• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

All Ash's reserved and released Pokémon overlooked?

thomaswiencek

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
'Sup, guys. I'm just wanting to know which kinds of Ash's reserved and released Pokémon, other than his Alolan party shown in the only one Journeys episode thus far, you think that the Japanese studio has overlooked. Why? Please let me know thanks. :)

None is overlooked.

If a Pokémon is gone, its story ends there. In the writer's aspect, there is no reason to bring a Pokémon back if its story ended already. The only purpose could be fan-service, but plot-wise it could not contrubite much to the story. Examples are when Ash visited Kanto in SM series, and some Pokémon had cameos but what did they actually do other than appearing on screen? Same with the Lapras episode in the Johto journey. I love XY/XY&Z series but I am not fixated on seeing Greninja again since it had its time, and now this is time to just move on and the new Pokémon to have their moments.
While what you said makes sense to an extent, I'll just remind you how DP's League turned out. Sure, there was no personal development possible for the older Pokemon, but them being brought back there made sense. It was one of Ash's best Leagues and he pulled out most of his old/big guns, gave his team a lot of variety.

If we're going to see more of the PWC, we can't bank it alone on his current series team. For the World Championships/Coronation, which is an entirely different level of competition than anything in the past, he needs to use his World team. Otherwise, not only will it feel centralized and redundant, but in a narrative sense will also not make sense. What's stopping people from looking up Ash's team (we know that they can look up profiles as shown with Korrina) and easily countering his current team every time?

Muk didn’t have a story. He is just a gag mon (same for Tauros).

As for reserves, they pretty much treat each series since BW as a standalone. This hurts when it comes to reserves since continuity between series isn’t as important as it was from the OS-DP.

Also, animation isn’t cheap and that may play a role in why only Charizard has returned and battle over the last 10 years.

Muk didn’t have a story. He is just a gag mon (same for Tauros).

As for reserves, they pretty much treat each series since BW as a standalone. This hurts when it comes to reserves since continuity between series isn’t as important as it was from the OS-DP.

Also, animation isn’t cheap and that may play a role in why only Charizard has returned and battle over the last 10 years.

tbh, Glalie has the least amount of animation cost imo, since its just a floating head.

While what you said makes sense to an extent, I'll just remind you how DP's League turned out. Sure, there was no personal development possible for the older Pokemon, but them being brought back there made sense.
Although oddly enough beating Darkrai was probably the peak of Sceptile's career.

Otherwise, not only will it feel centralized and redundant, but in a narrative sense will also not make sense.
I've said before that the current situation makes Ash look inconsistent since he loves his Pokémon but we stop seeing him interact with or mention them after an arbitrary (in universe) point and isn't willing to let older teams a shot at getting a major win like his Kanto and now Alolan teams were allowed. So much for helping them reach their full potential. :p
(I didn't think about it at the time but if his Alola team are the only ones that reappear it would be easy to read the unintended implication that only league winners are worthy of his continued attention...).

That could effect big crowd shots that include everyone like we sometimes got in ranch episodes, but is drawing Staraptor in a scene actually more expensive than doing it with Dragonite? I know the high expense of CGI models in the 90s led to the old Beast Wars series being a bloodbath, but I wouldn't think a large rotating cast would cause the same issues for a modern animated series, especially when they did it just fine in AG and DP.

Last edited:
They reuse a lot of battle footage, so yes, there's a point to be made about only having to do it for a certain number of Pokemon. But if Ash used 16 Pokemon in OS (12 in the Johto League), 13 in AG, 13 in DP and 10 in Unova, then OLM can probably a larger roster (although animation certainly isn't cheaper these days).

At the moment I'm only expecting the Kanto starters because they're the only ones frequently featured in anime art (the key visual places them in Pallet) and merchandise (although Snorlax also stands out). That's pretty odd when only (Leon's) Charizard has appeared for more than a minute.

Last edited:
Two problems:
One - all three are fully evolved.
Two - Ash does not have Primeape anymore. He practically released it.
Ohh yea, i meant severely underused! lol Kingler has appeared in 17, Muk has appeared in 20, Tauros has appeared in 14, Snorlax has appeared in 17, and Heracross has appeared in 26. Most of his other Pokémon get roughly even screentime, but these five seem to get neglected more than the others. What do you think Greninjaman?

Ohh yea, i meant severely underused! lol Kingler has appeared in 17, Muk has appeared in 20, Tauros has appeared in 14, Snorlax has appeared in 17, and Heracross has appeared in 26. Most of his other Pokémon get roughly even screentime, but these five seem to get neglected more than the others. What do you think Greninjaman?
I also think we should throw Palpitoad in there since it only appeared in nine episodes.

I also think we should throw Palpitoad in there since it only appeared in nine episodes.
Yesss!! Snivy really also stuck out to me. Palpitoad and Boldore also stand out as Pokémon that really don't seem to have been used much by Ash.

Well seeing as Ash had like nine Pokemon in Unova, that was part of the problem there.
Most of his Unova team, right? At least Oshawott had a big personality and Tepig got to evolve, but Snivy basically didn't get to see much use.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom