• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG166: The Red Lightning of Skyscrapers!

FabuVinny

May the Aura be with you.
Reaction score
While going through Komoda City, Ash and his friends hear about "The Red Inazuma," a person who wears a cloak and is said to perform Pokémon techniques himself. Even though he can use Pokémon attacks and speak human language, "The Red Inazuma" seems to be frightened of being around people.

...And he is a Scizor, which is boring. Then again, the end of the preview hints that that still may not be the case.

According to Serebii, there is a new intro with this episode. That's not 100% confirmed, though.

The anime writers are stupid bastards.

Although it should be interesting to see Scizor speaking I suppose. And Scizor does kick nice amounts of ass.

But seriously, that description was an open invitation for a Mewtwo cameo.

Edit: After just having watched the preview, I have one thing to say:

JIGGLYPUFF

I'd rather Mewtwo get another big movie then a stupid filler. Thank god they didn't waste a Mewtwo appearance on this episode.

Mewtwo isn't getting another movie anytime soon. This could have been a good episode, but instead we get some kid dressed up as a Scizor.

This does look like a good episode, what's wrong with it? A Cyborg-Scizor who is probably a human? Pretty cool.

I know, but something like a "Mewtwo Returns" special would be great for another Mewtwo appearance.

Besides, May and Max have still yet to meet Mewtwo! Hopefully it'll happen in a big event, like a movie or a multi-part episode.

Mewtwo is way too important to waste on a filler episode, especially since we haven't seen him since Johto.

The Pokemon Anime: "All we accomplish is waste of potential!"

FabuVinny said:
According to Serebii, there is a new intro with this episode. That's not 100% confirmed, though.
PokeAni and Pokémon.co.jp also mention a new intro. Personally, I wish they'd waited at least until after the Battle Tower episodes so we could see Lila/Anabel unshaded like the previous five Brains. That is, unless they plan on carrying over that part to the new intro, which I doubt.
Doctor Oak said:
The anime writers are stupid bastards.
Seishi Togawa, to be more specific...
Edit: After just having watched the preview, I have one thing to say:

JIGGLYPUFF
Lemme take a wild guess at what you mean: you think the Red Inazuma is Jigglypuff? :confused:

No. Have a look at the familiar markings on Squirtle and Poliwag. :-D

Zeta said:
The Pokemon Anime: "All we accomplish is waste of potential!"
Although they do miss some good opportunities they can also come up with better alternatives. I mean come on some speculation we come up with is way too hopeful. Lets see writers come up with an episode based upon a mechanical Scizor. It is published about a human performing attacks and nervous around people. We get speculation that Mewtwo appears. Sorry but I dont think its the writers fault that the fanbase comes up with extremely hopeful speculation. Also I seem to recall that some people complained about serebii's appearance. So either way writers can never please fanbase. Also we've had alot of events happening its nice to see an occasional filler or two. Besides next episode will be a contest episode with May vs. Brock.

And here I thought we had seen the last of Jigglypuff. This episode actually looks pretty exciting. I kinda like seeing the hero's Pokémon fighting in an urban setting. I get the feeling that Scizor is hooked up with somekind of monitering system, which allows it's trainer to speak through it, and issue commands to it.

FabuVinny said:
No. Have a look at the familiar markings on Squirtle and Poliwag. :-D
If some of the speculation on SPPf is any indication, those markings are not 100% guaranteed to be those of Jigglypuff; they might be the work of the Red Inazuma instead.

We'll see.

The anime does waste a lot of potential, though. Look at the end of the Groudon/Kyogre story. And I think the main complaint about Celebi is that May went back in time two episodes later. We're not always going to be right in our speculation but the writers do give themselves a lot of potential that they often don't live up to.

FabuVinny said:
We'll see.

The anime does waste a lot of potential, though. Look at the end of the Groudon/Kyogre story. And I think the main complaint about Celebi is that May went back in time two episodes later. We're not always going to be right in our speculation but the writers do give themselves a lot of potential that they often don't live up to.
true but speculation like this was kinda well unexpected from the writers stand point. Yeah I agree the writers usually shoot themselves in the foot with things. They do a great job on building up a good arc in the anime they have it go just fine but end it horrible even when the first part was actually good as well. They had a great series of events in May's GF and yet crammed it into three episodes to make it not as awesome as possible. In Ash's league case they had the right characters, the right scene and everything but managed to make the league to be a dulled down version of Johto. They do come up with doog alternatives though. James gave away Chimecho which still gets me mad but manene is really awesome and is one of my fav anime babies. Although the Lucy battle stunk they managed to fit in everything we wanted to see with her and some more. I thought lucy/brock shipping was really smart of the writers.

Anyway to stay ontopic I dont think we should hope to much on jigglypuff's return. Besides those markings dont look like its usual style. And it also used to make funny/odd faces all I saw was something that looked like tic tac toe exploded on the pokemon.

Nobody has mentioned this yet, but there was a Butterfree in the preview, that means one of two things:

The writers were to stubborn to make it Ash's and its that girls or ITS ASH'S BUTTERFREE!!!! Also, Scott, where are you coming up with this Mewtwo stuff, there hasn't been ny speculation for Mewtwo.

The speculated identity of "The Red Inazuma" was between Mewtwo and Latias. And I seriously doubt that that is Ash's Butterfree.

It's not dead, even in the Japanese version. But it still isn't coming back anytime soon.

Here's the markings:
oj15x3.jpg

oj195i.jpg

The fact that it is only on the Pokémon does seem suspicious. Maybe it is the work of "The Red Inazuma"...

The fact that the markings on Poliwag seem to vary between thin and thick is probably an indication that it's not Jigglypuff - who only has that one single marker that probably should have dried up years ago.

I'm sorely hoping that it will be though - especially after the YET AGAIN missed potential for its appearence right back at the start of BF.

Maybe Jiggly is still roaming around Hoenn. We don't know if it found its way back to Kanto or not.

We haven't seen Jigglypuff since Mauville City. It could be anywhere by now.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom