• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola League Hopes

My predictions...

-There will be at least 1 joke battle like Bellsprout vs Pikachu in Kanto.
-Kiawe will be eliminated before the 6vs6 matches begin.
-Ash will use at least 3 Z-moves.
-Ash will battle Gladion for sure. The result will depend on which are the other participants. Gladion will use Lucario because the poor guy hasn't appeared in this series.
-If Ilima participates, he will battle Ash and we will see Pikachu vs Eevee. The result will depend on which are the other participants.
-I think there's a 50/50 chance we see Ash using reserves or just his Alola team. If it's the later, the league's execution will be similar to Kanto and Unova, if it's the former it will be similar to the other leagues.
-If Ash uses reserves, Bulbasaur will almost certainly be used (LGPE promotion, the kids know him from SM042, has a different moveset from Rowlet, didn't participate in Sinnoh...). Water types have good chances too, specially Corphish (appears in USUM Pokedex), Totodile (kids know him from M21) and Kingler (Kanto promotion).
-Acerola, Mina and Molayne could participate.
-Kukui participating and eliminating Ash would be the LAMEST thing this series could do. My anger would be infinite. It's the opposite of what a teacher should do. I'd prefer it if Ash wins the league but loses to Kukui in some kind of prize battle.

I hope Ash does worse than he did in Kalos. I thought it was important that Unova showed regression from Sinnoh, because Ash just didn't work/train as hard or have as many serious battles as he did in Sinnoh. The lack of training/serious battles in Alola is at an all time high, so it would be disappointing to see Ash do extremely well. He should at the very least not beat Gladion, who actually travels and trains hard. The placing doesn't necessarily matter, since this league's overall competition level is pretty likely going to be a lot lower than leagues such as Kalos or Sinnoh, but it would be pretty annoying if Ash won this one, considering how much more effort he put in with regions he didn't win in.

Also we better get to see at least one full battle. It's sad how few Pokemon rivals and main characters have, and I would be quite upset if Kiawe really enters with only 2 (3?) Pokemon. Cameron not understanding what full means was bad enough, but not even being capable of catching 6 is a whole lot worse in my opinion. I would be even more upset if Kiawe borrowed someone else's Pokemon to get up to 6, because then he would not even be using Pokemon he trained.

Like others, I would love to see old Pokemon return, but I don't have my hopes up at all. I thought it was almost a sure thing for Kalos, and it didn't happen, so I honestly expect Ash to have a last minute catch, or even worse, at the last minute before (or even during) his full battle Ash realizes he only has five and Rotom has to battle. Anyway, if somehow they do return, Infernape really needs to be one of them, and I would love to see a Swellow redemption, since I think Swellow is Ash's more underrated Pokemon. The (at the last minute) character I want to appear most is Kahili, so maybe Ash could use only flying types against her, that would be really neat. (And on that note, i think its about time Ash loses to a girl anyway, so why not Kahili).

My biggest hope is that the battles are serious, and they don't make a joke of the whole thing. It would also be nice to use some time on this league, since it seems like we have a lot of time before Gen 8. Let's not have a repeat of Ash's 15 second battle with Astrid if we can avoid it.

I expect Ash to lose to Kukui or a League-only OC.
If he uses his reserves, I expect only Kanto Pokémon to be used.
Ash won't use a Naganadel at the League.

Potential trainers that I could see participate in the Alola League:
Ash (Duh)
Kiawe
Lillie
Gladion
Ilima
Acerola
Hapu
Molayne
Kukui
Some background characters from the school
The writers had thoughts about bringing back other old characters similar to Brock and Misty, so Gen 5 or 6 rivals??

I have mixed feelings on Ash using his older Pokemon. It would make sense given his Alola team is still incomplete and underdeveloped in terms of battling, but I'd kind of prefer for Ash to rely more on his current team, if only because the Alola League will be the last time they can get any noteworthy screentime and battles for a long time. That being said, I definitely wouldn't be surprised if they just have Ash use his Kanto Pokemon if he does use his reserve Pokemon for the Alola League. It would tie in with how the games emphasize a connection between the Kanto and Alola regions. Plus, it would be an easy and quick way to incorporate some Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee promotion at the same time.

I'm not sure how the Alola League would be structured either or what kind of requirements they'd need for trainers to enter. They can't really say that completing the Island Challenge is the only way to enter it since that would prevent any of Ash's friends from entering it too. Granted, I can only see Kiawe entering the Alola League. He's the most battle active character in the cast next to Ash, so I'm sure that they'll have him around for at least the first couple of rounds. I can't see any of Ash's other friends participating in the Alola League or lasting longer than one round if they do, especially when most of them only have one Pokemon. Gladion and Ilima are definitely going to be in there though.

I don't know how far I can see Ash going in the Alola League. While I don't think Ash's skills have regressed, his team does feel a bit lackluster. Lycanroc and Torracat have a good amount of battle experience and decent bits of training, but Rowlet has primarily been just sleeping. I know that's the joke, but it's really annoying when a serious problem like that isn't really addressed. It's honestly gotten to the point where I wonder why they even bothered to give it to Ash when it rarely does anything besides sleeping. He does have Poipople, but it will probably be gone by the time the Alola League starters. Either way, he still needs at least one or two more captures to even have a complete team. Considering that SM has about a year left, that's not a good sign, especially when most late series captures aren't handled particularly well. They might have the Alola League structured differently due to being the first time the Alola region has a League and because none of the main/supporting characters have full teams either. I don't know how far Ash can go to get a good believable rank, but I do like the idea of Ash defeating Professor Kukui as the Masked Royal and learning his secret afterwards. That could be a pretty good match and an interesting bit of development.

Ash doesn’t have a water type this time, and they need to promote LGPE so I think Squirtle might return. Charizard is pretty iconic so it has decent chances of returning and then they’ll include Bulbasaur just to complete the trio.

Really hoping we get proper battles

We only saw part of Ash's first match in Kalos (top 64)
The end of the quarter final match (top 8)
The semi and final matches were good but I want more, maybe give us 10 or more episodes

Or maybe a new Tobias-like character with a Mew, a z-ring, and no backstory. But seriously, the writers wouldn't do that to Ash again, would they? :cautious: Nevermind. Forget I asked...

Or maybe a new Tobias-like character with a Mew, a z-ring, and no backstory. But seriously, the writers wouldn't do that to Ash again, would they? :cautious: Nevermind. Forget I asked...

Oh, the character also has the USUM-version Rotom Dex with Roto Loto so he can pull off a Seven Star Soul Stealing Strike just after Genesis Supernova

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom