• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola Variant Pokemon: Thoughts and Predictions

Favourite Alolan form so far?

• Total voters
Alolan Rattata?! :confused:

I don't know if they're being creative or desperate...o_O

Well Rattata and Yungoos' relationship is based on the actual relationship of mongooses introduced into Hawaii to keep the rats in check years back. So I'd say Rattata adapting to that relationship by becoming nocturnal while Yungoos becomes a detective that hangs around all day (staking out) for the bad guy is a creative idea. They clearly put thought into the idea and were inspired, and didn't just whip it up for the sake of it.

Alola Persian is likely to happen although there is always a possibility that only Meowth has an Alola form.

If my dark meowth and rattata lose their dark types upon evolution I would riot. D:<

Seriously if they bother to give the first stage a new form, all forms after it should be changed as well. >-> Then again I feel if one form was changed they all should have changed. *glances at Exeggcute, PIKACHU, and cubone*

Yes, but what does Munchlax evolve into? Snorlax, which is a Gen 1 Pokemon, so it's obvious they are only treating it as important because of what it evolves into.

Indeed, that's why I added the "Not completely a second time".

It's like if they were attempting to make that point, they did a very shoddy last moment job of it. "So, we're going to reveal Snorlax's Z-move in the Direct. Fans of Pokemon beyond Gen I seem a little angry lately, what can we do? Oh, wait! Wasn't there a Snorlax pre-evolution in one of those other generations we don't care about? Lucky! We'll just distribute that Pokemon and then it can relate directly to the more relevant Snorlax from the holy generation. Genius!"

If my dark meowth and rattata lose their dark types upon evolution I would riot. D:<

Seriously if they bother to give the first stage a new form, all forms after it should be changed as well. >-> Then again I feel if one form was changed they all should have changed. *glances at Exeggcute, PIKACHU, and cubone*

I wouldn't worry, I really can't see them reverting back. The entire point of the forms is that they've adapted for a reason, to go back to their regular type upon evolution basically makes the initial adaptation unnecessary and just a waste of a time as it's undoing it.

It's probably just more that they're saving some evolutions for either the upcoming months or until release, rather than showing them all at once like they did with Vulpix and Sandshrew.

I wouldn't worry, I really can't see them reverting back. The entire point of the forms is that they've adapted for a reason, to go back to their regular type upon evolution basically makes the initial adaptation unnecessary and just a waste of a time as it's undoing it.

It's probably just more that they're saving some evolutions for either the upcoming months or until release, rather than showing them all at once like they did with Vulpix and Sandshrew.
Actually, one theory I have on this is that either those two Alolan Forms can't evolve, or they evolve into a new Pokémon entirely. This would bring back cross-generation evolution without having to come up with alternate evolution methods or retcon what the Eviolite or Mega Stones work with. Basically, I'm saying that regional variants opens up a new possibility of different evolutionary lines for existing Pokémon.

Also, it's obvious that the only reason that Alolan Forms seem to be Gen I only 'mons is that it's a marketing tactic to get you to buy the RBY VC games. If Game Freak had bothered to put the GSC games on the VC before hand, I guarantee you that Game Freak would be giving Johto Pokémon some Alolan Forms as well. This means that Gen III-VI were never going to get Alolan Forms anyway: they're a marketing tactic.

At the very least, Game Freak is doing a better job with the distribution of Alolan Forms by giving them to the more underrated Kanto 'mons instead of giving the more popular ones, unlike with Mega Evolution.

Alola!Ratata is genius. It's got a freakin' mustache! It definitely needs Strong Jaw though.
My thoughts exactly, they act as if Gen 1 is the only important generation because it was when Pokemon was at it's most popular, and 90's nostalgia is really popular nowadays so they're clearly trying to bank on that. While it has it's benefits, it causes problems for fans who didn't grow up with the first generation. It also doesn't help that most Gen 5 Pokemon other than legendaries have been ignored for the most part after Gen 6 started, with only ONE Gen 5 Pokemon even getting a Mega Evolution (Audino) in Gen 6 and 95% of Gen 4 and 5 getting ignored. If any post-Gen 1 Pokemon is going to get an Alolan forme, high chances it will be Lucario, which has been confirmed to be in the Alola Dex, especially considering how TPCi has favoritism for it.

I mean, it can't just strictly be Gen 1 Pokemon, there are tons of Pokemon that could get one.
Agreement. Oh so much Agreement. In fact, if you want me to be totally honest, 1 is probably my least favourite Generation. It actually introduced probably the least number of Pokemon I like. Just give some forms to other Gen Pokemon. Honestly I don't give a crap about the majority of Pokemon from Gen I. Just give me Alola forms for my Gen IV babies. If I can't get a Mega Luxray at least give me Alola Luxray.

Also, it's obvious that the only reason that Alolan Forms seem to be Gen I only 'mons is that it's a marketing tactic to get you to buy the RBY VC games. If Game Freak had bothered to put the GSC games on the VC before hand, I guarantee you that Game Freak would be giving Johto Pokémon some Alolan Forms as well. This means that Gen III-VI were never going to get Alolan Forms anyway: they're a marketing tactic.
Every single yes that I can offer. Someone finally outright agrees with me.

Agreement. Oh so much Agreement. In fact, if you want me to be totally honest, 1 is probably my least favourite Generation. It actually introduced probably the least number of Pokemon I like. Just give some forms to other Gen Pokemon. Honestly I don't give a crap about the majority of Pokemon from Gen I. Just give me Alola forms for my Gen IV babies. If I can't get a Mega Luxray at least give me Alola Luxray.

My thoughts exactly. I'm someone who never grew up with the first generation when it originally came out, only experiencing it in my later years of being a fan. I came into the franchise around late Gen 2 to early Gen 3, so I don't have nearly as much of an emotional connection to Gen 1 like I do the later generations. While there are Gen 1 Pokemon I like, most of my favorite Pokemon (and most of my favorite things in the franchise) are from Gen 4 and 5, so the later generations hold more emotional wait for me than Gen 1 does. This is actually one reason I am not really into the Alolan formes (other than Vulpix and Ninetales so far) and why Gen 1 is probably my least favorite Generation.

On that note, I actually do believe that Gen 4-6 Pokemon will get Mega Evolutions this generation while most of the new forms will probably be from Gen 1-3 like Megas were in Gen 6, though I really hope they're not ALL Gen 1, and I can tell a lot of people don't want them to only be Gen 1.

My thoughts exactly. I'm someone who never grew up with the first generation when it originally came out, only experiencing it in my later years of being a fan. I came into the franchise around late Gen 2 to early Gen 3, so I don't have nearly as much of an emotional connection to Gen 1 like I do the later generations. While there are Gen 1 Pokemon I like, most of my favorite Pokemon (and most of my favorite things in the franchise) are from Gen 4 and 5, so the later generations hold more emotional wait for me than Gen 1 does. This is actually one reason I am not really into the Alolan formes (other than Vulpix and Ninetales so far) and why Gen 1 is probably my least favorite Generation.

On that note, I actually do believe that Gen 4-6 Pokemon will get Mega Evolutions this generation while most of the new forms will probably be from Gen 1-3 like Megas were in Gen 6, though I really hope they're not ALL Gen 1, and I can tell a lot of people don't want them to only be Gen 1.
I'm one of the ones who grew up with Gen I, and I still would still rather see some other generations gain Alola Forms. While I won't be extremely upset at only Gen I Alola Forms, due to the fact that the ones picked were underrated, I'd definitely call it a missed opportunity to not include an Alolan Girafarig or other Gen II Alola Forms. Heck, I'd be fine if the only other generation to get them would be Gen II, just as long as it's not exclusive to the original 150.

I've never liked the reasoning that a Pokemon would be a Dark-type just because it is nocturnal. What I do like is the rest of the info we got on Alolan Rattata that nicely justifies its new typing. As city dwelling vermin Rattata would have to be sneaky, tricky, and at times nasty in order to find food and survive. It's a shame that it doesn't get Strong Jaw. Are being a rat and having the best biting moves with STAB not enough motives?

Also we're gonna have mob boss Raticate and detective Gumshoos running around. That's some rodent crime wave happening in Alola.

What do you guys think of the fact that Alolan Rattata remains part Normal type??? Not only that but it's Normal typing is SECONDARY.

Last edited:
It's not groundbreaking or anything. The Litleo and Helioptile lines are both [Elemental]/Normal.

I know but I was wondering how come it kept its Normal type while Meow didn't.

Back
Top Bottom