not only is there quite a bit that happens in between, that's a ten second gap between them at least. If May's blushing because Wakana fainted, that's a REALLY delayed reaction. I smell denial.

Well blushing just because Drew gave her some encouragement doesn't fit either, since he's done that in the past and May never blushed like THAT.

I believe Drew's line was, "2 more ribbons to go!" or something like that to May.

Wakana fainting in May's arms got May to realize how much the ladies really adore him, and I'm guessing that's why she blushed. May's never fangirled Drew like all the other girls, maybe she's finally figuring out why?

That second blush just seems off based on the dialouge alone.

I was astonished at Team Rocket's behavior in this ep. Jessie entered the contest without any sort of trickery except a disguise, they didn't try to steal any Pokemon, and Jessie even went up to May after their battle and...I'm not sure what she said, but it was nice...I think she thanked her for the battle. And at the end of the ep Jessie and Manene were just sitting on the beach, staring out at the water, while Meowth and James spied on them. Not sure what to make of all this.

The second blush can't be based on anything other than dialogue, because that's what May's responding to. It's simple cause and effect.

But why blush so much over a piece of encouragement, or advice? Drew's said this stuff to May before, and she's either nodded or made some comment of her own.

May going into a deep blush and a trance for something as casual as that which has happened several times in the past? I just can't picture it, surely Wakana fainting in her arms has some impact on the situation.

Is it confirmed that he said <b>exactly</b> those words? He must have said something else to May to make her blush.

Geodude said:
I was astonished at Team Rocket's behavior in this ep. Jessie entered the contest without any sort of trickery except a disguise, they didn't try to steal any Pokemon, and Jessie even went up to May after their battle and...I'm not sure what she said, but it was nice...I think she thanked her for the battle. And at the end of the ep Jessie and Manene were just sitting on the beach, staring out at the water, while Meowth and James spied on them. Not sure what to make of all this.

I was quite shocked about this too. Is there anybody who can tell us what was said in those scenes?

May going into a deep blush and a trance for something as casual as that which has happened several times in the past? I just can't picture it
That's unsurprising. You're an Advanceshipper. :p

surely Wakana fainting in her arms has some impact on the situation.
It didn't. Unless May has the slowest reaction time EVER. Her blush was in response to Drew complimenting her, nothing else.

Kasumi-san said:
He's just in denial, Jo-Jo. :p

Again, I insist Drew must have said something else besides "2 more ribbons to go" to make May blush, though. The amount of time she kept blushing was too much.

Well according to a Contestshipper on SPP who read this off some Japanese message forum, that's all Drew said.

"2 more ribbons to go."

Unless someone can translate that better so we know for sure, I'll tend to believe a Contestshipper who said this. I mean, why would a SPP Contestshipper lie about a ship they like?

I've learnt to see the facts firsthand rather than listen to secondary reports. A translation would be very useful.

Thanks to Archaic for an explanation of a couple things, this is part of a convo between me and him on AIM:

Shiny Geodude: first off, tell me if this is right... (gimme a sec to find and C&P the post)
Shiny Geodude: Max (I think it was Max) was surprised that Munchlax was able to fire the Solarbeam so quickly. Brock looked up at the sky (the Contest House evidently had no roof, like a baseball stadium) and I think he said that Solarbeam doesn't need any charge-up time when the sun is bright like it is now.
ArchaicEternal: Yes.
ArchaicEternal: They were basically showing Sunny Day in show.
Shiny Geodude: thought so
Shiny Geodude: what about the whole thing with Jessie and her not doing anything wrong?
ArchaicEternal: She seems to have gone all nostalgic over "young love".
ArchaicEternal: Seemed to imply that Haruka and the new girl would be fighting for Shun's heart.
Shiny Geodude: so she eavesdropped on their conversation and then added her two cents because she thought it was cute how they both liked Drew?
ArchaicEternal: Pretty much.

Shuu: "Haruka."
Haruka: "Ee?" ("Eh?")
Shuu: "Ato wa futatsu da." (Sounds like "two more to go" to me. [ato+number=another __ (ex. ato sannin=another three people); futatsu=two things])
Haruka: *blush*

Last edited:
Maybe May took it as a compliment? As if Drew was saying that he believes she's good enough to get those other two ribbons?

Maybe he said 'Only' two more to go. He did, afterall refer to the Grand Festival directly afterwards - presumably saying 'See you at the Grand Festival'.

Compliment enough i'd say.

Shiny Geodude: so what's up with the scene with Jessie & Manene together looking out at the water at the end of the ep?
ArchaicEternal: I'll translate it for you.
Shiny Geodude: cool
ArchaicEternal: Jessie: "First love is good, isn't it"
Manene: "Ma ne" (That's a joke. "Ma ne" would mean "I guess so")
Meowth: "Jessie isn't her usual self"
James: "It'll snow tomorrow. It's absolutly going to snow tomorrow" (Think "It's snowing in hell right now", or "Pigs are flying")
Wobbuffet: "Sounensu" (Another joke."Sou ne" would be an informal way to agree with something just said)

Doctor Oak said:
Maybe he said 'Only' two more to go. He did, afterall refer to the Grand Festival directly afterwards - presumably saying 'See you at the Grand Festival'.

Compliment enough i'd say.
I don't hear anything that could be translated as "only." Shuu was encouraging her, not (quite) complementing her. It might even count as very slight teasing, at least in our (Haruka and my) heads. The rest:

Shuu: "Haruka."
Haruka: "Ee?" ("Eh?")
Shuu: "Ato wa futatsu da." ("Two more to go.")
Haruka: ::blush:: Sh-Shuu wa ribon, ikutsu na* no yo. ("Y-you have lots of/all the ribbons, Shuu.")
Shuu: "Sou* ne. Demo Grand Festival ni wa, itsutsu hitsuyou dakara ne." ("Yeah. But that's because you need five for the Grand Festival.")

*1. That's what I hear.
2. I honestly can't tell if she's saying na or no. It sounds a lot like a cross between them. As for the translation, I wasn't quite sure, but hopefully you (and I...) get the idea. By the way, how many ribbons does Shuu have?
3. Again, I can't tell if that's saa or sou.

What I wonder about is the part at the beginning where Haruka asks Shuu if the note and rose were from him then goes on about how she won't lose against him this time. He denies it, says something like "Daitai(?), boku ga sonna koto suru to omoukai," everyone says "omou" and Pikachu points happily, causing Shuu to sweatdrop and blush, then says he's not entering today's contest. What the hell just happened? I don't understand what he said at that one point.

Last edited:
Do we ever find out what the letter actually said? I mean, wouldn't the fact that it said "Dear Drew" and not "from Drew" have been a bit of a give away?

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom