• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG167: Decisive Game! Haruka VS Takeshi!!

I think we can safely conclude now that Point System = "Let's See How Much We Can Twist The Battle In May's Favor!"

Pie: Fair enough, I'd like to see the May bashing toned down a bit however.

As for the Wakana contest, the bars look slightly different because of the animation change!

And besides, May won that Contest by fainting her opponent, so therefore points didn't matter in that one.

That seems a little harsh. If anything, thats just down to the animators not giving a crap about being too persistant. Just look at the score board for instance. One minute May's photograph overlaps the white ribbon logo, the next it fits just inside it. And now the ribbon logo is blue. Even the pokéball & crown symbols are colored differently.

What May bashing? It seems to be consensus that Brock came out on top because he was just a much better battler in the contest.

The Points system means nothing. The Pokémon battle for the audience's amusement for 5 minutes and if neither Pokémon have fainted then the writers just give May more points. Nomally it doesn't matter as much as here, however.

I think this contest proved that May and Brock are around the same level. It was a pretty close battle even though May used her weakest pokemon and Brock used possibly his strongest pokemon on his team right now. The only thing Brock should've done was do some training with his pokemon. If Brock still had Onix and May used Combusken it would be extremely close. I have to disagree with anyone who says Brock wouldve beat her if it wasnt a contest. Brock had a good strategy but he hasnt put any effort with his pokemon. May actually did quite a bit of training with Eevee before the contest. I think Brock actually got it pretty easy. May had tons of issues with her first couple contests and even some of her pokemon had problems. Brock didnt have one problem that is way too lucky if you ask me.

Brock is not lucky. He is a Gym Leader who knows how to battle. You don't hear anything like "Torchic! Use Amber!" from him, do you?

(Yes I'm aware that was in AG3, but my point is that Brock is an experienced trainer while May was just a newbie when she first tried at contests.)

Rewatching the battle, I can't help but think that Brock would have won if he had not used Mud Shot on the field. When it was using the radar fin, it was able to prepare a counterattack before Eevee even popped out of the ground. Eevee also had trouble seeing these moves coming while it was digging around the field. Putting them on the same playing ground eliminated his big advantage.

Sukizo still made this contest with his dynamic "ya, suki desu ne!" shot.

Eevee suddenly learning Dig on the day of the contest was a little cheap too, bit it's hardly the first time the aime has done that.

So what were they saying about the Grand Festival after that girl brings up the subject of the contest? And is that a mention of Shuu I heard?

I loved Pikachu in this episode. :-D

Ok, those CG Bubbles just did not look right!

The Joy flirting had brilliant timing. I'm actually surprised that the one he was supposed to be impressing was actually amused by it.

To be honest, I am surprised that Brock managed to get through the appeals. First, he uses Fake Tears that isn't too impressive and then he does a trick that would require lots of training. Somehow I doubt he put in the training, what with only deciding to enter at the last minute and everything.

So what was everyone shocked abut just before the battles?

Nice victory against Absol. It would have been nice if we had seen a little more of it, but that doesn't matter since he shows his skill in the last battle.

To make thing worse, I think all those miss hits leaping from the ground may have been just one piece of action from different angles. And not only should Brock have not lost all those points, Eevee has apparently been getting off lightly compared to all the points lost to Water Gun.

But then Haruka's Theme starts and of course May must now turn things around. Standing on a rock to get off the mud I can understand. Running up a Water Gun I can't. (Though I suppose it still doesn't rank as high as the Mossdeep Gym Battle in that regard.) I can understand Brock losing points to that since it happened but then you come to Pie's points about where on earth he lost points before then. It should have already been too late for May. Brock just seemed to take one hit and stop trying. But we know that one hit normally doesn't bother him. Come to think of it, how then did May still manage to lose a load of points when she was making her victory?

I liked how the writers used the Raticate/Absol trainer. It's nice to have a competitor that doesn't pose as the main rival focussed on. So how long until the two characters of the day get shipped together?

And Ash's reaction to Brock's rejection was brilliant! :-D

Ghost_Master said:
I think this contest proved that May and Brock are around the same level. It was a pretty close battle even though May used her weakest pokemon and Brock used possibly his strongest pokemon on his team right now. The only thing Brock should've done was do some training with his pokemon. If Brock still had Onix and May used Combusken it would be extremely close. I have to disagree with anyone who says Brock wouldve beat her if it wasnt a contest. Brock had a good strategy but he hasnt put any effort with his pokemon. May actually did quite a bit of training with Eevee before the contest. I think Brock actually got it pretty easy. May had tons of issues with her first couple contests and even some of her pokemon had problems. Brock didnt have one problem that is way too lucky if you ask me.

Wow. Way to contradict yourself big time. First you say the match was pretty close (which is not true since Marshtomp was kicking Eevee's arse most of the time) and then you said Brock got it pretty easy? Make up your mind.

And to Scott: who's bashing May. All are we are saying is that if life was fair, Brock should have won. Of course, that wouldn't have happened since May needs the ribbons and Brock doesn't.

The May bashing comes from a few pages back in this thread, as well as in other threads on this forum (on the non-anime forum threads that I've browsed).

I think Yamato-san mentioned how if Brock won, the woman with dark hair would have invited him to travel with her. She won a Grand Festival in the past, and is apparently a mentor to young coordinators (that's her connection to the green haired girl I think). At the end even though Brock lost, the woman said that he's already an impressive battler/coordinator/whatever and that she would have nothing to teach him, which is why she walked off without him and Brock got sad.

Am I the only one surprised that this is the second time this saga that the writers opened the door for Brock to leave with a woman? (The first time being Lucy). Should be thankful that Brock lost then, otherwise this could have been his final episode.

Scott85 said:
I think Yamato-san mentioned how if Brock won, the woman with dark hair would have invited him to travel with her. She won a Grand Festival in the past, and is apparently a mentor to young coordinators (that's her connection to the green haired girl I think). At the end even though Brock lost, the woman said that he's already an impressive battler/coordinator/whatever and that she would have nothing to teach him, which is why she walked off without him and Brock got sad.

Am I the only one surprised that this is the second time this saga that the writers opened the door for Brock to leave with a woman? (The first time being Lucy). Should be thankful that Brock lost then, otherwise this could have been his final episode.
You've got a fixation on Brock leaving, man.

The point at the end was that Brock did too well, and therefore she didn't feel she had any use to him. If Brock had won, that would have just shown her even more that he has a very good idea of what he's doing, and convinced her even more to help the Raticate girl instead.

So, basically, if Brock had sucked overall in this contest, then she would've offered to travel with him and provide her services.

And even in that scenario, do you really think they'd let Brock leave so easily? They always come up with some excuse in the end why he doesn't.

Ok. With the whole May bashing thing... Just shut up about it. From what I've read it's all the Misty/Brock lovers that hate May cause she gets more attention than they're favourite characters. There was no way Brock would have one anyways. He doesnt need to go to the Grande Festival. May DOES. So just shut up about the whole May thing. T___T

Pie said:
You've got a fixation on Brock leaving, man.

I could say the same about you and others about May y'know. Anyway of couse I was speaking hypothetically, as cast changes only happen at the very end or the very beginning of a saga, never in the middle. We'll have our current AG group as is until the D/P saga starts, whenever that is.

So, basically, if Brock had sucked overall in this contest, then she would've offered to travel with him and provide her services.
And even in that scenario, do you really think they'd let Brock leave so easily? They always come up with some excuse in the end why he doesn't.

I realize that. Just like I didn't expect Lucy to suddenly wrap her hands around Brock and keep him forever either. It's just the "concept" that Brock had two girls (Lucy/Breeder girl), that the writers created that could have led to Brock falling in love with them and staying with them.

And as I said, Bonsly is seriously helping Brock with his love life. He's getting more attention from girls since he caught Bonsly than ever before. I can't help but think that Bonsly will eventually lead Brock to his match, whichever girl that turns out to be.

Ok. With the whole May bashing thing... Just shut up about it. From what I've read it's all the Misty/Brock lovers that hate May cause she gets more attention than they're favourite characters. There was no way Brock would have one anyways. He doesnt need to go to the Grande Festival. May DOES. So just shut up about the whole May thing. T___T
*considers* Mmmmmmmm...... nah, don't think we will. But please, keep right on pitching a hissy fit! It's quite entertaining. :)

Maybe the judges favor cute girls? I like the idea of May flashing her chest for Mr. Contesta. :)

Of course, this person strategically chose not to post that under their real username. :p I think I know who it was though. :p

Pttf.

conclusions4wa.png

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom