• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alolan Starters-changes to movesets and abilities?

Are you talking about Parting Shot? If so, it's not based on hit and run strategy. The "shot" isn't a weapon shot, it's a term for basically a parting remark, the user shouting something unpleasant as they leave. It was Pangoro's signature move (Pangoro being based on a banchō) because it's apparently a common trope with those types of characters in Japanese media. It would fit Incineroar's attitude and personality more than Decidueye's.
practicaly it would fit all 3 starters, Deci too look, that it is known to be fast and it would be a good equivalent to sucker puunch.
Incineroar too + intimidate
Primarina becuse of the sound .

I think all 3 Alolan starters should get it because it fits the island and circus theme and their individual motives.
One bad that smogon has baned the move, but if it has not high pp and if it would only work on start of the turn then maybe.
Maybe smogon will change its mind taking that magic bogunce now is a thing.

(Weird that Delphox and Chesnaught didn't get it taking their witch and knight motive, Empoleon could use that too I think)

parting shot
n
a hostile remark or gesture delivered while departing. Also called: Parthian shot

'Parting shot' - the meaning and origin of this phrase

A 'parting shot' is now a metaphorical term but it clearly alludes to the shooting of weapons. The first such literal reference that I've come across is in the writings of John McLeod, who was surgeon of His Majesty's Ship Alceste. McLeod includes this comment in A Narrative of a Voyage to The Yellow Sea, 1818:

The consort, firing a parting shot, bore up round the north end of the island, and escaped.

The figurative use of the phrase comes not much later, in the records of the Religious Society of Friends (The Quakers) - The Friend or, Advocate of Truth, 1828:

I think it would be much more becoming..., if you could separate without giving each other a parting shot. If you could but use this short sentence, "we cannot agree and therefore we separate."

That derivation of 'parting shot' appears to be very simple and straightforward. Not so fast; enter the Parthians and their 'Parthian shots'. The Partians were an ancient race who lived in north-east Persia. They were renowned archers and horsemen and were known for their practice of confusing the enemy by pretending to flee and firing arrows backwards while retreating - not the easiest thing to do on a galloping horse. The tactic must have been successful as in first century B.C. Parthia stretched from the Euphrates to the Indus rivers, covering most of what is now Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan.

practicaly it would fit all 3 starters, Deci too look, that it is known to be fast and it would be a good equivalent to sucker puunch.
Incineroar too + intimidate
Primarina becuse of the sound .

I think all 3 Alolan starters should get it because it fits the island and circus theme and their individual motives.
One bad that smogon has baned the move, but if it has not high pp and if it would only work on start of the turn then maybe.
Maybe smogon will change its mind taking that magic bogunce now is a thing.

(Weird that Delphox and Chesnaught didn't get it taking their witch and knight motive, Empoleon could use that too I think)

parting shot
n
a hostile remark or gesture delivered while departing. Also called: Parthian shot

'Parting shot' - the meaning and origin of this phrase

A 'parting shot' is now a metaphorical term but it clearly alludes to the shooting of weapons. The first such literal reference that I've come across is in the writings of John McLeod, who was surgeon of His Majesty's Ship Alceste. McLeod includes this comment in A Narrative of a Voyage to The Yellow Sea, 1818:

The consort, firing a parting shot, bore up round the north end of the island, and escaped.

The figurative use of the phrase comes not much later, in the records of the Religious Society of Friends (The Quakers) - The Friend or, Advocate of Truth, 1828:

I think it would be much more becoming..., if you could separate without giving each other a parting shot. If you could but use this short sentence, "we cannot agree and therefore we separate."

That derivation of 'parting shot' appears to be very simple and straightforward. Not so fast; enter the Parthians and their 'Parthian shots'. The Partians were an ancient race who lived in north-east Persia. They were renowned archers and horsemen and were known for their practice of confusing the enemy by pretending to flee and firing arrows backwards while retreating - not the easiest thing to do on a galloping horse. The tactic must have been successful as in first century B.C. Parthia stretched from the Euphrates to the Indus rivers, covering most of what is now Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan.

That's not the context of the move in the games, though. Regardless of how the saying originated the move doesn't involve the Pokemon firing anything but abuse. Think of it like the moves Taunt or Torment, since that's kinda what it's meant to be like, and neither Primarina nor Decidueye learn those moves.

Also Smogon hasn't banned Parting Shot. Z-Parting Shot was banned on the cartridge for a while due to it causing game breaking glitches, though, so maybe you're thinking of that.

Last edited:
Well, as I assume/hope that Move Tutors (and I mean the "advanced" ones, not the "standard" ones) are in USUM (and, for the love of god, PLEASE make them available BEFORE postgame, or at least scattered about throughout the game like in Platinum), I would like to see Incineroar gain Fire Punch and Thunder Punch. Fire Punch would give it a pretty decent STAB physical Fire attack until Flare Blitz (or used permanently if the player opts out of Flare Blitz, as I know I, myself, get leery with recoil moves), while Thunder Punch can help it deal with Water Mons more easily. However, Incineroar's movepool is pretty solid otherwise, and has quite the selection of moves (including surprising ones like Outrage). Maybe give it Drain Punch as a means to offset Flare Blitz recoil damage, or just straight-up hit-and-heal tactics (though I do know that it gets Leech Life, but Fighting moves grant better coverage than Bug). I could also see Knock Off, Low Kick, and Iron Head/Tail as part of its arsenal, especially the former. And in regards to Delucieye and Primarina, moves I see/want for them would be Low Kick, Zen Headbutt, Seed Bomb, Sky Attack/Bounce, Knock Off, and Dragon Pulse (note that these moves are not for both of them, but just ideas for one or the other, though some could apply to both, like Zen Headbutt). And maybe add moves like the recently removed Dig and Incinerate put on as Move Tutor moves. Oh, and also give Delucieye more Special moves like the posts above me so it can put its good Sp Atk and Nasty Plot to good use. Oh, and as a tie-in with a previous post I made, give Rowlet and Dartrix Acrobatics for a powerful STAB move, especially since both Torracat and Brionne get it.

Another thing is I would like to see Midnight Lycanroc get a "real" signature move in these games. Not the measly Counter, but a real signature move to give it more of a niche. It got the short end of the stick this time around, with its Midday counterpart getting a Rock-type Quick Attack exclusively for it, while Midnight gets... Counter. Yeah, sure, I know it fits its "battle style", but still, that's a really lame "niche" for it, especially since Rock is such a pitiful type defensively, getting pwned by Water, Grass, Steel, Fighting, AND Ground. Oh, and speaking of Ground, give the wolf a bone in the form of Earthquake. Most Rock-types can learn that no sweat, even if they're not part Ground, but poor Lycanroc (both forms) don't have even the slightest access to that or even its "weaker" counterparts. I hardly find that fair. Even just allowing it to have Drill Run might be of some use to it.

I can probably come up with more, but this is all I have right now. So it should do for now.

The only way a starter changes abilities and stats is through mega evolution.

hmm what about some "bone" based moves for Incineroar?
why dint they give a wretler motive pokemon the move circle throw(to switch oponents)? that screams for it.

Even if Parting shot is sound move then both Decidueye and Primarina should be able to use that move. (Even incineroar)
Taking that they are slow and that need such strategival moves.

Last edited:
you could write more about why nope?

Bones based moves are used by many pokemon asioated with animals that have bone contact.

Marowak and cubone? look at bone motives and how many learned them in the past.

you could write more about why nope?

Bones based moves are used by many pokemon asioated with animals that have bone contact.

Marowak and cubone? look at bone motives and how many learned them in the past.

Does incineroar wield a bone at ALL times like a cubone or marowak?

Does incineroar wield a bone at ALL times like a cubone or marowak?
And what about Lucario learning it? Bones move would fit it more then Bulldoze.

(ps. in future i see more new bone moves and a bone moves immunity ability comming, but not all for Incineroar)

Incineroar needs Fire Punch.
why if fire fang is also physical and only 10 points weaker? 65 and physical.

Last edited:
Lucario has bits and pieces of bones sticking out of it.

65 BP is too low for competitive.

Ok, let the bones be , maybe a future starter gets some bone motives.
with that high attack status? its a physical tank and a mixed wall.
I understand that you all want the best pokemon, but look how many other it takes down.
It has roar to switch out oponent, but would really need more circle throw as a wrestler and to make some damage.

It can switch out, but switching out oponents with its low speed status would make it more interesting, taking that it can trap foes it should be allowed to make more, allow it to switch out its oponents that it cant fight and not only run .
With Curse, Sucker Punch and Whirlwind it could do some chaos.

I know, that was my goal.

As for something more on-topic... I don't really know what I'd add to the starters. The main problem with Incineroar and Decidueye is their speed, I think, and I don't see GF changing their base stats at all.

good that omnious wind and flame chargé rise their stats.
Lame that spirit shackle doesnt become priority move when oponent already is trapped.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom