• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alolan Starters-changes to movesets and abilities?

Matleo

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
what do you want? what think will they get?

Parting Shot(Decidueye or Primarina, or both should get it) and Circle throw (Incineroar)?

Incineroar with Sturdy ability and Surf move would be good for the tiger - water -island sumatra motive.
Intimidade is nice but Tigers can swim and are sturdy.

Primarina would be interesting with the Multiscale ability taking that Deciduey and most grass types are faster then it.

Hope they buffed somehow Long Reach and Liquid Voice.
Atlest Long Reach should somehow react to Reflect.

Last edited:
I'm 1000% sure that their abilities won't change.
they could give them the 3 ability, but they waited to see what people want.
Take the mistake with Delphox Magician ability (this ability should steal status changes and Light screen/reflect too).
Bad they dont change Liquid Voice feel a little bad, should have been a priority for its signature move.
Or it should make sound moves become priority moves. Because changing their type only matter when you need to put a ghost type asleep.
Or think of their megas?

Decidueye with Grass Whistle and Dream Eater to fullfill its ghost motive and make it better use.
Drain Punch? HP draininig moves would it allow to trap and fight longer.
Do you see it learning a dragon type move like Twister or Dual Chop?
Vacuum wave for better fighting coverage?

Lame that you need to breed it to get Curse and Omnious wind, this should be in learnset after evolution.

Inineroar has Fake Out with priority 3+ and 116 attak status? why bother with Sucker Punch? maybe Mach punch?

(could you imagine Deciduey with a ability to make it immune to flying type moves?)

Last edited:
Both are low BP and non STAB (fake out also doesn't work if incineroar switches in, which is its primary function)
what would you do, but if no sucker punch? extreem speed? quick attack?

Decidueye has the good speed to beat Aegislash if only Phantom Force would come into play.
But taking it in surprise could also be done?

what would you do, but if no sucker punch? extreem speed? quick attack?

Decidueye has the good speed to beat Aegislash if only Phantom Force would come into play.
But taking it in surprise could also be done?
Why so against Sucker Punch?

Why so against Sucker Punch?
it has claws and Decidueye got it first.
But other starters in past also got the same moves...
I dont know Decidueye is a ghost it would get back packed by it I think.
Extreem speed or mach punch to make up for decidueyes ghost typing.

it has claws and Decidueye got it first.
But other starters in past also got the same moves...
I dont know Decidueye is a ghost it would get back packed by it I think.
Extreem speed or mach punch to make up for decidueyes ghost typing.
Give Incineroar Sucker Punch and Decidueye Phantom Force or Shadow Sneak.

None of the things you suggested sounds likely in the slightest~ They already have Hidden Abilities, so there's no reason for them to change~ And the moves you suggested aren't all that beneficial~ If anything, I could see Sucker Punch Incineroar and maybe some other Fighting Moves to go with his theme.

Their movesets are fine with me, I need them to change those stats. The Speed on all of them is too damn slow. PLEASE give them like at least 10 points more there. I cannot understand at all why there isn't a single one of them with at least 100 speed. Like I know Alola as a whole is slow but why?????

Phantom force would allow to break Aegislash King Shield? not that good?

Incineroar, maybe drain punch? it got leech life or not?
Circle Throw? Bounce?

Slow? maybe becuse of type advantage? maybe of their high defence, hp and sp. defence?
they wil probably add moves in future based on speed.
Plus we had 3 or 4 generations in a row where we had very fast pokemon, maybe it was time to slow down and show other things? for a bigger picture? Strategy begins not with very fast and very strong pokemon, but with diversity. If you like speed to much it could get out of hand.

(what if they would create abilities and moves to badly damage the faster moving pokemon during battle in gen 8, imagine that, or a speed immunity against very fast mon)

Plus, you got pokemon that could use Tail Wind, Trick Room?

Incineroar can burn the foe and reduce its physical attack? could burn reduce speed one stage?

Interesting that Decidueye gets Light Screen but not Reflect?

what if they would learn agility?

Primarina has aqua jet? why ice beam and not ice shard?
Could you imagine Primarina with Gooey or that new hair ability to reduce oponents speed?

they have all now 2 abilities, we dont know what they will get in future and there could be megas planed far away.

We have the sleep, frozen and paralyze status to deal with the fast pokemon.
But those work only when you survived an attack from them.

Hypnosis and Glare(Primarina), Grass Whistle, Dream Eater, Force Palm(Decidueye) should be options for them.

Last edited:
Plus we had 3 or 4 generations in a row where we had very fast pokemon, maybe it was time to slow down and show other things? for a bigger picture? Strategy begins not with very fast and very strong pokemon, but with diversity. If you like speed to much it could get out of hand.

The last remarkably fast fire Starter was Infernape. From Generation IV. And even it gets outclassed by speed boost Blaziken, which in essence is a Generation III Pokemon.

No one can deny that we need a Greninja/Sceptile-Level fast fire starter.
Slow? maybe becuse of type advantage? maybe of their high defence, hp and sp. defence?
they wil probably add moves in future based on speed.
But we're in the PRESENT. The players don't care what happens in the future. The starters must have an incentive to use WHEN THEY'RE RELEVANT, that is, Generation 7. None of them have any remarkable defences.

Incineroar can burn the foe and reduce its physical attack? could burn reduce speed one stage?
You're acting as if Incineroar has a 100% burn chance lol

they have all now 2 abilities, we dont know what they will get in future and there could be megas planed far away.
Wake me up in 2030 Alola remakes.

I'm sorry if I'm rude but all you seem to be doing is speculating for something to happen in 2030 and adding random moves (which don't have any benefit on the Pokemon) to Pokemon which seem far fetched.

The last remarkably fast fire Starter was Infernape. From Generation IV. And even it gets outclassed by speed boost Blaziken, which in essence is a Generation III Pokemon.

No one can deny that we need a Greninja/Sceptile-Level fast fire starter.

fire/electric or fire/ground. I think?

Every other typing could mees up with existing grass and water starters.
And propably they wont copy fire/psychic after the fire/fighting dilemma.
Fire/ghost, would be to fast and take role of Decidueye.

But we're in the PRESENT. The players don't care what happens in the future. The starters must have an incentive to use WHEN THEY'RE RELEVANT, that is, Generation 7. None of them have any remarkable defences.

they have rather good defences and hp If you take there immunities into account.
All have immunities many forget that?

You're acting as if Incineroar has a 100% burn chance lol
Will-o-wisp?

Wake me up in 2030 Alola remakes.

I'm sorry if I'm rude but all you seem to be doing is speculating for something to happen in 2030 and adding random moves (which don't have any benefit on the Pokemon) to Pokemon which seem far fetched.

dont be sorry. Remember how people complained about charizards lacking of dragon typing and abilities of starters in the past?
what if he and Decidueye could get Agility?(2 stages)
(and if Agility could work like Detect only in the first turn out)

Agility was given only to 4 alolan pokemon? Vikavolt and Oricorio the only two not legendary? thats lame taking how many starters got it in the past. (Ferraligatr andSceptile )

could see Incineroar and Decidueye getting Agility taking that the second has a entry how fast it is.

Quick attack should also be a option if something.

Primarina has Bubble Beam to reduce the oponents speed, Aqua Jest for priority,
what a pitty it didnt get vacuum wave or a special priority move, a sound move...
(Quiver Dance is a mystic moves? why not fairy? why not make Primarina or Deci learn it???)

I dont understand why they ditnt make First Impression more distributed.
This would solve Decidueys dark type coverage problem.
Or gave it Mach Punch also taking that it can use sucker punch.
Shadow sneak or Phantom force should have been a option.
atleast it got Low sweep to lower the targets speed one stage...
(if only Curse could also reduce the stats like speed and not only take hp every turn till switching)

Last edited:
they have rather good defences and hp If you take there immunities into account.
All have immunities many forget that?
Incineroar and Primarina have 1 each, and Decidueye has 2. Incineroar's immunity is not useful, Primarina's is okay-ish. Decidueye is the one with worthwhile immunities.

Will-o-wisp?
That wastes one of the four valuable move slots.
It has 85% accuracy, so yes, it can miss at important points of battle.

Incineroar gets Flame charge by TM?(1 stage)
what if he and Decidueye could get Agility?(2 stages)
(and if Agility could work like Detect only in the first turn out)
Set up dosen't count.

Quick attack should also be a option if something.
Sucker punch outclasses this move badly.

(Quiver Dance is a mystic moves? why not fairy? why not make Primarina or Deci learn it???)
The move isn't mystic at all. It's just a bug Dance.

Abilities do not tend to change their effects within the same Generation (except Emerald, which added passive out-of-battle effects to certain existing ones), and adding to the fact that abilities rarely changed, I don't see the starters' abilities change. Besides, Decidueye and Primarina already have signature abilities. If we are approaching Generation 8, I hope that Liquid Voice gets a small power boost in addition to its existing one, while Long Reach gets a small power boost to moves that do not make contact (so Spirit Shackle is somewhat powered up).

For moves, however, I think Decidueye could do with some extra Special attacks, since it have decent Special attack and learns Nasty Plot but practically only Grass and Ghost special attacks. For starters, it should get a few Flying moves, such as Air Slash and Hurricane. And then, a few Special Fighting attacks like Vacuum Wave and Focus Blast.

I am not certain about Incineroar, because I feel its moves are already good enough, only thing it needs is Intimidate since it is practically made for this ability. Same goes for Primarina, who I know for certain already have the moves it needs.

Thanks for reading.

I want Decidueye to get Leafstorm or Petal Dance. Brave Bird is kind of useless without a STAB that Incineroar would get with Flare Blitz or Primarina would get with Hydro Pump.

For moves, however, I think Decidueye could do with some extra Special attacks, since it have decent Special attack and learns Nasty Plot but practically only Grass and Ghost special attacks. For starters, it should get a few Flying moves, such as Air Slash and Hurricane. And then, a few Special Fighting attacks like Vacuum Wave and Focus Blast.

Yeah, definitely agree with this. The stats are what they are now and are unlikely to ever change, so if they want to give Decidueye that Sp.Atk stat and Nasty Plot then they should also give it more special moves to use. It would provide more differences between it and the other Grass/Ghosts which are generally all used physically. (Of course Spirit Shackle would still make Decidueye users lean heavily on physical, but at least going special would be more of a usable option.)

Tailwind, Hypnosis and Laser Focus also seem like moves Decidueye should learn, but they aren't game changing additions, just niche additions.

I am not certain about Incineroar, because I feel its moves are already good enough, only thing it needs is Intimidate since it is practically made for this ability.

Knock Off, Pursuit and Sucker Punch all seem like good additions for Incineroar. I've seen Parting Shot mentioned lately and I think that would be fitting, but it does already have U-turn so Z-Parting Shot would be probably be the main reason to use it. I also wouldn't be opposed to it getting Gunk Shot, due to that leaked art last year showing it spitting, but that's more for flavour than anything.

Knock Off, Pursuit and Sucker Punch all seem like good additions for Incineroar. I've seen Parting Shot mentioned lately and I think that would be fitting, but it does already have U-turn so Z-Parting Shot would be probably be the main reason to use it. I also wouldn't be opposed to it getting Gunk Shot, due to that leaked art last year showing it spitting, but that's more for flavour than anything.

but it would solve the lack of speed problem plus its name is based on weapon throw or something that kind.
Plus archers are known for hit and run strategy and a piority would be better then only U-turn.

but it would solve the lack of speed problem plus its name is based on weapon throw or something that kind.
Plus archers are known for hit and run strategy and a piority would be better then only U-turn.

Are you talking about Parting Shot? If so, it's not based on hit and run strategy. The "shot" isn't a weapon shot, it's a term for basically a parting remark, the user shouting something unpleasant as they leave. It was Pangoro's signature move (Pangoro being based on a banchō) because it's apparently a common trope with those types of characters in Japanese media. It would fit Incineroar's attitude and personality more than Decidueye's.

parting shot
noun
noun: parting shot; plural noun: parting shots
  1. a final remark, typically a cutting one, made by someone at the moment of departure.
    "as her parting shot she told me never to phone her again"

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom