• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Alakazam vs Gardevoir

Reaction score
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to this psychic showdown! We have two contestants, each of them fighting hard to win in all categories!

First, we have the cunning Alakazam, the Psi Pokémon!

Spr_5b_065_m.png

Next, we have the beautiful Gardevoir, the Embrace Pokémon!

Spr_5b_282.png

Why are these two Pokémon's merits being discussed? Well my friends, first and foremost, they are both psychic types, but not only that, they are also the "early" psychic types in at least one generation! In addition, they could very well be the faces for a battle of sexes: Alakazam resembles a male figure, while Gardevoir seems to represent a feminine figure. However, the funny thing is that both of them can actually be of both sexes, no matter their looks, although, in the case of Alakazam, the female will have a shorter moustache.

Now, ladies and gentlemen, the time has come for you to decide who wins in each of the categories and overall! You may use any reasoning you like, obviously, but to help you, here are some questions:

• Who is the best battler?
    [*]Who has the dashing looks?
    [*]Who is the most satisfactory early psychic type?
    [*]Who represents better the sex they seem to symbolize?
    [*]Who is the best, overall?

[*]BONUS QUESTION: Is there a spoon?

My answer is gardevoir..
Who is the best battler? alakazam, because it is faster, has better spatk..
Who has the dashing looks? gardevoir looks cuter..
Who is the most satisfactory early psychic type? ralts, abra is compltely useless as it cant learn anything better than teleport
Who represents better the sex they seem to symbolize? Gardevoir
Who is the best, overall? of course, gardevoir..because it has a better movepool and has trace..

Therefore gardevoir is better because it gets 4/5..

Who is the best battler?
Alakazam can deal a lot of damage (he can reach 400+ in Sp. Attack without any boost), while Gardevoir is good on the support side. Both can help a team in their own way.
Who has the dashing looks?
I've never really been a fan of Alakazam, so Gardevoir.
Who is the most satisfactory early psychic type?
Gardevoir, because you don't have to trade to make her evolve. That's a big plus.
Who represents better the sex they seem to symbolize?
I think they both represent well their respective gender.
Who is the best, overall?
Gardevoir, because she can be a supporter as well as a sweeper, so the opponent never knows what you're doing.
BONUS QUESTION: Is there a spoon?
THERE SHALL BE NO SPOON.

I've always liked Gardevoir by design, and she's been a real help on various teams in the past. Meanwhile, Alakazam seems like a cool enough dude, but I've never had the occasion to use one on a team. Its only design factor that stands out to me is the fact that it wields spoons, which is pretty awesome.

I choose Gardevoir, if only because I'm much more familiar with her.

Who is the best battler?
- I dunno...Gardevoir has overally better stats and actually can take a hit,
but then again, Alakazams S.ATK combined with its amazing speed make it just ridiculously powerful.
Then again, Gardevoir has access to moves like Thunderbolt and Destiny Bond,
but on the other hand, again, there's no stopping Alakazam if it get's a set up and has the Magic Guard.
*and the list goes on and on...*

...This one is a draw. Been using both of them and they're both just amazing.

- ...Again, a draw.
Gardevoir looks...you know...And Alakazam is just cool.
Draw. Again.

- Are you kidding me? No contest. You rock, girlie.
Ralts since it can do SOMETHING...
Just leveling Magikarp until it evolves is enough work to do and I'm not doing that with two pokes on a gameplay, thank you.
Also, Kirlia gets easier evolution method. ...

- Gardevoir.
There are males who dress up as a female,
but not that many females with mustaches.

- It's a draw.
Both have their niches.

Wote goes to: Both.

Gardevoir embodies the more "emotional" aspects of psychics, while Alakazam is wiser.
Gardevoir's abilities tend to do with emotions. It is said to be a pokemon that would give its life for its trainer, and that's very believable given its whole background.

Though I really like Alakazam too, as it has a sage image... but I preffer Gardevoir.

Funnily enough, the first PMD featured both of them as main characters.

* Who is the best battler?
Alakazam was the pseudo-Mewtwo, for when you could only have one Mewtwo. In later generations though it had a decline as psychic sweppers got more and more nerfed (with reason). Gardevoir stands out as a pretty useful Special oriented pokemon, that can act offensive, defensive and as support.
* Who has the dashing looks?
I preffer how the entire Ralts line looks. They are dancers.
* Who is the most satisfactory early psychic type?
Abra can't do anything and is essentially useless at first. Ralts starts with no offense either and next to the bug forest, but eventually it can start attacking. Also lol Synchronize.
* Who represents better the sex they seem to symbolize?
I have a male Gardevoir and it's a psychic bishie. That said, it is feminine enough.
The first Alakazam you see, Sabrina's, is female.
* Who is the best, overall?
I don't know, they probably are tied. Gardevoir is a personal prefference.

Had the pointer on both option but then had a nostalgia attack. Alakazam was one of the strongest Pokemon back in those days

Oh, Alakazam by a long shot. That SpAtk is too good to ignore, and he has the speed to ensure he's in the fight for a while. And with access to Shadow Ball, Charge Beam, Focus Blast, Hyper Beam, Toxic, and previously Calm Mind and Signal Beam, he's pretty much one of the best.

The only drawback for him was the Physical/Special split. No more powerful Fire Punch.

Still, though, that mustache also draws some attention.

And about the spoon, yes, he has two in fact.

Alakazam, partly because I love Abra so much (Chimchar, with his Taunt, was my Abra catching assistant), and partly because Alakazam all-around rocks. (Even his worst ability is very useful, on a lead set.) The spoons are cool.

There's nothing wrong with Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir/Gallade though. They boast (with the exception of Gallade) one of the main virtues of Abra/Kadabra/Alakzazam, Synchronize. That can make a Ralts of every nature a good catch (that's why I have a career of Abra-catching). Trace is also a very good ability. They all look great too (I like how Ralts has a sleepy Abra-like thing going on), and, though relatively unused in the main tier of competitive play, are still very viable there.

To bug everyone, I'll refer to Alakazam as a girl, and Gardevoir as a boy. ._.

Who is the best battler?
Alakazam is a slightly weaker Mewtwo, while Gardevoir is...something. o3o I guess Alakazam since she has speed.

You know Alakazam is a true gentle-lady with that 'stache. Gardevoir charms men and women alike with his graceful trappiness, though. So this is a tie for me.

Definately Ralts. He's much more reliable than the flighty Abra. I always gave up in Abra since the little buggers would always teleport before I could weaken them for capture. D8

Gardevoir for me. He's easy to catch, to evolve, and he is a graceful man, which is rare these days. His cry is gentler than Ala's, too, so I feel safe with him.

Ala had a spoon, but Mewtwo took it and made it gigantic. o3o

Who is the best battler?
Alakazam used to be really beastly back in the old days, but the Physical/Special split really nerfed him. No more Elemental Punches, Physical Pursuit ( still one of my favourite games :p ), and later to top it all off him losing a unique trait as being a Trick abuser. Gardevoir was always a bit more defensive, and has a wide support and status movepool. I still think that Alakazam is more usable though, being a good Special Sweeper in UU.

The man with the 'stache wins this one baby doll.

Abra is a bitch to catch and raise, but after you evolve it into a Kadabra you only have to worry about Trading it to get an Alakazam. The Sp.Attack and Speed are great ingame, surpassing most Pokemon available. Ralts is pretty crappy to start off with too, but although it gets better, the extra power and speed Alakazam has is helpful. Defensive Pokemon are good and all, but ingame you want power, power, power.

Tough one. Alakazam with his 'stache and all looks very manly, but he could be a girl. Gardevoir on the other hand has a counterpart male, yet can still be a male if desired. So you could have a male Gardevoir and a female Alakazam. In actuallity I don't know.

'Stache man 'Kazam (I rhymed, yeh!)

There's always a spoon ghaskan.

For those wondering about the spoon question... (don't open if you want to keep the mystery, heh)

There_is_NO_spoon_by_samlow.jpg

by samlow

By its turn, this image is a reference to a somewhat known Matrix quote:
Do not try to bend the spoon — that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth: there is no spoon.

•Who is the best battler? Alakazam
Alakazam has the best Special attack and speed out of the two, however it lacks greatly in Defence and Special Defence. Gardevoir has slightly less Special Attack and Speed, but has slightly more defence and has a lot more special defence. Overall I will have to say Alakazam because Speed + Special Attack = Deadly combination

•Who has the dashing looks? Gardevoir
Defiently Gardevoir. She has a very elegant apperance and has a better coloration, in my opinion.

•Who is the most satisfactory early psychic type? Gardevoir
Ralts is the easiest to train early on because it starts to learn moves such as confusion while all abra can know is teleport. (Ralts learns confusion at level 6, it's first attack to do any damage.) That is not counting egg moves or TMs.

•Who represents better the sex they seem to symbolize? Gardevoir
While Alakazam does have a mustache, Gardevoir has what seems to be a dress on and it's hair looks like that of a female.

•Who is the best, overall?
It's a really hard desicion. I am going to have to go with both, these are two of my favorite pokemon.

Who is the better battler?: Alakazam, 'cause it has high special attack and I don't like Gardevoir
Who has better looks?: Alakazam, 'cause he has a cool-looking mustache.
Who is the most satisfactory early psychic type?: Gardeivoir, 'cause Ralts evolves into GALLADE
Who represents better the sex they seem to symbolize?: Gardevoir, 'cause it was on my friend's list of 'Pokemon with messed-up gender-ratios'. And most Gardevoirs are female.
Who is the best?: Alakazam, 'cause I WILL ALWAYS HATE GARDEVOIR

Who is the best battler? Both have extremely versatile movesets and their own pros and cons. TIE.
Who has the dashing looks? Gardevoir. Especially her looks in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red and Blue. Elegant yet serious. Alakazam is...an anthro fox. Gardevoir.
Who is the most satisfactory early psychic type? Gardevoir doesn't need to be traded to complete her evolutionary line. Gardevoir.
Who represents better the sex they seem to symbolize? Gardevoir is obviously very feminine in appearance. Alakazam's looks aren't too masculine except for its mustache. Gardevoir.
Who is the best, overall? Gardevoir wins.

BONUS QUESTION: Is there a spoon? Spoon? What spoon? ;)

Who is the best battler? - Dunno, probably tied.
Who has the dashing looks? - Gardevoir, duh.
Who is the most satisfactory early psychic type? - Gardevoir. Easier to get, easier to raise, no trading required.
Who represents better the sex they seem to symbolize? - Gardevoir represents a yamata nadeshiko (sp?) style better then Alakazam's ... German doctor?
Who is the best, overall? - Gardevoir.

BONUS QUESTION: Is there a spoon? - Gardevoir doesn't need cooking utensils. They have a knife inbuilt in their chest~!

Alakazam is ugly. Gardevoir is very pretty, and hawt
Alakazam is not ugly. You're ugly.

065.png

Battle stance. The look on his face says he means business. What a mo, Merv Hughes would be proud of that.

282.png

Feminine appearance. It's arms are flat. lol green emo fringe. Does it have legs or does it just float there? Who knows. Imagine fighting one of these things. I know who I'd rather fight IRL.

Who is the best battler?
Alakazam because it can outsmart Gardevoir.

Alakazam because it's 'stache is a chick magnet.

Alakazam, because it's great at battling.

The 'stache is manly.

Alakazam.

Alakazam because it is much better in battle and also it has a badass mustache.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom