• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Am I the only one who doesn't like evolution through trading?

Cyborger

Reaction score
I get that they want to encourage players to trade pokemon and that it can be fun for some but everytime I do it I feel very underwhelmed. It doesn't have that special feeling like leveling up has. Even using a stone on a pokemon can feel rewarding if you use it at the time you feel is right. Trading the pokemon and then getting it back evolved just doesn't feel that great to me. I'm sure I'm either the only person who feels this way or I'm in a very small minority when it comes to this but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

Last edited:
I greatly dislike it. D8; There needs to be a method of evolving trade-evo Pokemon without actually trading. I agree with Gawrdenia, the happiness reset just isn't worth it. It's one the the main reasons I had a Haunter on my FireRed team for the longest time until Platinum.

It really does suck. Well for me, I don't have anyone to trade with so it really makes those Pokemon that evolve by trading useless... It sucks that I have to pass on such wonderful Pokemon. It took me years to get a Gengar.

I think the idea was another way to help engage players in trading. I wonder if Game Freak thought about how people would just trade with a friend then have the pokemon traded back. Now it doesn't really engage people in trading since they're not really trading.

It really does suck. Well for me, I don't have anyone to trade with so it really makes those Pokemon that evolve by trading useless... It sucks that I have to pass on such wonderful Pokemon. It took me years to get a Gengar.

That's the same reason it took me so long to get a Machamp back in the day.

I think the idea was another way to help engage players in trading. I wonder if Game Freak thought about how people would just trade with a friend then have the pokemon traded back. Now it doesn't really engage people in trading since they're not really trading.

Not only that but some people buy both versions and most likely have 2 or more handhelds so it eliminates the need to find someone to trade with.

I dont mind this method, personally. Ive always got someone to trade with, so its not hard for me to get them to evolve, plus if you're actually training a trade-evolving Pokemon for your team, you dont have to use an Everstone to stop it evolving into a crappy final stage, like Magmortar.
Also, if its something like a Graveler, you can just catch, trade, and evolve to fill your dex, rather than train the damn thing if you have no intention of actually using it.

Overall, Im all for trade evos. It adds a little more variety to the ways they all evolve, too, rather than just Level Up and Stones.

I dont mind this method, personally. Ive always got someone to trade with, so its not hard for me to get them to evolve, plus if you're actually training a trade-evolving Pokemon for your team, you dont have to use an Everstone to stop it evolving into a crappy final stage, like Magmortar.
Also, if its something like a Graveler, you can just catch, trade, and evolve to fill your dex, rather than train the damn thing if you have no intention of actually using it.

Overall, Im all for trade evos. It adds a little more variety to the ways they all evolve, too, rather than just Level Up and Stones.

I guess you're right. It just really depends on everyone's current situation I guess. So either way, it could be a hassle or not. But I definitely understand what you mean by the variety. It is a bit different so it adds that taste to Pokemon.

It was fun in generation I and II (though maybe because I was like, ten) but by generation III, it started pissing me off because I had no one to trade with.

Come Generation V, I just said "fuck this", bought both Black and White and a used DS Lite so I could trade with myself.

It was fun in generation I and II (though maybe because I was like, ten) but by generation III, it started pissing me off because I had no one to trade with.

Come Generation V, I just said "fuck this", bought both Black and White and a used DS Lite so I could trade with myself.

Agreed. I can't afford another DS lite lol Getting one was hard enough for me. But yeah, by Gen IV, I got pretty frustrated as well

I hate evolution through trading too. I hated even more when the ingame Machoke trade in R/B was holding an Everstone in remakes.

PGL compensated this a little, allowing me to trade between games with only one DS. But it can be rather tedious.

I don't like reset happiness. XS

Yeah, this is what I dislike as well. Trade evolution Pokemon tend to be overpowered as well. Alakazam at the second badge in platinum? Gengar before you're through the game? Conkeldurr?

Trade evolutions are frustrating if you don't have another handheld/copy or someone who owns a copy.

The happiness reset isn't that much of a big deal for me, really. Raising a Pokémon's happiness is remarkably easy, and happens entirely while I do other things. Traded evolutions are actually pretty nice in that you can choose to hold off on the evolution as long or as short as you like, depending on how much you want to challenge yourself. Besides, trade-evolutions offer some nice variety and can sometimes lead into friendly battles or other nice trades that you weren't originally planning on.

However, as much as I personally like the concept of trade evolutions, I agree that there needs to be a way to obtain these Pokémon without using a second game. After all, not everybody is fortunate enough to be near other players.

Trade evolutions aren't that much of a bother anymore now that we have the internet.

Somehow I always had the feeling that GameFreak planned it so that you don't trade your Pokémon back when it evolves. If it is so, it's just stupid, but I still don't mind the trade evo.

You're not the only one. I think it's annoying, because I don't have a 2nd DS, or Wi-Fi. So, I either have to contact a friend, or just skip it. Also, evolving via happiness is a pain in the ass, too.

Trade evolutions aren't that much of a bother anymore now that we have the internet.

But, we don't all have Wi-Fi.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom