• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola Variant Pokemon: Thoughts and Predictions

Favourite Alolan form so far?

• Total voters
God Alolan Rattata have probably one of the most uninspired and uncreative design of all time. Just black instead purple and minor jags around the body. Also another Gen I Pokemon. Great!

Yeah, I'm getting tired of all the Alolan formes being Gen 1 Pokemon too, they just come off as rather gimmicky and it makes it seem like Gen 1 is the only generation that matters and that nothing between Gen 1 and 7 even happened. I mean, they're an interesting concept, but the fact that they've ALL been Gen 1 Pokemon just turns me off.

Alolan Rattata may not look all that different, but in my opinion, it definitely looks better than the original. Also, I love the whiskers/mustache.

How can you not love Alolan Rattata's sweet mustache? My brother has found quite a few of the Alolan forms to look ridiculous, so I had to show him Rattata and he was like "That is so... you know what? I accept it. It's so ridiculous it's good."

So it's not bad at all in my eyes! xD

Yeah, I'm getting tired of all the Alolan formes being Gen 1 Pokemon too, they just come off as rather gimmicky and it makes it seem like Gen 1 is the only generation that matters and that nothing between Gen 1 and 7 even happened. I mean, they're an interesting concept, but the fact that they've ALL been Gen 1 Pokemon just turns me off.

well shit if we are going off of that then in gen 6 they pretended gen 5 didnt happen

i've already established my reasoning for why they are mostly gen 1, they are the easiest ones to attain as there is 2 ways of getting the base forms; as opposed to 1 so saps like me who dont have the bank dont have to only use alolan form pokemon

I'm pretty excited about Stab hustle knock off from rattata. Niche for sure, but still hurts

Oh man I was so psyched about the mustache that I completely forgot about the STAB dark type moves on Rattata/Raticate.

Like Meowth, its another pokemon I love having Dark type moves on when I play. My Dark-type loving OC is gonna be STOKED AS HECK.

"After Munchlax Evolves,"

What they meant to say was, "After Munchlax rids itself of its filthy post-Gen I impurities," :p

well shit if we are going off of that then in gen 6 they pretended gen 5 didnt happen

i've already established my reasoning for why they are mostly gen 1, they are the easiest ones to attain as there is 2 ways of getting the base forms; as opposed to 1 so saps like me who dont have the bank dont have to only use alolan form pokemon

"After Munchlax Evolves,"

What they meant to say was, "After Munchlax rids itself of its filthy post-Gen I impurities," :p

My thoughts exactly, they act as if Gen 1 is the only important generation because it was when Pokemon was at it's most popular, and 90's nostalgia is really popular nowadays so they're clearly trying to bank on that. While it has it's benefits, it causes problems for fans who didn't grow up with the first generation. It also doesn't help that most Gen 5 Pokemon other than legendaries have been ignored for the most part after Gen 6 started, with only ONE Gen 5 Pokemon even getting a Mega Evolution (Audino) in Gen 6 and 95% of Gen 4 and 5 getting ignored. If any post-Gen 1 Pokemon is going to get an Alolan forme, high chances it will be Lucario, which has been confirmed to be in the Alola Dex, especially considering how TPCi has favoritism for it.

I mean, it can't just strictly be Gen 1 Pokemon, there are tons of Pokemon that could get one.

Maybe it has SOMETHING to do with the GEN 1 Virtual Console Games, and MAYBE are Pokemon TRANSFERRED From Red, Blue, and Yellow into Sun and Moon?!?!?!?!?!?!

My thoughts exactly, they act as if Gen 1 is the only important generation because it was when Pokemon was at it's most popular, and 90's nostalgia is really popular nowadays so they're clearly trying to bank on that. While it has it's benefits, it causes problems for fans who didn't grow up with the first generation. It also doesn't help that most Gen 5 Pokemon other than legendaries have been ignored for the most part after Gen 6 started, with only ONE Gen 5 Pokemon even getting a Mega Evolution (Audino) in Gen 6 and 95% of Gen 4 and 5 getting ignored. If any post-Gen 1 Pokemon is going to get an Alolan forme, high chances it will be Lucario, which has been confirmed to be in the Alola Dex, especially considering how TPCi has favoritism for it.

I mean, it can't just strictly be Gen 1 Pokemon, there are tons of Pokemon that could get one.
This so much.

There are a ton of other Pokemon who could benefit from getting an Alola form but so far, all we're seeing is Kanto Pokes getting them. I'm actually getting a little fatigued of Alola forms. In fact, when I saw Rattata in its new form I threw my hands up and said, "I freaking KNEW it...!"

As of right now, I wouldn't be surprised if we have like 20 new Megas in Sun and Moon but GF isn't showcasing them because they aren't Kanto Pokemon. Because, you know, nobody would care about non-Gen I Pokemon get an upgrade of some stripe.... :mad:

It doesn't matter if it is the anniversary, there is no excuse to make all the alola forms just gen 1 pokemon and I am getting sick of the favoritism towards gen 1. Give other gens some love Game Freak!

Alola Rattata looks good to me though. However it is another alola form with a 4x weakness. Seriously, they need to stop giving us 4x weakness for Alola forms.

I was definitely thinking that the one and only reason they even showed Munchlax was to say "See, we aren't completely ignoring the other generations... Not completely!".

Yes, but what does Munchlax evolve into? Snorlax, which is a Gen 1 Pokemon, so it's obvious they are only treating it as important because of what it evolves into.

This so much.

There are a ton of other Pokemon who could benefit from getting an Alola form but so far, all we're seeing is Kanto Pokes getting them. I'm actually getting a little fatigued of Alola forms. In fact, when I saw Rattata in its new form I threw my hands up and said, "I freaking KNEW it...!"

As of right now, I wouldn't be surprised if we have like 20 new Megas in Sun and Moon but GF isn't showcasing them because they aren't Kanto Pokemon. Because, you know, nobody would care about non-Gen I Pokemon get an upgrade of some stripe.... :mad:

That's what I think too, it's all part of a marketing gimmick, because I'm actually way more interested in the Mega Evolutions than I am any of the Alola formes. Enough Gen 1 Pokemon have Megas already, and we have very few Megas from Gen 4 and almost none from Gen 5 or 6, which many of them could use one. I mean, Mega Evolutions at least added to existing Pokemon, while Alola formes just come off as more gimmicky than anything, especially since 90% of them are just type changes, and most of them don't even seem to make sense at all.

Alolan Vulpix and Ninetales make sense because they're supposed to be based on Arctic Foxes, though ones like Alolan Sandshrew/Sandslash just seem to be there for the sake of having Pokemon with type changes, since they're not really based on anything. I mean, Pokemon usually have a real world basis as to what they're based on, regardless if they're based on real creatures or mythological ones, and Pokemon that aren't based on any known creature or mythology are rare. I look at things like Alolan Sandshrew and... they just come off as being gimmicky, since given what it's based on (an armadillo, an animal that lives in the desert and has no relatives that I know of that live in snowy areas), you end up with something that has no real world context to it and is just there for the sake of having a different variation of it. Asides from being mostly Gen 1 Pokemon, that's pretty much the reason why I'm not big on the Alolan forms.

It doesn't matter if it is the anniversary, there is no excuse to make all the alola forms just gen 1 pokemon and I am getting sick of the favoritism towards gen 1. Give other gens some love Game Freak!

My point exactly, especially since countless fans (myself included) did not grow up with the original games, and as I said in a previous post, 90's nostalgia is really big right now and I feel Game Freak and TPCi are trying to cash in on this current trend.

I mean, technically, 721 pokemon can get Alolan forms.

Back
Top Bottom