• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola Variant Pokemon: Thoughts and Predictions

Favourite Alolan form so far?

• Total voters
Fire/Steal is a cool typing, but I think that it's likely, given that Alolan Marowak's supposed trainer is on a volcano, that we'll get the standard volcanic typing of Ground/Fire

Which honestly wouldn't be terrible if they just made Marowak fast to compensate.
its weak to regular Marowak thats a great plus, plus we din't had that fire/steel type combo since gen IV.
They could make that really. If fire/ground then it would need to be a fast Starter pokemon with good ability against water attacks.
But with these forms i hope that they dont forget to use good old fire typed Magmar. I miss that one and we will get a volcanos. (Pokemon who have 3 stages alredy rather could hope for megas, mega Magmar imagine a nice fast body)

what about that weird Bibarel rumour that there could be a normal/fire version of it??? do you think that more versions could be there?

I really think Alolan forms shouldn't be given to Pokemon that already have megas.
I understand that , some will get megas and maybe regular evolutions like in the past, but some like Onix could be an exception due to the animes "Crystal Onix" at orange islands in the past and fact that they evolved by the use of stones and objects not by leveling up like starters do.
Plus look at their abilities...

Onix total stats 385, Rock Head or Sturdy Weak Armor
Steelix total stats 510 Rock Head or Sturdy Sheer Force
Mega Steelix total stats 610. Sand Force

Slowbro: 490 Oblivious or Own Tempo , Regenerator
Mega Slowbro: 590 Shell Armor
Slowking: 490 Oblivious or Own Tempo , Regenerator

Rhydon : Total: 485 : Lightning Rod or Rock Head , Reckless
Rhyperior:Total: 535 : Lightning Rod or Solid Rock , Reckless

Remeber Blaines Rhydon problem in the anime with the steel horn?
It would be cool if their apperance would not change only the type.
They could solve that creating a Alolan Rhydon and Rhyperior thats half steel typed instead of ground.
It could have other stats and secondary abilities then regular Rhydon.
It would not colide with Aggron, they have diffrent stats and Agrron alredy has a mega form.
So the anime and games would make more sense together.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBJ2SFZxUB4

Last edited:
Assuming stat redistributions are a thing I think there's a solid chance a lot of Marowak's defense will go into Attack and/or Speed. Perhaps this distribution:

60/90/80/50/80/65

Tbh Marowak's stats are all pretty low outside of Defense so this may hinder it more than anything, but we'll just have to see what kind of moves and abilities it gets to see how viable a Fire typing makes it regardless of stats.

Maybe it gets that new Dancer ability that Oriocorio has? If it's based on some sort of fire-twirling/fire-dancing.

Maybe it gets that new Dancer ability that Oriocorio has? If it's based on some sort of fire-twirling/fire-dancing.
Rather I think it gets Volcaronas Fiery Dance move.

Crystal Onix is anime exclusive in my opinion and is likely to remain that way. Also Onix's evolution has a mega evolution which makes it more unlikely. Any pokemon that has no mega evolution can have a variant in my opinion.

Crystal Onix is anime exclusive in my opinion and is likely to remain that way. Also Onix's evolution has a mega evolution which makes it more unlikely. Any pokemon that has no mega evolution can have a variant in my opinion.
Vulpix evolves by fire stone, and now we have an Ice Vulpix evolving into an Ice/Fairy Ninetales. I'd think that their evolution method would change. I don't see why a Pokemon that had a Mega Evolution wouldn't get an Alolan form, and explain that the Mega Stone doesn't work for it because of changes in its DNA.

I had more ideas for Snorlax, Lotas, Riolu and Cubone
Pretty happy with them, than than Snorlax they basically have tribal influences

CpSWurQXEAAAhwP.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see why a Pokemon that had a Mega Evolution wouldn't get an Alolan form, and explain that the Mega Stone doesn't work for it because of changes in its DNA.
Either that, or any Alola Form of an evolutionary line with a Mega Evolution would gain a different Mega using the same Mega Stone.

I am really liking the idea of Alolan forms, because it makes the Pokemon world seem so real. In the real world, animals adapt different ways to the climates there in. It's an interesting new mechanic and while I don't want these Pokemon to make up a lot of the game's Pokemon, I definitly want to see some more. Here are some ones I want to see (keep in mind, I am only putting gen 1 because I think that's all Game Freak will do)

Chansey - This one I can't really explain for climate change wise, but I really want an Alolan Chansey. I got thinking about it when watching a little bit of the anime and I remembered that Chansey was the original partner to Nurse Joy, wouldn't it be cool to bring him back, but in a new form? Also with this new form, and Alola's close connection to Pokemon, it would be cool to see certain Pokemon Centers with an Alolan Chansey in the game. It can be all of them, or just a few. I don't think we've seen a Chansey standing by Nurse Joy since Pokemon Yellow. While it's small, it would be a nice thing to add.

Dewgong - This one would actually work really well, and her pre-evo doesn't need an Alolan form either. It is known that Kanto is known to be based on real life Japan, and from what I read, the sea around Japan is cold. It makes sense now why Dewgong had ice typing added when it evolved, so it could live better. Well the waters in real life Hawaii are warmer, and Alola is based off of Hawaii, so it would make sense if Dewgong lost its ice typing, because it wouldn't need to keep it for that typing. What it would add in it's place? I'm not sure, but i think a water/pyschic type would be cool. I don't how it would change appeearence wise. Maybe make it's horn longer and make the things bigger and wavier.

Also if they were to ad more generations then just the first, add dark type to Luxray's typing, nuff said.

I haven't seen this posted anywhere as yet, but I think it would be pretty cool to see an Alolan Lapras with a Water/Grass typing. Basically going off the idea of a Lapras adapting to a warmer environment and growing some foliage on its back. This idea is sort of taken already by Torterra, but I figured that this would different enough in that it harkened to the idea of a large living island.

Another rather far fetched idea I had was an Alolan Grimer/Muk line that would be pure water type. Similar to a jelly or flan from various RPGs. The logic here being that either Grimer and Muk came to the islands and were purified of their poisonous exteriors revealing a body made of water beneath. Or perhaps that they always existed in Alola in this form and became polluted in most other regions leaving them in their current poisonous state.

I'm gonna bet on Shellder/Cloyster and Clamperl line to get Alola versions and it's going to something related to pearl hunting.

This is towards everyone, but since there are now Alola forms... As I brought up a while back, shouldn't we now be using the term "cross-generation forms"? We just had Unown, Pichu, Arceus, Pikachu, and Zygarde before the introduction of regional variants, now Vulpix line, Sandshrew line, and Exeggutor are on that list with many more to come.

In that case, there should also be a page listing all these. I'm not sure where to bring this up though.

I'm gonna bet on Shellder/Cloyster and Clamperl line to get Alola versions and it's going to something related to pearl hunting.

It'd be nice if Shellder got Alola forms that share the same design as the Shellder on Slowbro's tail or Slowking's head.

This is towards everyone, but since there are now Alola forms... As I brought up a while back, shouldn't we now be using the term "cross-generation forms"? We just had Unown, Pichu, Arceus, Pikachu, and Zygarde before the introduction of regional variants, now Vulpix line, Sandshrew line, and Exeggutor are on that list with many more to come.

If you are lumping them in with those others in the sense of saying, "Perhaps they might add some new cross-generation forms this time, like they did with Unown !/?, Fairy Arceus, and the Alola Forms" then yes, "cross-generation forms" would be an appropriate catch-all term.

When referring specifically to Pokémon that developed differently due to integration into region-specific microclimates or other such features, however, it would be more appropriate to use the term "Alola Form" or "regional variants" (for examples that are not exclusively from Alola) or something along those lines.

Or Alolan Scyther evolving into Alolan Scizor with Razor Claw instead of Metal Coat (retaining Bug/Flying type). Rather reshuffling stats to become slow and defensive, its BST increases to be a bit lower than Mega Scizor (580 BST?), but focuses on offense and speed, whilst giving it a new ability that mitigates its stealth rock weakness. The Alolan Scizor could have an ability that lets it "dodge" entry hazards, reflecting its newfound speed.
You have no idea how desperately I want this to happen now.

Ooh hold up, random thought here. Fossil Pokemon.

There could be Alolan fossil Pokemon, perhaps regional variants that have lived on the island and simply never went extinct due to their seclusion or because of the way they evolved on the archipelago.

Not entirely sure what their types would be, but I think that would be a pretty amazing way to create a backstory for an Alola variant.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like this is really Gen 1 only. Oh well. At least GF is consistent with their Gen 1 pandering. I'm not really surprised, just disappointed.

I still have hope that we'll see some non Kanto mons with Alola forms. It's just that the Kanto ones will most likely get the most forms, cause you know, 20th anniversary and all.

Back
Top Bottom