• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Altered Movesets in Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
An interesting thought came to mind. Seeing how in the trailer when Piplup was attacking Shinx it used Water Gun, a move it's never had before, instead of Bubble means that these games may also have certain moves missing like in Sw/Sh. And since we don't know about how TMs and possibly TRs are going to be implemented due to the whole "faithful" thing flying around, it made me wonder something. What moves will be in the games and what moves will still be axed? And what does that mean for the movepools of the returning Mons in-game? Discuss what you think about the possibility of altered movesets for Mons in the remakes and what moves you think will return or will be axed?

Unova Confirmed!
Reaction score
Pokémon have used moves they can't learn in the final game in trailers before, such as Gardevoir using Fairy Wind in an XY trailer.
Or Blaziken using Ice Punch, an Ice type move used by a Fire/Fighting pokemon for Arceus' sake.

crazy oshawott lady
Reaction score
The trailer did say "game footage not final", so I'm not too sure about Piplup having Water Gun. Then again, Bubble wasn't coded in to Sw/Sh. I do wonder how Unown will be handled in this game if Hidden Power is not returning. We have had Pokemon using moves in trailers before that they were later revealed not to learn, like Gardevoir with Fairy Wind in the XY trailers.

Someone. Maybe.
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
She/Her
I had forgotten that Bubble got the boot in SWSH. I hope it stays that way and Piplup does get water gun. I remember runs with Piplup were pretty dire for a while because its only STAB move was a base 20 bubble attack until Prinplup gets bubble beam in...the 20s, I think?

Last edited:
crazy oshawott lady
Reaction score
I had forgotten that Bubble got the boot in SWSH. I hope it stays that way and Piplup does get water gun. I remember runs with Piplup were pretty dire for a while because it's only STAB move was a base 20 bubble attack until Prinplup gets bubble beam in...the 20s, I think?
I really do hope they patch up the Piplup line's level-up moveset, especially in the STAB moves department. Having to be stuck with a 20 base power move for a considerable amount of time is bad, and is why I used Piplup the least when I played a Sinnoh game. Though that's probably because I came to learn just how important Chimchar was due to its better offensive advantages.

Nepgear is cute.
Reaction score
I do wonder how Unown will be handled in this game if Hidden Power is not returning.
I really hope they give Unown a proper move set to compensate. Here’s how I’d do it (I’ll collapse it under a spoiler tag so what page this is on won’t become too long:

LvMove
Stored Power
Wish
Cosmic Power
Lucky Chant
20Light Screen
20Reflect
20Safeguard
25Protect
25Quick Guard
25Wide Guard
30Power Trick
30Beat Up
30Helping Hand
35Pain Split
35Guard Split
35Power Split
40Skill Swap
40Power Swap
40Guard Swap
40Speed Swap
45Extrasensory
45Copycat
50Disable
50Mean Look
50Hypnosis
50Dream Eater
55Me First
55After You
55Healing Wish
60Psychic Terrain
60Gravity
60Trick Room
60Wonder Room
60Magic Room
65Mimic
70Calm Mind
70Psychic
70Psyshock

The idea behind this comes from the third Pokémon movie: Power of the Unown: it is essentially a support Pokémon, but can grow in power through numbers in regards to what affect it has on the world around it. The chain goes like this: itself --> others --> the environment around it. It slowly gains offensive power as it grows, but is always primarily concentrated on support.

り ゅ う せ い ぐ ん
Reaction score
I had forgotten that Bubble got the boot in SWSH. I hope it stays that way and Piplup does get water gun. I remember runs with Piplup were pretty dire for a while because its only STAB move was a base 20 bubble attack until Prinplup gets bubble beam in...the 20s, I think?
I really do hope they patch up the Piplup line's level-up moveset, especially in the STAB moves department. Having to be stuck with a 20 base power move for a considerable amount of time is bad, and is why I used Piplup the least when I played a Sinnoh game. Though that's probably because I came to learn just how important Chimchar was due to its better offensive advantages.
As a Piplup user and lover, I can fully relate. However, keep in mind that Bubble's base power was bumped up to 40 in Gen 6, meaning there wouldn't be a problem with it now. Sadly though, SwSh gave it the boot and Piplup will have to get Water Gun in a generic fashion like everyone else. I've strongly associated Bubble and Bubble Beam with the Piplup-line, so it will be a minor nitpick for me to have my buddy use Water Gun. But nothing I'll really complain about.

I do hope they get Bubble Beam earlier though! I know Platinum lowered it from the early 20s to 19, but Starters have been learning stronger or similarly strong moves in their mid-teens.

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
I suspect Spiritomb will be given a Poison type move of some kind (maybe something like Sludge Bomb or Sludge Wave) to give it something to counter Fairies. They seem to like giving the Elite 4 Pokemon moves that can counter their weaknesses, but Spiritomb has nothing SE against Fairies. Some type of Poison move via TM/TR, Move Tutor, or Egg move would do the trick.