• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

All-Generation Movepool Pages

Xelrog

Reaction score
You know how the Bulbapedia page for a move (eg Tackle) has a neat, tidy little table that lists all the pokemon that can learn the move, and in which generation?

It would be astronomically helpful to see that for the pokemon themselves. That is, a list of all moves they can learn and in which generations. There are countless cases where a move is only available in a particular generation, including cases where a move is available in a past gen but not the current one. You can only get a really good idea of a pokemon's complete potential moveset with such a table.

Of course, this would be a fairly big undertaking. I would be happy to start it myself, with permission. Such a table would manifest as a new page for each pokemon, with a small link in the Learnset section reading "see all generations," or something along those lines. It would require a new template for this type of table, modified from the existing tables on the move pages.

The learnset table should have links to previous generations. The learnsets on the Pokemon pages themselves should only have the moveset from the most recent generation, not mixed in with other generations.

So you don't agree that it would be useful having all legal moves in one place instead of having to manually sift through each generation page, then?

I mean, we could have the same system for move pages--separate pages for which pokemon can learn the move by generation. We don't, though, because it's a lot more convenient to have it in one table. Especially now that RBY and GSC are on VC and transferrable to Bank, being able to quickly see a pokemon's ENTIRE potential movepool would be extremely convenient. Say I wanted a Skarmory knowing Counter, I would be able to quickly see that I can only get that from Gen III.

Because the info on the individual Pokemon pages should have the most recent generation's moveset because users are most likely going to look for them. And having it mixed with other generation movesets will confused readers. Long story short, it's more practical and less confusing for readers to have one generation (the most recent) of moveset rather than lumping all into one.

But you can get all the previous generation's moves in the current one. You can get a Skarmory with Counter in Gen VII, but only by transferring it up from Gen III. That's important information to know. Besides, I was suggesting there being a LINK to such a table, not putting the table right on the pokemon's main page... much less replacing the current-gen moveset. That would most certainly be stupid.

And no one (to my knowledge) finds the tables on move pages that list the pokemon that can learn them by generation confusing, so the argument that they would be confused by a similar table for pokemon is kind of moot.

There are links to previous generation movesets, on the top right corner of the template that says "In other generations". And the movesets are only for legitimate moves that the Pokemon can learn in a certain game, not moves that a Pokemon can get by transferring from another game.

The move pages are an entirely different matter, the template on those pages aren't confusing if you put all in one, whereas the moveset template would be confusing if you were to put all information in one.

You seem to think I don't know the other gen movepool pages don't exist. I do know they exist. It's a pain to sift through all of them manually instead of being able to see every potential move a species could have in the current gen in one place. When I'm deciding on a pokemon's movepool, I want to know if I can have a Skarmory knowing Counter and, if I can, which gen or gens I can get that Skarmory from. Understand?

I don't understand why you think such a table would be confusing. All it would list is the moves on the rows and Gens 1-7 on the columns, with a check or a blank box for if that move is obtainable in that gen. Couldn't be simpler. It makes building a movepool so much faster and easier, all the moreso if you could then click the Gen headers at the top of the table to go to the movepool for that gen to see how specifically you can obtain the move (Level, TM, tutor, etc.). Would a mock-up image help?

If you can't get a Skarmory with Counter in Gen VII... then you can't get a Skarmory with Counter in Gen VII. If you really want to know, you have two options: look through the generation movesets or the more easier option of going to the Counter page. The movesets on the individual Pokemon pages should only have the most recent Generation movesets and legitimate moves. Transferring is not a legitimate way to make a Pokemon learn a move, since the Pokemon you are transferring did not come from a Gen VII game.

If you can't get a Skarmory with Counter in Gen VII... then you can't get a Skarmory with Counter in Gen VII. Transferring is not a legitimate way to make a Pokemon learn a move, since the Pokemon you are transferring did not come from a Gen VII game.
But you can still GET that pokemon into Gen VII, take it into the Battle Tree, take it into competitive, use it in your party... etc. You can do anything you want to with that pokemon, including fill out the rest of its moves with Gen VII TM's or what have you. What you're saying makes no sense. If you couldn't transfer pokemon up, then yes, this would be a pointless feature, but you can. You can have a Skarmory in Gen VII who knows Counter because the transfer feature exists. It is not impossible to obtain, and it's important information to know that you can get that pokemon in your Gen VII team by means of transfer.

It's WAY more relevant than the "Event exclusive" move category that already exists, which lists moves that are exclusive to events that have already happened and are thus not obtainable in any way now.

IMO the closest thing that might be okay would be if we had a list of moves that could ONLY be gotten from a previous generation (and maybe it'd just list the latest generation when that move was available; you could check the move's page to see if it was also available at any point before, if you wanted).
That would also be acceptable. The important thing is that these moves are visible in one place. You're right in that instead of a separate page, it might be easier to add another move category: "from a previous generation." Probably before the Event-exclusive category of moves, but after TM's and Egg Moves.

It'd be good to know if, say, I wanted a Reflect Charizard on my Battle Tree team.

Joined specifically to say this would be *extremely* useful to know what are legal moves in the most recent generation transferred from past generations. Now that nearly every past pokemon game can transfer into gen VII this is more important than ever before. I have been looking for exactly something like this as going to different move pages is extremely painstaking and annoying to determine the full possibilities of moves for applicable pokemon.

I can't say I've been in a position where I needed this feature, not having used cross-generational transfer features since Gen V, but even I'm beginning to wonder why this isn't a thing. I can't be the only person with a perverse interest in the likes of Reflect Blissey and Sylveon, right?

I mean, we've already got a table for moves only available through previous evolutions; how is that different from moves only available through previous generations? They're both inaccessible in Gen VII without these methods. Raichu can't have Electro Ball by itself nor can it have Submission, but we only draw attention to Electro Ball? I'd even argue that it applies with egg moves to an extent, Raichu can't get Electric Terrain otherwise.

With the first two generations being revived via VC and thus restoring many lost tools to a Pokémon's possible movepools, I think it's high time for the pedia to make it more visible.

Last edited:
yeah this'll make things more convenient, having all generations in one page instead of going back and forth between the pages. solid layout idea too, and instead of checkmarks for some scenarios (like move-tutor exclusive, breeding) one could have a different symbol to represent that. genuinely good suggestion.

Emperor Norton I declared himself emperor of the united states, and later the protector of mexico.

Since we already have separate pages for each generation's movepools, I don't see why an additional page comparing the movesets for each generation couldn't also be added. It would certainly be handy for those looking for a complete list of all moves available to a Pokemon from all possible sources. If this idea gets the okay, I'd be happy to lend a hand. =3

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom