• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

All right, looks like we got a pretty big compatibility problem with albums.

Reaction score
Certain pictures in albums that were posted no longer show up. The pictures are still there, but for some reason that I can only believe to be caused by massive amounts of brain damage, the board doesn't consider the old links valid. What seems to have happened was the URL linking system changed. Problem is, they didn't bother to consider backwards compatibility with the old style of links, so the images just screw up.

Here's an example of what I mean. The old URLs were something like http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/members/system-error/albums/ms-paint-pokemon-212-271/51986-252treecko.PNG, now they're all something like http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/members/12918/albums/3600/51986.PNG for whatever reason.

The old old style from the glorious vB3 days still work (which have a similar URL setup to the current). However, any images posted between the vB4 upgrade and sometime recently do not work anymore. So yeah, whatever deity/deities/scientific theory you chose to believe in only knows how much has been mangled as a result of this.

Okay, long story short....

The old vB3 style works, because it's a backend system link, the kind that vB4 sets for itself normally. The URL's we see normally now are those which are put in place by our vBSEO modification (which, if the name isn't self-explanatory, is for Search Engine Optimisation. ie. To make sure Google, etc, fully read our forums, index them properly, and improve our rank in their searches)

I made a change to the URL format within the last couple of days, which has resulted in the issue you're noting. This change was made to resolve issues with had with numerous users and images, where particular characters (especially é) in usernames, filenames and titles of pictures were causing problems when being rendered into URL's. There really wasn't anything we could do to avoid it. All images posted from now on with the current URL's should work perfectly. I'll go and run a script rebuild the albums later tonight, and that should make them appear properly if they're not currently showing up in albums.

Ah, I see. I kind of figured it had something to do with that due to the optimization text suddenly being absent. While on one hand, I should be surprised they didn't consider non-standard characters considering foreign languages that use them, on the other, I'm somehow not. :/ Sort of reminds me of that wiki problem from way back when, only it doesn't kill the server in a fit of rage.

But thanks for clearing it up. Was getting very confused when I looked at old stuff and wondering where the images went to. X_X

They do consider non-standard characters, actually. Problem is that
a) There's dozens of ways to write é, and it must not be covering every way that our users have done
b) Surprisingly, it doesn't seem to cover $ or the pound, euro or yen signs.
c) In fact, it generally has problems with characters that aren't letters, numbers, or punctuation. So things like those Lucky Star style stars are problematic

But yeah, it's a lot easier for us to set these URL's to something more basic, than to try and enforce the use of specific characters.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom