• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

AG166, AG167 Titles Revealed

Kasumi-san said:
Then you are contradicting yourself, since what Doctor Oak said was only that May wouldn't stand a chance vs Brock in a normal pokémon battle. He never mentioned something about NOT liking May.

Sure, but saying that Brock would "totally own" May is a complete stretch, even in a normal battle since the proof is in canon, with May pulling off incredible wins against evolved Pokemon many times over.

What was the last great victory Brock had in a Pokemon battle? Not in a capture, or against Team Rocket, but in a regular battle? I'm curious.

This has to be the happiest moment I've ever had since Brock actually got Bonsly. Eee. And it fits in with his whole breeder thing - I mean, seriously, he was competing in contests before contests were introduced - Beauty and the Breeder, anyone? Granted, it doesn't have as much of a performance aspect as May's contests, but really, he's been cut out for this stuff from the start. I'm cheering for Brock in this one - May can deal with losing a ribbon, but when else are we gonna get to see Brock really shine?

What's "Inazuma" translate to? Because a 'person' wearing a cloak, that can use Pokémon techniques but talk like a human... am I the only one who's thinking Mewtwo might be seen again?

Brock has the perfect advantage up his sleeves- he's a farking Pokemon Genius.

He:

A) Has watched all of May's battles, contest or otherwise and knows her strategy inside out
B) He's always the one sitting going "hmm" 'cause he knows what Ash or May are thinking when they come off with random 'silly' strategies that get them their wins
C) He's a very competent battler, he gives Ash a good run for his money in their practice battles and is - of course - a Gym Leader.
D) May's relatively inexperienced in normal battles.

I never once said that I don't like May and I'm sure that since it's a contest, she'll probably win. I'd hardly call it an 'anti-May' Bias. You just need to get over yourself.

Doctor Oak said:
Brock has the perfect advantage up his sleeves- he's a farking Pokemon Genius.

He:

A) Has watched all of May's battles, contest or otherwise and knows her strategy inside out
B) He's always the one sitting going "hmm" 'cause he knows what Ash or May are thinking when they come off with random 'silly' strategies that get them their wins
C) He's a very competent battler, he gives Ash a good run for his money in their practice battles and is - of course - a Gym Leader.

I never once said that I don't like May and I'm sure that since it's a contest, she'll probably win. I'd hardly call it an 'anti-May' Bias. You just need to get over yourself.

Exactly surely him and max must have enough ammo if they were ever to battle against any of them. Plus bonsly has been out in the world longer than evee so i'm rooting for bonsly plus her oober pokemon streak needs to calm with getting a thrashing from bonsly.

Not Max.

Max is a kid with no Pokemon, no training experience and no strategy. He's merely a walking Pokedex - and pretty much nothing more.

Bonsly has not received much training while Eevee is only trained in "Dawn of Revival". We only know that Bonsly is powerful from the way it keeps attacking Brock. But power isn't everything in a contest battle...

This will be very interesting.

It feels so weird to see another contest title come out when the last one's only just aired. I should be used to this now, I know.

Anyway, May Vs. Brock = AWESOME! Great idea. Well done, writers. May winning is inevitable, though I'd kind of rather see Brock win, just so he can get a little respect. Like everyone's pointed out, he has been training for far longer than May.

Doctor Oak said:

Alright.

Actually, Brock doesn't seem to get what Ash/May are doing until AFTER they perform it. He may have a good idea, but I'm sure he can't read their minds. That's why May and Max look confused after Ash does something in a Gym, Brock explains what happens AFTER Ash does something.

There have been a few times where Brock knew exactly what Ash/May were doing from the getgo, but other times he has to wait till they actually perform it.

I've noticed in their practice battles the writers have Brock put up a decent fight so Ash doesn't win too quickly.

Go watch "Candid Camerupt," and tell me that Brock's battling skills haven't seriously gone downhill as of late. His Mudkip lost to a Zigzagoon within 30 seconds, not exactly prime material.

Uh, no she isn't. We're 160 episodes into AG, she's had a gazillion normal battles. Skitty Vs. Ampharmos? Munchlax Vs. Vileplume? Beautifly Vs. Roselia from Candid Camerupt? I could go on and on.

To say otherwise is to ignore huge stretches of canon.

Last edited:
It will be a tough battle whoever wins. The writers wouldn't have it any other way.
ZoraJolteon said:
Munchlax vs Bonsly, appeals by Eevee and Marshtomp, without a doubt.
We already know that May has decided to use Eevee and I suspect that this is a contest where the same Pokémon will be used for appeals and battles. But how can Bonsly appeal?

On another note, one of the judges is Nurse Joy. ^^

I don't see the logic behind abandoning the Kanto contest format and going back to the Hoenn one.

Ok, I just realized something. Someone mentioned Mewtwo, if you remeber the scene from one of the Johto Openings, Mewtwo is seen on a skyscraper!

OMG, if the writers bring back Mewtwo I will forgive them for leaving out all other old characters.

Howveer, I say it's probably a Latias...

Mewtwo is like that in the recent dub opening and has been wearing that cape since the end of Mewtwo Returns.

The only problem with it being Latias is that this person is male.

Don't know what to make of the first new episode. It sounds...interesting. Hopefully it won't be a boring filler.

As for the second episode title, I can't WAIT!!!! YAY! Brock DOES something! lol. When I saw the title on serebii I got really excited. I hope they have a good battle. Having Brock compete in a contest is an excellent idea. It will be interesting to see how the two of them interact. Now if only we could have a contest where Jessie and May fight in the final round! *gives the writers puppy-dog eyes* please??

Good suggestion about latias, kasumi.
I could see Brock winning. Both pokemon are inexperienced with contests. Although May has been in more Brock knows quite a bunch and I'm sure has learned a few things after watching almost all of Ash's battles, being a gym leader, and watching 12 contests and a GF. I always wanted brock to have something to acknoweledge that he still pursues his career. I actually wouldn't mind his character next saga spinning off and doing contests if he had to stay with the group. Also it seems 4 episodes from feb. 16 to march 9 are provided so the spencer battle and bonsly/manene ones are summarized.

Ghost_Master said:
Good suggestion about latias, kasumi.
I could see Brock winning. Both pokemon are inexperienced with contests. Although May has been in more Brock knows quite a bunch and I'm sure has learned a few things after watching almost all of Ash's battles, being a gym leader, and watching 12 contests and a GF. I always wanted brock to have something to acknoweledge that he still pursues his career. I actually wouldn't mind his character next saga spinning off and doing contests if he had to stay with the group. Also it seems 4 episodes from feb. 16 to march 9 are provided so the spencer battle and bonsly/manene ones are summarized.

And people seem to forget brock is an ex 'rock type' (which bonsly is part) gym leader. He beat his mum (a water type trainer) with his rock type so I have faith that he can thrash may with bonsly as little as it may be.

FabuVinny said:
The only problem with it being Latias is that this person is male.

Not necessarily. I was only assuming that the character in the Skyscraper episode is a male, since English grammar tells you to use "him" when you're referring to a person whose gender you're not sure about. Inazuma could very well be a female since Japanese is ambiguous like that.

And either way, who's to say that Latias can't transform into someone of the opposite gender if it wanted to?

Pie said:
What's "Inazuma" translate to? Because a 'person' wearing a cloak, that can use Pokémon techniques but talk like a human... am I the only one who's thinking Mewtwo might be seen again?

Literally, "Lightning". Old time PASBL-ers may remember this as the name of my Pikachu. ^^;;

I know this is going to rile up Scott, but since no one else has said this....
If Takeshi makes a habit of entering contests, this could give some weight to the theory that Haruka (and by extension, Masato) will leave the group at the start of the D/P season. Her original purpose was simply as a token female/RuSa character/contest trainer afterall.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom