• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola Variant Pokemon: Thoughts and Predictions

Favourite Alolan form so far?

• Total voters
Here's some ideas for Alolan variants:
  • A Tropius that has all sorts of fruits on its neck and bigger leaves due to more sunlight. Could be just pure grass, or perhaps it's become more reptilian and can be another Grass/Dragon.
  • Jellicent/Frillish as tropical electric jellyfish (so, I guess similar to the Tentacruel idea). Water/Electric
  • Mantine as an electric stingray instead of just a manta ray, and it's also Water/Electric.
  • ANOTHER Water/Electric type with the Eelektross line being swimming eels.
  • Corsola! I'm not sure how, really. But it's coral and it's set in the islands and...yeah.

Damn. As an Electric fan I would love Electric jellies and a stingray. Mantine is also one of my favourite Pokemon, so I would love to see it get some love. Someone on a previous page also mentioned Electric Whiscash (another favourite of mine) which I die to get an electric catfish. If we don't get those now I will cry :(

I wonder if we will finally get Water/Psychic Golduck from this. It seems the perfect opportunity. Although considering what they did with Ninetales and Sandslash it will probably go Water -> Dragon/Psychic or something crazy like that.

At the moment I'm finding it hard to speculate outside of Gen I Pokemon. I kinda wish they had chucked a Gen II or later Pokemon in the reveal just to answer the question of whether it's just going to be Gen I mons.

Yeah I say again that I am 151% sure that people are just seeing things in those "Ho-Oh/Lugia clouds." It's like when people "saw" Hoopa Confined's shadow in that Mirage Spot picture with the Gen IV and V mascots, except it was really just Reshiram's tail obscuring part of the portal.

Not to say that Ho-Oh/Lugia can't appear, but those clouds have nothing to do with it.

Maybe, if that was the only evidence of Lugia and Ho-oh reappearing it wouldn't even be worth mentioning. But it's not, that one town on the southeast island is so painfully Johto that I can easily see them appearing there.

And if you think about it, it would make sense for 7th gen to revisit some Johto Pokemon. Every other generation has either had a recent game focusing on them (1st, 3rd, 6th) or is probably going to get one in the future (4th, 5th). So there's plenty of justification for Lugia and Ho-oh to reappear. There's no confirmation yet, but I think there's a good chance they'll reappear. And Alola Forms would be a great way to bring attention back to them again.

I wonder if we will finally get Water/Psychic Golduck from this. It seems the perfect opportunity. Although considering what they did with Ninetales and Sandslash it will probably go Water -> Dragon/Psychic or something crazy like that.

I think if they're planning on continuing with Megas, they should make Mega Golduck Water/Psychic. For regional variations I'd like to see something a little more creative, either a third typing that it wouldn't be possible to add to the species because the other two already fit (for example, making the Tympole line Poison when Water and Ground already fit it better) or something totally off the wall that has a sort of logic behind it (such as Alola Sandshrew/Sandslash).

Last edited:
Wouldn't knives fit better with Dark and not Fighting? Though, that might be a bit too Jack the Ripper-ish. It'd be weird if the knives were tipped with red. *shivers*

Not necessarily. Knife throwing has been used in martial arts before. It's not more of a dirty way of fighting than shooting arrows. So I guess it depends on the concept they're going for. If they go for an assassin then yeah, Dark would fit better. But if they go for a circus knife thrower or just a fighter that uses knives then Fighting still works.

Here are some variants I'm hoping for
  • Flying/Dark vampire bat Noivern, or a Poison/Dark Crobat
  • Water-type Pikachu (Marill isn't enough, let's finally have Pikablu)
  • Dragon Dunsparce
  • Fairy/Flying Skarmory that didn't develop armor, and instead developed a cotton candy coat like Swirlix
  • Water/Poison Seismitoad whose poison is much, much deadlier than the Unovan Seismitoad's
  • Fairy/Electric Stunfisk based on an angel
  • Normal/Grass Slaking that blends in with trees and has moss growing on it
Plot twist: Drampa is the evolved form of Alolan Dunsparce.
Also, I had a few more ideas:

• Alolan Wooper - Water - Based on the axolotl's environment based evolution. It could evolve into something new if caught in Alola, or into a Water/Dragon Alolan Quagsire if its hatched from an egg with Quagsire as a parent.
  • Farfetch'd - Dark/Flying - Found in caves during the day, forests and fields during the night, because it's an Alolan delicacy it's gone into hiding. The design could incorporate a hood (that comes down during battle after an attack hits), sharper beak and claws that its wings come out over so it can conceal its leek.
  • Absol - Ice/Dark - Lives in snowy mountains, the Alolan people frequently scold it due to how commonly natural disasters occour as a result of the tropical climate

Here's some I would love to see

Flying Type Ponyta/Rapidash
Bug Type Trapinch
Bug/Dragon Type Vibrava/Flygon
Steel/Dragon Typer Deino/Zweilous/Hydreigon(Based on their original design plans)
Fire/Bug Type Durant
Water Type Hippopotas/Hippowdon
Water/Dragon Type Gible/Gabite/Garchomp
Bug/Fighting Type Ledian(Swap that ATK and Sp Def stats)
Dark/Normal Type Girafarig(The tail's brain is stronger and took control)

Here's some I would love to see

Flying Type Ponyta/Rapidash
Bug Type Trapinch
Bug/Dragon Type Vibrava/Flygon
Steel/Dragon Typer Deino/Zweilous/Hydreigon(Based on their original design plans)
Fire/Bug Type Durant
Water Type Hippopotas/Hippowdon
Water/Dragon Type Gible/Gabite/Garchomp
Dark/Normal Type Girafarig(The tail's brain is stronger and took control)
I imagine a Normal type Girafarig with no evil face tail and just a normal tail, the harsh sunlight scared the munchy creep.

• Alolan Wooper - Water - Based on the axolotl's environment based evolution. It could evolve into something new if caught in Alola, or into a Water/Dragon Alolan Quagsire if its hatched from an egg with Quagsire as a parent.
  • Farfetch'd - Dark/Flying - Found in caves during the day, forests and fields during the night, because it's an Alolan delicacy it's gone into hiding. The design could incorporate a hood (that comes down during battle after an attack hits), sharper beak and claws that its wings come out over so it can conceal its leek.
  • Absol - Ice/Dark - Lives in snowy mountains, the Alolan people frequently scold it due to how commonly natural disasters occour as a result of the tropical climate
Do you really think we'd get totally new evolutions for old Pokemon (as you said with Wooper)? We haven't gotten any new evolutions of Pokemon from previous generations since Gen 4 (besides Sylveon, but that's an Eeveelution so it's kinda different). To be honest I'm all for it, because that's what I liked about Gen 4. Branch evolutions would even be cooler. But I don't know if we'll get any if they put most of the focus on Alolan forms.

I love the Farfetch'd idea. I also thought of a Grass type Snorunt that wears a leaf instead of its yellow cloak; Froslass could be disguised with a bunch of leaves as well, and Glailie could be covered in moss on its body.

Saw someone mention Corsola, a great buff to it would be Alolan Corsola gain the steel type as a secondary.aybe the rougher waters around the islands made it develop a hard shell? Also have some more location appropriate ideas:
Grass/Fire Ludicolo. I feel the fire dancer theme would fit it better then marowak(although the club idea people are throwing about is ingenious), and it goes from looking Mexican to something more tropical. Instead of Rain Dance it learns drought.
I mentioned Bug/Dragon flygon, but not what its supposed to be exactly. The way I see it, its still affiliated with the earth, just this time its kinda more like an ant. Basically it becomes a burrowing dragon that has an entire underground colony of trapinch and Vibrava.
Alolan Shellos have 4 forms based on the island its found. Each one has another type replace water, or at least 3 of them do, with Fire/Ground Volcano Shellows, Ice/Ground Tundra Shellos, and pure ground for Canyon Shellos.

"The Alolan jungles are full of scary bugs and mean critters. Species of Ledian in Alola learnt they had to adapt and become a badass fighter if they wanted to survive"

GIVE IT TO ME

If Ledian never gets a Mega, I will take an awesome Bug/Fighting form that redistributes stats in a bit of a better way.

Do you really think we'd get totally new evolutions for old Pokemon (as you said with Wooper)? We haven't gotten any new evolutions of Pokemon from previous generations since Gen 4 (besides Sylveon, but that's an Eeveelution so it's kinda different). To be honest I'm all for it, because that's what I liked about Gen 4. Branch evolutions would even be cooler. But I don't know if we'll get any if they put most of the focus on Alolan forms.

I love the Farfetch'd idea. I also thought of a Grass type Snorunt that wears a leaf instead of its yellow cloak; Froslass could be disguised with a bunch of leaves as well, and Glailie could be covered in moss on its body.
At this point, this should be the Gen where they have minimal new Pokémon and more focus on expanding old Pokémon.
I reckon if they wanna go all out, they have Alolan Dunsparce evolve into Drampa and include my Wooper ideas.
That Snorunt line concept is genius, make it a Burmy sort of thing, and maybe a moss/coral Tangela and Tangrowth.
Speaking of corals, I want Corsola to get Alolan variants for each island.

Wait... guys... guys....
AZ's Floette...
Maybe it's an Alolan Floette.

However, why wouldn't it be able to evolve?

Floette is from Alola, originally being the end of its evolutionary line, but they migrated to Kalos and adapted to the floral environment, hence Florges' flowery body.

I reckon if they wanna go all out, they have Alolan Dunsparce evolve into Drampa and include my Wooper ideas.

@BrandonHappened; You know what? Your idea about Alolan variations of certain Pokémon having different evolutionary lines is a brilliant idea! Not only does it potentially get around the Eviolite problem (since regional variations might switch the stats around around), but it could also give an excuse for certain Pokémon who have a Mega Evolution that really needed a normal evolution instead to get a second chance at being more useful (e.g. Absol and Audino). One variation could have a Mega, and the other variation could have a normal evolution!

I'm starting to hate all those biologists that just slapped the word Dragon on every animal (?).

In all seriousness, dragons are known for having fanged mouths, lizard-like tails, short legs and long necks, and Alolan Exeggutor fits all that. Better than Mega Ampharos in my opinion, which is just...Pun Power!!!

The Pichu line should gain the Fairy typing. I thought it should have happened in Gen VI, but now's GF's chance to correct it.

Also, Normal/Dark Meowth and Persian. That's long overdue.

what about Dugtrio and Scyther bug/dragon?

but if they make to many it also will be overdone...

@BrandonHappened; You know what? Your idea about Alolan variations of certain Pokémon having different evolutionary lines is a brilliant idea! Not only does it potentially get around the Eviolite problem (since regional variations might switch the stats around around), but it could also give an excuse for certain Pokémon who have a Mega Evolution that really needed a normal evolution instead to get a second chance at being more useful (e.g. Absol and Audino). One variation could have a Mega, and the other variation could have a normal evolution!
Exactly! Imagine if Mimicyu mimicked different Pokémon, and if a Banette reached an Alolan evolution condition with Mimicyu on the team it would gain a second type matching the primary type of the Pokémon Mimicyu is copying and has a coloured pattern accordingly, or if Mimicyu evolved into the type of the Pokémon it's mimicking in the same way.
Also, Tropius could get a pre-evolved form with different forms for each island, like different fruit and a different type, and it evolves into Alolan Tropius, with the Tropius form determined by the island it evolves on.
Or the pre-evolution was just brown and green and the evolution worked as I mentioned.
It's an idea with so much potential, and with in-game location based evolutions, megas, Alolan variants in the first place, split evolutions, it's not too far off what could really happen

I had to go ahead and draw up my concept for Alolan Diglett/Dugtrio:
tumblr_obcjm9frc01ttxtoqo1_540.png

(photograph source)

The 'eyes' on the sides of its head are fake eyespots, and it has gills i guess to better live underwater (although they could presumably live on land too, and i guess since most fish pokemon don't have visible gills anyway it wouldn't really be necessary to even include those, it just seemed weird not to at the time)

I mean, I don't know if me drawing this ensures it won't happen, but hey

EDIT: Oh, and I figure they'd be Ground/Water typing-wise

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom