• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola Variant Pokemon: Thoughts and Predictions

Favourite Alolan form so far?

• Total voters
I LOVE IT! IT'S BASICALLY DELTA MONS BUT WITH ACTUAL BACKSTORY BEHIND THE TYPINGS!

Vulpix and Ninetales look beautiful as Ice-types, and Sandshrew and Sandslash's reasoning for being Ice types just makes them that much cooler to me~ Our new Palm Tree Monster still got me shook and confused, but I'm not complaining on that design~

Plus you can still transfer to have the originals in the games, too, it is perfection~

I can't wait to see more~ Hoping more than just Kanto mons, too!~

Looking at my avatar, I am stoked beyond belief. Icetales is now a thing. A real thing. All I need is a pink shiny and I can die of happiness.
  • A snowy hoothoot/noctowl would be great!
  • Any new form for Arbok and Ekans would be cool. Especially since Arbok was toted to have different patterns depending on region.
  • My nidos need some love so anything on them would be great so long as they stay part poison.
  • Paras/Parasect with different mushrooms or even losing mushrooms would be cool.
  • Dark Meowth. Please.
  • For the luls: Fighting Abra line, psychic machop line.
  • Extra fluffy fairy mareep line please!
  • MORE FORMS FOR SNEASEL!
  • Maybe a sneak-thief zigzagoon?
  • More exotic forms or roselia maybe?
There are so many pokemon I could be here for weeks fantasizing...

• Dark Meowth. Please.
Yes please. I also want grass/dark Vileplume (so Karen's Vileplume doesn't seem as out-of-the-blue) and grass/fairy Bellossom (do I even need to say why? especially since we're going to Hawaii!?)

And, in a perfect world, Psychic Psyduck/Golduck, Water/Electric Tentacool/Tentacruel, Steel/Ice Onix/Steelix.

These new variants are really cool! I like how they even have actual reasoning for the different types. My favorite is Alolan Sandshrew, I mean, it turns into a freaking igloo! How can you not love that?

I like these regional variants. Very cool concept that opened up a wealth of new possibilities. I bet Ash in the anime will catch one of these Pokemon lol.

As much as I love the Alola variants, I really hope that there are still Mega Evolutions. I would hate for such a neat idea to be reduced to a single generation gimmick.

If Mega Evolutions are involved, I would love for some Alola variants to have their own Megas and see what the designers come up with.

I love this idea, and I'm really looking forward to some interesting new takes on some more classic Pokemon. So far I love the new variants for the Sandshrew and Vulpix lines, although I am impressed that they were able to make Exeggutor look even more ridiculous.

I imagine that Alola is an island region, we will likely see a good number of Water Pokemon variants.

Maybe an older pokemon becomes part Fire due to being near a volcanic area?

As much as I love the Alola variants, I really hope that there are still Mega Evolutions. I would hate for such a neat idea to be reduced to a single generation gimmick.
Maybe in the next entries, but for now it makes more sense to focus on Z-moves and Alolan forms. Mega Evolution isn't even compatible with Z-moves (since they require different items).

If there's a relatively small amount of new Pokemon like there were in Gen VI, variants are a much better excuse for that than Mega evolution was. They have different typings, probably different stat spreads, the possibilities are endless. They'll be more like "new" Pokemon to me than Megas were, and if they're replacing Megas, I'm perfectly fine with it. Fairy/Ice Ninetales will hopefully be a speedy offensive Ice-type instead of another slow defensive one.

Last edited:
Im all for an Ice type Crystal onix!!! Bring it back!!! Also i really think its confirmed af tgis point that marowak will be retyped to fire someway or another

Also everybody may have not thought about it at this point but im so excited to see their shiny forms what do you think will their color be my thoughts:
  • Exeggutor will shave have the same shiny color
  • Vulpix and ninetales will have bleach with fur
  • Sandshrew and sandslash will have black spikes and black igloothe rest is white
Please hell no to the pink shinies they have got to stop!!!! Unless they are for the cute ones but hell no to awesome pokemon with pink shinies!!!

Edit: btw if u breed in alola will it be the same type as alolan or the original will there be an item to keep them alolan or original like incense or something?

If there's a relatively small amount of new Pokemon like there were in Gen VI, variants are a much better excuse for that than Mega evolution was. They have different typings, probably different stat spreads, the possibilities are endless. They'll be more like "new" Pokemon to me than Megas were, at least.
I hope they don't change their stats too drastically so that they're unrecognizable from their original forms. Small changes would make sense, like decreasing Sandslash's speed and increasing defense to put it in line with the description the official site made, but completely redistributing stats would be a bit much I think.

GUYS

Maybe we will finally get a Dragon-type Gyarados??? This is an opportunity that GameFreak shouldn't pass up.

GUYS

Maybe we will finally get a Dragon-type Gyarados??? This is an opportunity that GameFreak shouldn't pass up.
I doubt it. GF rarely does the most obvious things these days. They like doing things completely out of left field, like a Dragon-type palm tree. That still makes me laugh way too hard.

This is the best idea they've done in a while, I don't see why some people don't like it. I just love this soooooooo much!
Imagine the possibilities! The new movesets, new breeding possibilities, NEW SHINIES OMG
Ooooooh I hope it's not just Gen I mons (but it probably will be)
If the leak is true and I have a water Growlithe I may just die of happiness

I feel like I must be the only person who's not terribly crazy over the region variants of old Pokemon. I'm concerned it'll be another Pokemon X/Y all over again where we get around 75 new Pokemon, and the rest are just new forms of old Pokemon. Worst yet is they've given some of these new Pokemon unique typings that have not been used before...

GUYS

I'm going to claim Dragon/Electric Gyarados. Which I now really want to draw because that would be awesome.
I feel like I must be the only person who's not terribly crazy over the region variants of old Pokemon. I'm concerned it'll be another Pokemon X/Y all over again where we get around 75 new Pokemon, and the rest are just new forms of old Pokemon. Worst yet is they've given some of these new Pokemon unique typings that have not been used before...
I never thought I'd say this, but I would be ok with fewer Pokémon as long as they give us about the same number of older Alola versions. For a few reasons really. For one, the Alola variants are essentially new Pokémon themselves since they have new moves, abilities, types, and likely stats. Also, since they're taking so much inspiration from real tropical islands, it wouldn't make sense for there to be a lot of native Pokémon from an ecological standpoint. Islands, especially small volcanic ones, are almost always new landmasses compared to other established continents. This means islands don't really have many "native species" in real life, a lot of them were brought there by humans in some way or another and those that survived adapted to the new environment but haven't had enough time to speciate. So it really does make sense that a large portion of the dex would be older Pokémon.

Back
Top Bottom