• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Am I the only one around here who...

Am I the only one around here who hates when people here in the forums refer to Pokémon, places or characters by their Japanese names? What the hell, for us it's SABRINA, not Natsume. It's ALOMOMOLA, not Mamanbou. We speak English around here, not Japanese. It's frustrating because when they do that, I don't know what they're talking about. Why do they even do it?

Again, I think you should be more respectful. No everyone here lives in America or in countries where the "English" names of the Pokémon, places and characters are used, you know? So, there is no point in getting angry because they don't use the names YOU like and are used to hear/read. Plus, there is a feature in the forums that link the Japanese names to their pages on bulbapedia, you just need to put the cursor above the name to know that Fushigidane is Bulbasaur and Hitokage is Charmander.

And go on, ignore my post like you did earlier.

To be honest, I don't care. It still bothers me. I think one of the forum's rules is that you should speak English. English isn't even my first language and I stick to that rule, so I think everyone else should too. I'm going to look for that feature you mentioned, which I didn't know existed. Thanks for the tip!

Yes, English is major here, but for some of us, we often rely on the Japanese names because we are more familiar with it. I'm really grateful they introduced the feature of linking the names so we can see them in either language in bulba.

Besides, pokemon originates from Japan. I don't see why using their Japanese names are something to get mad about. While I usually use the English names when I talk about the games, I sometimes use the Japanese names for some of the characters like Akuroma because it sounds better for me and I prefer that name over Colress or Corless or however you spell it.

And you still know what we're talking about anyways

So... am I the only one here who feels they should've included the E4 in the world tournament as well?

Am I the only one around here who hates when people here in the forums refer to Pokémon, places or characters by their Japanese names? What the hell, for us it's SABRINA, not Natsume. It's ALOMOMOLA, not Mamanbou. We speak English around here, not Japanese. It's frustrating because when they do that, I don't know what they're talking about. Why do they even do it?

Their Japanese names happen to be their REAL names no matter where you are from or which you are more familiar with. This may be an English speaking forum but it's based around a JAPANESE franchise. This attitude to me seems disrespectful of the fact that they marketed their games for us. Even then English speakers sometimes choose to play the Japanese versions.

Am I the only one he, who got a girlfriend(boyfriend if you re girl :D) that calls me a child, when I play Pokemon?

I don't have a boyfriend. But I'd be spending most of my time with him if I did rather than playing pokemon.
So my question is, am I the only one here who actually holds down A and B when I throw a pokeball, knowing it is just some stupid made up trick but have observed that somehow it still works more than it doesn't? It became a habit with me.

Their Japanese names happen to be their REAL names no matter where you are from or which you are more familiar with. This may be an English speaking forum but it's based around a JAPANESE franchise. This attitude to me seems disrespectful of the fact that they marketed their games for us. Even then English speakers sometimes choose to play the Japanese versions.
English and other language names are no less real than Japanese ones. It doesn't matter if we all know what we're talking about, right?

So my question is, am I the only one here who actually holds down A and B when I throw a pokeball, knowing it is just some stupid made up trick but have observed that somehow it still works more than it doesn't? It became a habit with me.
Oh yeah. Not so much now, but I used to back in the day. Though I tended towards Up + B myself.

Am I the only one who...thinks naming heroes/rivals after game version names, be they used by the game itself or not, is really lazy?

Am I the only one around here who thinks the anime is getting old and that they should change the main character?

Am I the only one around here who has wondered how much those ladies that ask you "What floor would you like to go to?" and push buttons on an elevator as their job get paid?

Hmm. Now that you've mentioned it, I am beginning to wonder...

Am I the only one who...thinks naming heroes/rivals after game version names, be they used by the game itself or not, is really lazy?

Nope. Why waste the brilliant, creative opportunity? Everyone should name their rival or hero something unique, something mature...like 'Buttface'.

Am I the only one who loses count of EVs a lot?

Am I the only one who loses count of EVs a lot?

Yes X') Until someone comes and says the opposite. I am very careful with that.

Am I the only one around here that feels motivated to play because of one of their Pokémon? Right now I'm playing because I want to kick butts with my Volcarona. Best Pokémon I've ever had without a doubt.

Am I the only one around here who doesn't feel any type of affection for their Pokémon and sees them just as tools of battling? There was a guy around the forum saying that people who don't nickname their Pokémon are hypocritical, and you should take care of your Pokémon and love them and stuff... For God's sake, it's just a freaking GAME, the things are fictional, they're unreal, they don't exist! .____.

Nope. I'm really tired of people talking about strips of data like they're their friends. There's enjoying a game, and there's being creepily into it.

I know right? People get overly attached to those things. It's ridiculous.

I get your guys' point, but I freakin' adore my Pokemon, and I get emotionally attached to some of them(especially my Empoleon on Platinum. He was my very first Pokemon) :p
Pokemon has become more than "just a game" for me.
Spending hours upon hours raising them makes me love those strips of data.
'Cuz I'm crazy.
Makes two of us. I know my Golurk isn't real but I do love that big fella. Call me crazy if you want to but I loves my Pogey-mans. :ksmile:
Am I the only one who doesn't know what to do with their Shiny Pokemon?
Nope, because there are some shiny Pokemon that I'm afraid to train; I'm afraid I might ruin them if I do.
I rarely use them, But I'd say you are.

Am I the only one that has no idea what EV training is?
No, I don't know what it is either. But I don't want to find out so those people who do know please don't tell me, if I wanted to know I would've just googled it...but I'm not sure why I don't want to know...maybe because of something I heard about, once you know what EVs are you start to go crazy and never train the same way ever again...it's probably not true, though.

No, they're not lying. It IS true that after you find out how to EV train, you never train the same way ever again, because you learn how to exploit your Pokémon's potential to their maximum. You do become a little obsessive; you mandatorily pay attention to the Pokémon's nature and IVs and things like that, because if they're not what you want you'll just get rid of that Pokémon until you get one with the characteristics you're looking for. However, EV training is also very fun. It's not like it's bad or something. It's very exciting how after hours of breeding/catching you finally get the Pokémon you want with the right nature, characteristic and ability (and gender in my case). It's the same as when you catch a shiny Pokémon (at least for me). It takes time, but it's worth it.
It's very true. Ever since I discovered EV training, I've completely changed my training methods. I've been doing everything I can to bring out my team's potential. My only problem? I can't dump certain Pokemon simply because they have bad Natures/IVs. I've lost count of all the Timid Goletts I have. (-_-;)
am I the only one who, when he (I) got Diamond (or whatever game you were expecting for a really long time), played it nearly non-stop for weeks.

My definition of nearly non-stop: you wake up, you turn on your console, and you play until you have to go to universirty/work/shower and then turned it back on when you were back until you went to bed. That means playing while eating, cooking, watching movies, etc.

When I got Diamond 2 years ago, my social life was inexistent: I ate, I slept, I played. I'm more parsimonious now though :D
Nope, I did the same thing when I got Black. XD
Am I the only one around here that feels motivated to play because of one of their Pokémon? Right now I'm playing because I want to kick butts with my Volcarona. Best Pokémon I've ever had without a doubt.
No. I keep playing because of my Golurk. He kicks skidplate.

Am I the only one here who...

-tries to translate a foreign Pokemon's nickname? If I get a Gobit that's been named, I ask my hubby to translate it and make it a point to learn it.
-can recognize katakana or hiragana because of all the Japanese Pokemon you have? I can pick out the characters that spell 'Gobit' and 'Goloog' and have spotted them on some of our Japanese Transformer packaging.
-bonds with her Pokemon via EV training? I get a new Golurk, I immediately check the Nature and stats then start working on the big fella's Attack. By the time I'm done, I've got a Golurk who adores me. :)

Am I the only one here who...

-tries to translate a foreign Pokemon's nickname? If I get a Gobit that's been named, I ask my hubby to translate it and make it a point to learn it.

I've done this one before.

Am I the only one here who take their time playing Pokemon games? I know people who already finished Black2 and White2 already and I haven't gotten it yet or finished White's post-game yet.

Am I the only one around here who doesn't feel any type of affection for their Pokémon and sees them just as tools of battling? There was a guy around the forum saying that people who don't nickname their Pokémon are hypocritical, and you should take care of your Pokémon and love them and stuff... For God's sake, it's just a freaking GAME, the things are fictional, they're unreal, they don't exist! .____.

Nope. I'm really tired of people talking about strips of data like they're their friends. There's enjoying a game, and there's being creepily into it.

I know right? People get overly attached to those things. It's ridiculous.

I get your guys' point, but I freakin' adore my Pokemon, and I get emotionally attached to some of them(especially my Empoleon on Platinum. He was my very first Pokemon) :p
Pokemon has become more than "just a game" for me.
Spending hours upon hours raising them makes me love those strips of data.
'Cuz I'm crazy.
Makes two of us. I know my Golurk isn't real but I do love that big fella. Call me crazy if you want to but I loves my Pogey-mans. :ksmile:

I saw this and I just needed to comment on it. Not nicknaming your 'mons ≠ not being attached to them. I don't usually nickname any Pokémon other than my starter, but I am very attached to my Solosis.

And I think it's perfectly fine to be attached to those 'strips of data'. After spending so many hours on them, you tend to stop thinking of them as such and they kind of grow on you sometimes.

I rarely use them, But I'd say you are.

Am I the only one that has no idea what EV training is?
No, I don't know what it is either. But I don't want to find out so those people who do know please don't tell me, if I wanted to know I would've just googled it...but I'm not sure why I don't want to know...maybe because of something I heard about, once you know what EVs are you start to go crazy and never train the same way ever again...it's probably not true, though.

No, they're not lying. It IS true that after you find out how to EV train, you never train the same way ever again, because you learn how to exploit your Pokémon's potential to their maximum. You do become a little obsessive; you mandatorily pay attention to the Pokémon's nature and IVs and things like that, because if they're not what you want you'll just get rid of that Pokémon until you get one with the characteristics you're looking for. However, EV training is also very fun. It's not like it's bad or something. It's very exciting how after hours of breeding/catching you finally get the Pokémon you want with the right nature, characteristic and ability (and gender in my case). It's the same as when you catch a shiny Pokémon (at least for me). It takes time, but it's worth it.

Same. Ever since I started EV training, I feel weird whenever I don't. I have to EV train. Otherwise, I feel like I'm wasting something.

Am I the only one here who take their time playing Pokemon games? I know people who already finished Black2 and White2 already and I haven't gotten it yet or finished White's post-game yet.

Yep, I take my time too. Even when I've already done all that could be done in a City/Town, I don't leave until I've completely gotten the 'feel' of that place. It's not a very good way to put it, but yeah.

Am I the only one who has never gotten a shiny? Ever?

Am I the only one around here who thinks the anime is getting old and that they should change the main character?

I guess so, in my opinion they don't need to change Ash they just need to adjust his personality a bit.

Am I the only one around here who checks the nature of the Pokémon I just caught not for the stats or whatever but just so I'll know my Pokémon's personality?

I guess so, in my opinion they don't need to change Ash they just need to adjust his personality a bit.

Am I the only one around here who checks the nature of the Pokémon I just caught not for the stats or whatever but just so I'll know my Pokémon's personality?

I do the same, I did that for a Tynamo I caught and I had a pretty good laugh when I say that it had a sturdy "body"

Am I the only one around here who keeps and nicknames every single Pokemon I get?
(including the ones hatched from eggs)

Am I the only one around here who says, out loud, "That's right; you're one coooold son of a bitch" every time my Pokemon attacks despite being Infatuated.

Am I the only one around here who thinks Rayquayza bears a striking resemblance to the Wish Dragon (or whatever it's officially called...the dragon summoned by the dragon balls) from the Dragon Ball series?

Last edited:
Am I the only one around here who says, out loud, "That's right; you're one coooold son of a bitch" every time my Pokemon attacks despite being Infatuated.

Am I the only one around here who thinks Rayquayza bears a striking resemblance to the Wish Dragon (or whatever it's officially called...the dragon summoned by the dragon balls) from the Dragon Ball series?
Shenron? hmm, now that you mention it, they do look a little similar... if Shenron had digital like lines, and yellowish eyes... or if Rayquaza could speak.

I'm sure I've ranted on about this elsewhere, but am I the only one around here who wholeheartedly thinks that the Pokemon series has plenty of potential to be a HUGE Action RPG?

What would you mean by "Action RPG"?
Oh, And to people who think EV training always changes your training, It doesn't. EV training is really boring. For some reason, I do still check the natures now, Though. Silly little habits you pick up :p

Aaaand, Am I the only one who won't cach certain pokemon because they remind me of something else, Or because I wouldn't relate to them & stuff like that?

What would you mean by "Action RPG"?

I would mean a sort of real-time battle system, something that could have Pokemon avoiding attacks and trying to pin the opponent in a tough position to gain an advantage. for instance, I sort of envision it somewhat akin to Dissidia Final Fantasy in terms of camera and movement physics. take a pick from any of a Pokemon's current learnset and lock it to four slots that can be used right away... Stats are treated the same way, except speed affects how fast your Pokemon can move around, Accuracy affects how on-target an attack's direction is launched, evasiveness affects how close you can avoid getting hit, all that stuff. perhaps have a sort of schizophrenic sort of pace when trying to handle Double Battles as you can issue orders to one Mon while switching focus to the next one.

the way I see it, I see the main series Game's Pokemon battles as more of "Endurance contests" in comparison. and I'm fully aware how there's 600+ Pokemon in total, but i would think that perhaps it'd be best if such an idea took steps... sort of slowly developing a means of becoming proficient as it adds each Generation's set of Pokemon.

I know my friends would groan if they caught me ranting about this again. but if the anime can come up with ideas like that, why not have the games take that a notch further... eventually?

oh, right, and am I the only one around here realizing that the biggest Level boosters a substantially levelled up Join Avenue has might turn out to bridge the gap between Grinding at LV 80 or so to LV 100 in a couple days?

lv80 to lv100 is harder, Yes.

Am I the only one who thinks that if they bring out R/S/E remakes, Maybe only have R/S. Emerald is a big advantage :eek:

Aaaand, Am I the only one who won't cach certain pokemon because they remind me of something else, Or because I wouldn't relate to them & stuff like that?

If I'm trying to fill a Pokedex I'll resign myself to catch and release, but the legedary golems from Gen IV. I cannot bring myself to catch them. They're faceless drones to me. POKEMON SHOULD HAVE FACES!

Am I the only one who sometimes thinks their Pokemon are real?

Heh, yup. Like thats a big gigantic yup yup yup on that one.

Am I the only one thats lucky with IVs? Because I been getting really lucky with IVs without even trying. Like perfect IVs.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom