• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola Variant Pokemon: Thoughts and Predictions

Favourite Alolan form so far?

• Total voters
Anything directly mentioning leaks or information from them needs to stay in spoiler tags outside of the rumour/leak thread guys.

Arcanine has another form according to the leaks. Should be a water type variant.
At this point I feel like that leaker only knew about Alola forms in general and completely guessed or made up the ones listed in the leaks. They only got Ninetales and Ratciate partially right. Not only that, the Japanese site confirms that normal Arcanine is in SM. Also Alakazam, Arcanine and Butterfree have been shown in their normal forms in trailers and prerelease materials.

I personally think Alolan Persian is going to be awesome. The normal design itself already fits the Dark typing, so i wonder how theyre going to improve it.

I really want a pokemon based on rainbows. Make it psychic or psychic/fairy. Ho-Oh is not worthy. Red, yellow, and green do not make the full rainbow

I also want ground type Grimer/Muk, and instead of killing everything wherever they go, they make everywhere they go fertile

Last edited by a moderator:
I am gonna assume that all alola forms are gen 1 because so far that is all we are getting. Pikachu, Cubone and Exeggucute are shown to evolve into Alola form pokemon without having one themselves.

I am gonna assume that all alola forms are gen 1 because so far that is all we are getting. Pikachu, Cubone and Exeggucute are shown to evolve into Alola form pokemon without having one themselves.
I found that odd, since you'd think they'd have SOME differences. Makes me think Maybe Rockruff came from another Region and has an Alolan form.

Arcanine has another form according to the leaks. Should be a water type variant.
YAY!!!!!!!!!! ^_^
At this point I feel like that leaker only knew about Alola forms in general and completely guessed or made up the ones listed in the leaks. They only got Ninetales and Ratciate partially right. Not only that, the Japanese site confirms that normal Arcanine is in SM. Also Alakazam, Arcanine and Butterfree have been shown in their normal forms in trailers and prerelease materials.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to see what they could do with a Water-Type Growlithe and Arcanine as far as Abilities and Design would go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If they give only Gen 1 pokemon Alola forms, then i would really enjoy a Fighting type Alakazam.

047MS.png
Parasect: Bug/Psychic with Effect Spore and Moody. It can be on a magic mushroom trip constantly :p (make its eyes look like big goggles with the eye being like this and swirling around) It would be a special attacker rather than Parasect's more physical inclination.
071MS.png
Victreebel: Ground/Dark with Arena Trap and maybe Strong Jaw? Make it turn into a Trapinch wannabe and burrow in the ground. It can still have a long appendage, but now uses it to lure things over to it in the ground before swallowing them up.
119MS.png
Seaking: Dragon/Fighting with Rivalry and Intimidate. Based on a Siamese fighting fish, Seaking can adapt to Alola's dangerous waters. Its tail can fan around and act like a Japanese war fan, not only defending itself but indicating its mood and temperament. And also for displays with rival Seakings. :p

Also even though these are unlikely with what what we know I'll mention them anyway:

226MS.png
Mantine: Electric/Water with Static and Surge Surfer. Based on a stingray for a gag.
222MS.png
Corsola: Like Oricorio it could be different on every island. Since Corsola isn't very good this seems a fair trade off to make it more interesting. It could follow Oricorio (and likely the Guardians) with its types: Water/Psychic, Water/Fire, Water/Electric and Water/Ghost all looking like different types of coral. Maybe the waters around Alola promote different types of growth from the "energy" of each island guardian.
232MS.png
Alolan Donphan: Grass/Steel and lives in the jungles. Steel can be to protect itself from falling coconuts :p Also firing Bullet Seed and Seed Bomb from its trunk seems too perfect right? It can have Bulletproof and Rattled.

119MS.png
Seaking: Dragon/Fighting with Rivalry and Intimidate. Based on a Siamese fighting fish, Seaking can adapt to Alola's dangerous waters. Its tail can fan around and act like a Japanese war fan, not only defending itself but indicating its mood and temperament. And also for displays with rival Seakings. :p

232MS.png
Alolan Donphan: Grass/Steel and lives in the jungles. Steel can be to protect itself from falling coconuts :p Also firing Bullet Seed and Seed Bomb from its trunk seems too perfect right? It can have Bulletproof and Rattled.

Absolutely yes, big thumbs-up to these two. (y)

222MS.png
Corsola: Like Oricorio it could be different on every island. Since Corsola isn't very good this seems a fair trade off to make it more interesting. It could follow Oricorio (and likely the Guardians) with its types: Water/Psychic, Water/Fire, Water/Electric and Water/Ghost all looking like different types of coral. Maybe the waters around Alola promote different types of growth from the "energy" of each island guardian.

Oh, that could look really cool! I'm picture the "branches" of coral on the Corsola as having different shapes depending on the type - obviously you would have flames for fire and lightning bolts for Electric, but what about the other two? I'm thinking that the Ghost-type one could have eerie hand-like branches, to sort of to into the Ghost-type Z-Move and to evoke the imagery of things rising from the grave. Maybe for psychic it could use helices? I don't know about that one... actually, wait. As it happens, I have a piece of coral that I always thought looked remarkably like the hemisphere of a brain. They could do something like that.

Maybe for psychic it could use helices? I don't know about that one... actually, wait. As it happens, I have a piece of coral that I always thought looked remarkably like the hemisphere of a brain. They could do something like that.

ctenella-endemic-brain-coral-credit-anne-and-charles-sheppard.jpg

For Psychic: Corsola about to go cliche alien brain on us!

Dendrogyra_cylindrus_(pillar_coral)_(San_Salvador_Island,_Bahamas)_1_(15513345363).jpg

For Fire: Corsola can have steam stacks!

latest

For Electric: All the little tips could pick up static or something idk!

Not entirely sure for Ghost, since I didn't think about particular coral species when coming up with the idea. But I'm sure there has to be some sort of vaguely spooky-looking coral out there :p I also found these within 5 minutes of Googling so there might be better ideas but for a quick brainstorm they seem ok!

Edit:

Ok maybe something like this for Ghost?

Violet-Coral1.png

ctenella-endemic-brain-coral-credit-anne-and-charles-sheppard.jpg

For Psychic: Corsola about to go cliche alien brain on us!

Dendrogyra_cylindrus_(pillar_coral)_(San_Salvador_Island,_Bahamas)_1_(15513345363).jpg

For Fire: Corsola can have steam stacks!

latest

For Electric: All the little tips could pick up static or something idk!

Not entirely sure for Ghost, since I didn't think about particular coral species when coming up with the idea. But I'm sure there has to be some sort of vaguely spooky-looking coral out there :p I also found these within 5 minutes of Googling so there might be better ideas but for a quick brainstorm they seem ok!

Edit:

Ok maybe something like this for Ghost?

Violet-Coral1.png

That Ghost one is about as close to the image in my head that I think you can get! Something exactly like that would be great.

Steam stacks for the Fire-type is a really clever idea too; makes perfect sense. If a Fire-type is going to live underwater then it would have to learn to use the water to its advantage.

I wonder about the Electric-type one. Obviously water conducts electricity, so would the Electric Corsola have some sort of built-in insulator, orrrr would it learn a lot of omni-targeting attacks?

Reactions: Zeb
interesting is the way they choose to change the types of Alolan versions, from normal into normal/dark where they get immunity and double weakness.

fire -> ice/fairy
ground -> ice/steel
grass/psychic->grass/dragon
ground->fire/ghost
normal->dark
normal->dark/normal

interesting, do the regular forms all get attacks or types that are super effective against there own alolan forms???

Why Alakazam line becoming fighting? a line that has mega evo?
what if it's the Hypno line thats getting Alolan forms?

Last edited:
I wonder about the Electric-type one. Obviously water conducts electricity, so would the Electric Corsola have some sort of built-in insulator, orrrr would it learn a lot of omni-targeting attacks?

Probably a built in insulator, I'd guess Chinchou and Lanturn work similarly? I'm not very knowledgable at science stuff like this sorry xD

It's an idea I would have loved to seen though, but I guess there's no chance of it since we've seen Corsola and it's Kanto Pokemon only so far :(

047MS.png
Parasect: Bug/Psychic with Effect Spore and Moody. It can be on a magic mushroom trip constantly :p (make its eyes look like big goggles with the eye being like this and swirling around) It would be a special attacker rather than Parasect's more physical inclination.
071MS.png
Victreebel: Ground/Dark with Arena Trap and maybe Strong Jaw? Make it turn into a Trapinch wannabe and burrow in the ground. It can still have a long appendage, but now uses it to lure things over to it in the ground before swallowing them up.

I really like these two in particular, especially since they are two of the cooler kanto mons. For parasect though, can't you give it better abilities? Bug/Psychic isn't really good typing so while effect spore isn't awful, it doesn't make up for it, and moody is too busy being banned. What about an ability that causes confusion when opponents make contact? If you just want to use abilities that already exist, unaware, contrary, and berserk fit too.

Edit: forget contrary I forgot it's not grass so no leaf storm, not like it would get psycho boost...

I might have to make one of these lists myself

Last edited:
I can see Alolan Persian becoming Dark / Psychic with the gem on its head producing Psybeam etc. The fact we still haven't seen it yet makes me think there's something a little more to it than a straight same-type evolution. It would also differentiate it more from Alolan Raticate.

It's an idea I would have loved to seen though, but I guess there's no chance of it since we've seen Corsola and it's Kanto Pokemon only so far :(

I've always adored Corsola and I love your ideas! But as you say, having seen it already makes anything new unlikely :(

Back
Top Bottom