• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola Variant Pokemon: Thoughts and Predictions

Favourite Alolan form so far?

• Total voters
I know but I was wondering how come it kept its Normal type while Meow didn't.

My guess is that they're still a common rodent, while Meowth are a royal breed which is of too high a status to be considered "normal." But who really knows with these things. Maybe there is no "story" reason behind it, and they just wanted one to have a 4x weakness to Fighting-types but not the other, in order to diversify the options.

I was wondering how come it kept its Normal type while Meow didn't.

My guess is that they're still a common rodent, while Meowth are a royal breed which is of too high a status to be considered "normal." But who really knows with these things. Maybe there is no "story" reason behind it, and they just wanted one to have a 4x weakness to Fighting-types but not the other, in order to diversify the options.
I pretty much think that this is the case, if mostly because people asked the same thing about Clefairy and Jigglypuff a Generation before. One's a Normal/Fairy and the other got converted to pure Fairy. Since they'll be present in the same game (and are from the same region), a bit of diversity does help in that regard.

a psyhic rodent counterpart would make sense or not?
or raticate will also be part normal or something else?

Most of the Alola forms have more weaknesses than the original forms of the pokemon. Exeggutor is the exception as the Alola form has one less weakness than the original form. Not to mention that a lot of the Alola forms have 4x weaknesses.

They should really give more Alola forms that have less weaknesses than the original, no 4x times weakness and a non-gen 1 Alola form.

I'm fine with only Gen I Pokemon getting Alola forms for now; a lot of them needed updating anyway. Gens II-IV can wait until the second half of Gen VII and later. (It's too early for V and VI)

I wonder if the Poliwag line will get something new? It's my favorite Gen 1 line tbh.

The counterpart was Yungoose as shown in the Direct trailer, making a play off of how in Hawaii they imported mongooses in to hunt rats, and they became nocturnal.
yes but maybe in future, I think of the relation of cats and mouse.
Younguse is normal not fighting?

yes but maybe in future, I think of the relation of cats and mouse.
Younguse is normal not fighting?
What do their types have to do with anything? Pokemon can be natural rivals and have completely unrelated types. Look at Zangoose and Seviper, absolutely no relation between their types, yet their supposedly forever at each other's throats.

What do their types have to do with anything? Pokemon can be natural rivals and have completely unrelated types. Look at Zangoose and Seviper, absolutely no relation between their types, yet their supposedly forever at each other's throats.
I know and understand that but hope their movesets will also be related to it somehow and to their abilities.
We have Pikachu and Serperior, hiden rivalries that also use types.
I dont say they need to change something but maybe in future we may get a new psychic rodent if we have so many dark typed cat based pokemon?

Plus I would really like to see a ice/ghost Liepard (snow leopard) in future if it would be posibbble.
For a Cheetah we would need a totally new pokemon.

Last edited:
I know and understand that but hope their movesets will also be related to it somehow and to their abilities.
We have Pikachu and Serperior, hiden rivalries that also use types.
I dont say they need to change something but maybe in future we may get a new psychic rodent if we have so many dark typed cat based pokemon?

Plus I would really like to see a ice/ghost Liepard (snow leopard) in future if it would be posibbble.
For a Cheetah we would need a totally new pokemon.

How in gods name is Pikachu and Serp a rivalry?

I saw this on tumblr, it's an interesting read.

View: http://ommanyte.tumblr.com/post/149812120000/the-alola-region-a-lesson-in-island-ecology

It's a Zoologist talking about Alola forms and the ecology of islands. (like Hawaii) They also talk about Oricorio.

Ommanyte is a Zoologist? That explains why their art is so great.

Still can't believe my stupid joke Omanyte drawing tutorial got linked to such a fanart celebrity.

In any case, I'm loving the adaptation theme these Alolan forms, even if my interest in studying biology has recently plummeted and I'm likely never going to take it again after my finals.

I like the Alola Rattata. It looks cute with the dark fur and mustache. Plus, it looks better standing on its back legs than being on all four legs. I also like the explanation as to why they became part Dark type Pokemon. It's a really nice touch to tie in with Hawaiian history and showed that they did put effort into Alola Rattata.

Although, I seriously hope that the first generation Pokemon aren't the only ones getting Alola forms. I know that it's the 20th anniversary and all, but there are Pokemon in other generations that would benefit from getting an Alola form. Seriously, Game Freak, other generations besides the first and seventh one exist.

I like the Alola Rattata. It looks cute with the dark fur and mustache. Plus, it looks better standing on its back legs than being on all four legs. I also like the explanation as to why they became part Dark type Pokemon. It's a really nice touch to tie in with Hawaiian history and showed that they did put effort into Alola Rattata.

Although, I seriously hope that the first generation Pokemon aren't the only ones getting Alola forms. I know that it's the 20th anniversary and all, but there are Pokemon in other generations that would benefit from getting an Alola form. Seriously, Game Freak, other generations besides the first and seventh one exist.
how many from gen I we got now? something about 8?
if every or every second gen would get atlest 1?

We have 11 counting Alolan Raticate and Alolan Persian.
if there will be 20 or 25 max like last time we got megas... there could be a posibility, but it depends what they planned? from where comes the info /rumour that Alolan forms are only from gen 1? only Kanto?

but we even dont know what will be with megas and other things, mayb they gave even regular evolutions for pokes from past generation planed. (That they only evolve in Alola or by the use of items from there)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom