• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alternate Learnsets

Reaction score
As we all know, is Pokemon Legends set in the past of Sinnoh.

Now i wonder if we get alternate movessets for Pokemon in the game, since TM's most likely won't be in the game. It might mean that some Pokemon who originally only learn a move via TM get updated movesets to fit better (For example: Garchomp can only learn Sand Tomb, Bulldoze and Dig via lvl up and Earthquake via TM).

Its especially problematic for the Swinub line, since Swinub and Piloswine don't learn Ancient Power via lvl up (Its a lvl 1 move) and having a move tutor in the game doesn't make sense either, since we make a Pokedex and as such, not all moves of a Pokemon will be known.

Move Tutors are still on the table, we could see more expansive Move Tutor sets as we saw in past generations.

But if we have a Move Tutor, that suggests that person has researched the Pokemon before us, so why didn't they make a Pokedex if it has all the knowledge anyways. Having a Move Tutor only gives more questions than it solves. Same with alternate TM's. Someone already researched the Pokemon to know which TM to use.

But if we have a Move Tutor, that suggests that person has researched the Pokemon before us, so why didn't they make a Pokedex if it has all the knowledge anyways. Having a Move Tutor only gives more questions than it solves. Same with alternate TM's. Someone already researched the Pokemon to know which TM to use.

No, I don't think they necessarily know about the Pokemon, they probably just know about the moves they're teaching and then when you bring them a Pokemon they can tell at a glance whether or not that Pokemon can learn it based on common sense. Say for example, a Move Tutor knows Shadow Claw, but it can't produce spectral energy or attack with claws? Even though they don't know a lot about the Pokemon, they'd know it couldn't learn Shadow Claw. So that's not really a plothole.

No, I don't think they necessarily know about the Pokemon, they probably just know about the moves they're teaching and then when you bring them a Pokemon they can tell at a glance whether or not that Pokemon can learn it based on common sense. Say for example, a Move Tutor knows Shadow Claw, but it can't produce spectral energy or attack with claws? Even though they don't know a lot about the Pokemon, they'd know it couldn't learn Shadow Claw. So that's not really a plothole.

Rowlet has no Claws, but can still learn it. So that argument is already flawed. Same with Diglett and Aron (Assuming they are in the game).

Rowlet has no Claws, but can still learn it. So that argument is already flawed. Same with Diglett and Aron (Assuming they are in the game).

Rowlet has talons, Diglett seems to have claws that it hides under the ground, and Aron uses its legs I guess? Still things the Move Tutor could observe upon encountering the Pokemon and utilize common sense to determine whether or not the Pokemon could learn it, so it doesn't detract from the argument.

Rowlet has talons, Diglett is rumored to have feet and moles need claws to dig, and Aron probably just sharpens its nub feet and scratches people in defense. Having shadow claw makes perfect sense. I mean anyone with an eye can see an owl, mole, and a tiny baby metal rhino thing can maul people (spectrally).

Edit: Greninja'd.

Now i wonder if we get alternate movessets for Pokemon in the game, since TM's most likely won't be in the game. It might mean that some Pokemon who originally only learn a move via TM get updated movesets to fit better (For example: Garchomp can only learn Sand Tomb, Bulldoze and Dig via lvl up and Earthquake via TM).

Its especially problematic for the Swinub line, since Swinub and Piloswine don't learn Ancient Power via lvl up (Its a lvl 1 move) and having a move tutor in the game doesn't make sense either, since we make a Pokedex and as such, not all moves of a Pokemon will be known.
GameFreak has a bunch of rather creative people on their bankroll. Remember, they gave us Madame Celadon in LGPE to make up for the fact that Synchronize and breeding doesn't exist in those games. They can 100% come up with some way to implement TMs, move tutors, etc. that fits with the setting and thinking they can't is just doing a disservice to the developers of these games methinks. Want to teach your Pokémon Shadow Claw? We have a ninja whose trained with Ghastly for so long she has gained mastery over the supernatural and can now teach your Pokémon how to use Ghost type attacks. She doesn't have to know whether or not your Pokémon can Shadow Claw; if it doesn't work then "I guess your Pokémon is incompatible with this move" etc.

According to the history of the Pokémon world, the move Toxic was invented by a ninja 400 years prior to the events of Gen 1. Legends Arceus is theorized to take place during the Meiji period, which would place it about 100-150 years prior to the events of modern Pokémon games.

Using this information, we can assume the theories in this thread regarding move tutors is the most plausible alternative to TMs, in fact, I think you could say that all TMs are simply records of information on techniques taught and invented by humans to Pokémon.

Last edited:
According to the history of the Pokémon world, the move Toxic was invented by a ninja 400 years prior to the events of Gen 1. Legends Arceus is theorized to take place during the Meiji period, which would place it about 100-150 years prior to the events of modern Pokémon games.

Using this information, we can assume the theories in this thread regarding move tutors is the most plausible alternative to TMs, in fact, I think you could say that all TMs are simply records of information on techniques taught and invented by humans to Pokémon.

This is interesting. Especially this bit.

Hundreds of years before Generation II:

• The Sinjoh Ruins were built by two groups of people, from Sinnoh and Johto's Ruins of Alph. The site's architecture expresses a fusion of the two group's ideas and mythology.
So basically, Legends of Arceus is either before the Sinjoh Ruins were build or during that timeframe.

This is interesting. Especially this bit.

Hundreds of years before Generation II:

• The Sinjoh Ruins were built by two groups of people, from Sinnoh and Johto's Ruins of Alph. The site's architecture expresses a fusion of the two group's ideas and mythology.
So basically, Legends of Arceus is either before the Sinjoh Ruins were build or during that timeframe.

A reference to the Sinjoh Ruins is a bit of a pipe dream to me, and since it’s only ever referenced in HGSS, I’m hard-pressed to think we’ll ever see it mentioned again, but it would be a neat little Easter egg if, on the south side of Mt. Coronet, we met someone from Johto who mentions traveling to Sinnoh via the Sinjoh Ruins, since it’s heavily implied by the HGSS map’s location of the Sinjoh Ruins that if you were to follow the mountain range of Mt. Silver north, you’d actually reach Mt. Coronet, so it would make sense to find a traveler from Johto on the south end of the Mt. Coronet mountain range.

Bonus points if we can travel to the Sinjoh Ruins for some special in-game event.

And I would buy 100 copies of the game for 100 other people and award even more bonus points for being able to traverse the full-scale version of the Sinjoh Ruins all the way to Johto (hint: it’s not happening which means I’ll save myself $6,000 on this bet).

I for one think that TMs could be replaced by scrolls. It would give off that old-timey Asian feel that seems to be this game's aesthetic.

I think to make it fit thematically, some of the moves should be renamed, like Water Gun being renamed to Water Arrow.

Maybe the Professor acts as a Move Tutor. They did travel to other regions and possibly saw how it's done over there. So they studied the movesets in those other regions and have an extensive knowledge of the various movesets for Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom