• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola Pokémon League Discussion

Do people really want a League though? What happened to "boring repetition" and demand for change?

The League is a self-contained series of five consecutive battles which don't generally take more than 30-45 minutes to complete, if that. As opposed to Gyms, which until now, were the primary thrust of progression through the main body of the games. That gets boring when repeated over and over with little variation but so much prominence. But now we have the more dynamic Trial system to carry us through the main body, and then the traditional League as a simple, singular pocket of gameplay for a post-game activity.

My theory about the League:

We put together the League ourselves and can then share it online for other players to battle. We'll choose an Elite 4 from the strong trainers we recruit in the Battle Tree (which will have set teams) and we'll be the Champion ourselves and will be able to set a team for that (so sort of like the Secret Bases, only setting a team should be easier). Everyone can share their League online and we'll be able to challenge other people's Leagues. There would be endless Leagues to battle for us :D

This theory isn't just coming out of nowhere, it's based on:
1)
The Chinese Leak saying that we will build the league ourselves, and so far they've been right about almost everything
2. The fact that you can recruit strong trainers in the Battle Tree. I know this means you can battle together with them, but it just feels like there's more to it, probably because of the word 'recruit'.
3. The Secret Bases in ORAS in which we could be our own gym leader for others to battle. It seems like an idea GF would want to continue.

My theory about the League:

We put together the League ourselves and can then share it online for other players to battle. We'll choose an Elite 4 from the strong trainers we recruit in the Battle Tree (which will have set teams) and we'll be the Champion ourselves and will be able to set a team for that (so sort of like the Secret Bases, only setting a team should be easier). Everyone can share their League online and we'll be able to challenge other people's Leagues. There would be endless Leagues to battle for us :D

This theory isn't just coming out of nowhere, it's based on:
1)
The Chinese Leak saying that we will build the league ourselves, and so far they've been right about almost everything
2. The fact that you can recruit strong trainers in the Battle Tree. I know this means you can battle together with them, but it just feels like there's more to it, probably because of the word 'recruit'.
3. The Secret Bases in ORAS in which we could be our own gym leader for others to battle. It seems like an idea GF would want to continue.
I don't know how likely this would be, but I like the idea. If this does turn out to be true, it really makes me hope that we don't have to suffer through Hax Maison type battles to meet them. To this day I have never gotten the mythical rematch with Wally for a 100-win (I think) streak.

Remember that empty lot in Hau'oli City? Clearly it's meant for construction, but for what? It could be for a potential gym. There are other lots scattered throughout the region which is strange, but it may play into this whole post-game league thing in addition to the construction of the Pokemon League.

To this day I have never gotten the mythical rematch with Wally for a 100-win (I think) streak.
In Oras? I think that's unlocked by completing your first Super Battle in any mode (which earns you a trophy after beating the respective Chatelaine), which requires 20 in the regular Mode to unlock the Super, then 50 in that mode.

Keeping on the discussion at hand, I like the idea of custom Leagues to share with people. Almost like an expansion to the Secret Bases from Oras! Hopefully your grunts aren't predetermined by their trainer type...

Remember that empty lot in Hau'oli City? Clearly it's meant for construction, but for what? It could be for a potential gym. There are other lots scattered throughout the region which is strange, but it may play into this whole post-game league thing in addition to the construction of the Pokemon League.
Interesting find. Hopefully this means that we'll all finally be able to create that elusive dark type gym we've been craving all these years.

I'm glad there isn't many people here thinking this is just a "tease" and there won't be a league in the game. If they are showing this in marketing before release and saying this on the site: "After the growth you achieve through completing the island challenge, will the day come when you also take on the Pokémon League to become the strongest Pokémon Trainer?" a league will definitely be established for us to battle before the game is over.

While I'm not fussed either way for a league, one being built is interesting and different than it just sitting there until we're ready for it. Though given it's on top of the mountain and it appears to be closed off before it's ready I am now worried that Ice-types are once again being locked until extremely late in the game...

And it being on the mountain makes me wonder what this is even more
pDytWP3.png

No. I think we won't put a league together. I think it is already completed when we go into post game.

I'm glad there isn't many people here thinking this is just a "tease" and there won't be a league in the game. If they are showing this in marketing before release and saying this on the site: "After the growth you achieve through completing the island challenge, will the day come when you also take on the Pokémon League to become the strongest Pokémon Trainer?" a league will definitely be established for us to battle before the game is over.

While I'm not fussed either way for a league, one being built is interesting and different than it just sitting there until we're ready for it. Though given it's on top of the mountain and it appears to be closed off before it's ready I am now worried that Ice-types are once again being locked until extremely late in the game...

And it being on the mountain makes me wonder what this is even more
pDytWP3.png
That's a really good question because even in the in-game map the mountain looks to be solid ice. Maybe the league is being built somewhere really secluded, perhaps behind all the ice? And that is just the league gate, but really fancy, or the Victory Road is some sort of sacred training ground for the Kahuna's, and its all part of the plot? I wouldn't put it past them to....
Have the Victory Road and Pokemon League be the location of the Sun/Moon flute, and have the league accessible only after the Tapu 4 are fought and grant you access to the Victory Road. Of course that might be too specific for what amounts to a place to become the region's best trainer.

Gamexplain did a video on which they have an amazing theory I'm totally on board with.

Basically there are a few sites across the islands where the construction workers could easily build gyms. After those gym challenges, you get to battle the Elite Four.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom