• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola Variant Pokemon: Thoughts and Predictions

Favourite Alolan form so far?

• Total voters

Garren

Onduru ruragittan disukaa
Reaction score
So, today it was confirmed that classic Pokemon (so far Kanto Pokemon only) will have unique variants in the Alola Region.

We've had five confirmed so far---Exeggutor will become Grass/Dragon, Vulpix and Ninetales will become Ice and Ice/Fairy respectively, and Sandshrew and Sandslash are Ice/Steel. In addition the official site also mentions that the Fire-type Island Captain Kiawe has a Marowak, possibly hinting at a Fire-type Marowak, but this isn't confirmed. We know that these new variants will have their own attacks and Abilities, but beyond that we don't know what this means for stats and PokeDex #.

In addition we had a leak before this mentioning this mechanic more or less and listing the following Pokemon----
Butterfree (Bug/Psychic), Rattata line (Dark), Nidoqueen/Nidoking (Poison/Fighting), Ninetails (Fire/Fairy), Growlithe line (Water), Abra line (Fighting), Duduo line (Fighting/Flying)
. Note that none of the Pokemon we saw were mentioned here, nor was Ninetales correct. However they did get the fact there was a bird that changed based on the island it was found on, so who knows?

From the video we see a regular Exeggute evolving into the new Exeggutor, so it seems Pokemon with a variant evolution will automatically evolve into that upon evolving in Alola, but we don't know if Exeggutor caught in Sun and Moon have a unique flag. I'm guessing the point of the RBY connectivity is to get around this, those Pokemon taking on their classic appearances.

Last edited:
Alolan Exeggutor is so crazy. I love it.

Vulpix/Ninetales look really beautiful. And I'm happy to see Sandslash getting something interesting! I've always loved Sandslash.

I am cautious about the ones mentioned in the leak, however. They did get Ninetales wrong, for whatever reason, so I'm not about to go all-in and accept it to the letter.

Edit: Put leak discussion in spoiler wraps

Last edited:
*would suggest putting leak mention in spoiler tags*

And I honestly can't predict, but I love the ones shown so far! Ninetales is beautiful and Exeggutor is hilarious!

I'd like to say so far the Variants we've seen seem pretty smart and not too out there---all of them seem like a natural fit, like an ice fox and a true palm tree, and I love how Ice Sandshrew instead of turning into a ball morphs into an igloo and spins around like a curling puck.

It is interesting, and I'm curious what other mons get it. It's not Mega evolution, but it might add in some more use for them. I suspect, based on Vulpix and Sandshrew's typing, they may be using this to fill the game with new Pokemon without making a hundred of them, much like Mega Evolutions did

So with the new trailer just released, it turns out new forms of old Pokémon are a thing, with new Types, designs and abilities. With that in mind, what Pokémon would you like to see gain a new form in Alola? And what Type(s) would you like them to have?

As I mentioned in the leaks discussion thread, I'd like this to be the way we get our fabled Dragon-type Eeveelution, as an Alola form Sylveon!

Last edited:
I feel like it might just be a thing for Kanto Pokemon. But if not then I'd like a Psychic/Steel Xatu.

Kiawe is a Fire expert but has a Marowak according to the official site. So I could see Ground/Fire (or pure Fire) Marowak happening. Flaming boomerangs!
Ghost/Fire Marowak, its the return of the original Ghost Pokemon!

Okay, if we get no megas this gen, fine. But please give us a bug/dragon Flygon that's based on the wyrm. Pretty please?

Like others have said, I hope it isn't limited to only Kanto Pokemon and doesn't take away from Mega Evolution. I don't think it entirely possible to limit it really, I mean if they gave Pokemon like Slowpoke, Tangela, Chansey, and so on Alolan Forms, they would really have to extend that to their cross-generational relatives, won't they? Unless they avoid those Kanto Pokemon altogether which would feel like a really missed opportunity just to favor that one Generation. Another question it raises for me is that what happens in future generations with this mechanic - will Alolan Vulpix suddenly be able to be found outside of Alola, or will subsequent regions introduce their own variants? What about remakes, if a return to Sinnoh is on the cards this time around will we see a retcon addition of Sinnoh Forms?

Personally, I love the concept even if it is a once-off, but really hope it isn't. I've never been particularly fond of Exeggutor and never considered raising one until now. I love that it has added a freshness to old designs and reinvigorated me to go back and play with Pokemon I have never played with before. Plus it is a pretty cool way of being able to keep "old" Pokemon in new regions without it being the same old same old. X and Y would have benefited greatly from this features in my opinion.

On the subject of Exeggutor, I decided to look it up on Bulbapedia given my renewed interest in the Pokemon and found this in the trivia section:

300px-JPJungleBoosterbox.jpg

"The artwork for the Japanese Jungle (TCG) booster box depicts Exeggutor with an elongated body and no visible legs."

Probably totally irrelevant and inconsequential but I love when new designs almost feel like they are throwing back to something obscure from way back when in the franchise's history (like Munna did). I wonder if any of the other new Alolan Forms have similar references.

Speaking of which, I think Ice//Fairy suits Ninetales better and I love that Sandshrew is basically a walking igloo.

I can't even be made. Ice Vulpix is adorable and I want it. I want it now. I love it.

I would definitely be okay with a fire/ground Marowak, but can we finally get an electric/water pikachu so it can get STAB off of Surf?

I get the feeling it might be limited to Kanto Pokemon for this Gen and then a new regional variant set for Gen 2 Pokemon in Gen 8 and so-on. We'll just have to see.

It'd be crazy if we got really deep fan-reference beta Pokemon stuff like Dragon-type Blaziken based on Latiken or Psychic Meowth based on that weird panel from the Clefairy manga. Psychic Koffing based on that old error art with the giant forehead and flipped face. Or Ground-type Tirtooga based on that discarded G2 turtle design. Or Fighting-type Clefable based on proto-Hitmontop.

On the subject of Exeggutor, I decided to look it up on Bulbapedia given my renewed interest in the Pokemon and found this in the trivia section:

300px-JPJungleBoosterbox.jpg

"The artwork for the Japanese Jungle (TCG) booster box depicts Exeggutor with an elongated body and no visible legs."

Probably totally irrelevant and inconsequential but I love when new designs almost feel like they are throwing back to something obscure from way back when in the franchise's history (like Munna did). I wonder if any of the other new Alolan Forms have similar references.

Holy jeezer that's brilliant.

My theory is the mega versions are the Alola versions for example Alola sceptile is mega sceptile with the same typing and ability and stats ( but not all megas will have the same stats) Alola charizard will be mega charizard x/y depending on version

This way the designs at the very least aren't wasted and they can tweak the stats and abilities

I have always dreamed of this, but never realistically thought it would actually happen. So happy to see it become a reality! The sky is the limit with this new addition, we could theoretically see every Pokémon get a unique form for each new region going forward! (I'm not saying that should happen, just that it's entirely possible now :D)

This is the most exciting reveal since the original announcement trailer in my opinion. I hope they don't show too many more before release, I can't wait to be surprised by all the new forms when playing through the game!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom