• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Am I right in thinking they are going to patch the glitches?

Blockhead Pippi

North America's only Pippi fan
Reaction score
I got into this little debate/argument with someone on another site, who was pretty mad that restore points are not being included in the Gen 1 VC releases. Personally I find that to be a stupid reason to get angry over, since having it only encourages cheating and cloning exploits. But it also got to the subject where this person said that they hoped that glitches like Missingno and the Mew Glitch, "helpful glitches", remain so they can still be used to duplicate items or encounter rarities.

I'm however of strong belief that they are going to patch the VC releases and make it so that these glitches cannot be performed. I see no reason for them not to. Missingno corrupts save data and its duplication effect encourages cheating, and the Mew Glitch would render the event Mew completely useless. I try to explain this but this person keeps stubbornly insisting that they're not going to change a thing in it (other than the wireless support), and instigates that I know nothing.

Surely, I can't be the only one who thinks they're going to patch it?

Keeping glitches on purpose makes no sense. I think they will be fixed.

Isn't the upcoming Mew event kinda obviously for Gen VI? Remember the hard break between Gens 2 and 3, so a Gen 1 Mew (caught via glitch) can only exist in the VC titles.

There's going to be a special Mew event available for the VC games.

From Serebii:
Most notably they will provide the above Mew event but will also give a special ticket to receive Mew in the Virtual Console games themselves in a special event announced in February

If they really want to bring back nostalgia, the glitches were a huge part of the games, but I still doubt they would do it.

I feel like there not going to bother fixing most of the glitches. The programming is a hell of a mess. Paraphrasing an entry from a list of glitches I recently read, "These games have been out for twenty years and we still don’t know why this happens." Attempting to fix it would likely lead to more problems coming out of the woodwork and therefore even more testing to make sure what they've done hasn't made things worse. I guess it depends on how much effort they would want to put into this which I'm incline to say not too much considering their latest endeavors and that VC titles should be simple releases instead of a pain. With that said they're gonna have to address all the bugs since many people will definitely run into them playing the game. It'll likely be something similar to the announcements they've put out in the past saying that players avoid all glitches they come across as they can lead to fatal game states.

Oh, also the original games just aren't as fun without the glitches.

But for a lot of people messing around with missingno and mew is their reason for getting the game.

I would just like to throw out the fact that the prices for the Japanese versions have been revealed and they're charging 1200 yen (about US $10) apiece. That's a good three times the cost of other VC Game Boy games (the typical game runs 411 yen) for games that they *know* are going to sell a gajillion copies of. I don't think bug fixes are too out of the question.

Halo 2 was recently remastered and they kept all those glitches and bugs in.

And added about 1,000 more.

They probably wouldn't make much profit if they focused a load of times onto fixing them.

I might sound like a bit of a cherry picker, but I really want them to fix things like Focus energy and Ghost/Psychic glitches, but leave things like Mew and Missingno in.

Personally though I think they will fix them all.

I feel like there not going to bother fixing most of the glitches. The programming is a hell of a mess. Paraphrasing an entry from a list of glitches I recently read, "These games have been out for twenty years and we still don’t know why this happens." Attempting to fix it would likely lead to more problems coming out of the woodwork and therefore even more testing to make sure what they've done hasn't made things worse. I guess it depends on how much effort they would want to put into this which I'm incline to say not too much considering their latest endeavors and that VC titles should be simple releases instead of a pain. With that said they're gonna have to address all the bugs since many people will definitely run into them playing the game. It'll likely be something similar to the announcements they've put out in the past saying that players avoid all glitches they come across as they can lead to fatal game states.

Oh, also the original games just aren't as fun without the glitches.

Well they did patch Cinnabar in Yellow so that you couldn't encounter Missingno the usual way. It's a quick, cheap fix, and I wouldn't put it past them for doing that at the absolute least.

I believe it could go either way. We are able to battle and trade, however I don't believe anything currently states you can send these Pokémon to Pokémon Bank or any other game besides the Gen I re-releases, so we won't be seeing any Glitch Mew or Missingno in current games.

I can imagine them attempting to fix the glitches to stop players from trading or battling with them within these games, but only time will tell.

I read an article earlier today saying during a play session a Nintendo rep didn't know if they were fixing the glitches, but said that people were requesting they stay in.

That doesn't mean that all Nintendo reps are right on something. A rep from Nintendo of Canada said that Tri Force Heroes is not on the Zelda timeline, and turned out to be completely false. This rep seems to be just stating the obvious.

Well they did patch Cinnabar in Yellow so that you couldn't encounter Missingno the usual way. It's a quick, cheap fix, and I wouldn't put it past them for doing that at the absolute least.

Oh yeah, I forgot they did that for Yellow. I even just finished reading an in-depth Yellow LP so it probably should have come to mind easily.

As someone mentioned earlier if there was one thing I do hope they can fix it would be the Ghost vs. Psychic interactions.

The Ghost and Psychic type match-ups aren't the result of a bug though, they are intentionally broken and unbalanced. Pyschic type is just too OP in Gen 1. They wouldn't fix that when it's part of the game mechanics, whereas glitches are not.

The Ghost and Psychic type match-ups aren't the result of a bug though, they are intentionally broken and unbalanced. Pyschic type is just too OP in Gen 1. They wouldn't fix that when it's part of the game mechanics, whereas glitches are not.

No it's not intended at all. It was always intended and even stated in Gen 1, that Ghost type moves were super effective against Psychic, however when the damage calculation is actually made in Gen 1 games, it's taken as if Ghost is not very effective against Psychic which is an obvious error/bug.

Same with Focus Energy actually reduced your chance of getting a critical hit.

Some of the glitches in Gen I are so gamebreaking that I think that they should patch them. Taking nostalgia out of the equation, a game as buggy as the original Gen I games being released today wouldn't go over well. And if they're charging more than extra I really don't want a glitch-ridden game.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom