• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Am I the only one who is horribly disappointed with the duck’s final evolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quaquaval wasn't quite what I expected Quaxly's final evolution to be. I guess I was expecting a swordsman/musketeer type. But I think the initial shock has worn off. I've grown used to the dance battler duck and it's growing on me. (It helps that I like Dancer from FFXIV.)

Hate it more than anything. At least Quaxwell (the water starter’s middle evo) is cool.

At the start, I really wanted to choose Quaxly, ‘cause I really like Water types and I expected it to evolve into a pirate DUCK. But now, because of Quaquaval, I hate duck Pokémon in general.

Thank you Game Freak for making trash like this.

I also hate it. I've hated every starter from Gen 6 onwards except Greninja and Skeledirge or whatever it's called.
If I could give multiple likes to these comments, I would.

Seriously, I want to grow on the duck. But everytime I look up gen9 designs for refernce for my comic, I get reminded of this idiotic thing and just get angry at practically everything about it. This thing really could have been awesome, but they really took every wrong turn with it’s design.

I seriously just don’t get the appeal towards that thing in general. I’m beginning to think that the duck is possibly the most overrated mon in existence.

Expect me to pick the other two before I ever pick duckster. (And I’ve also heard that it’s pretty lousy and worthlesss in battle, so that’s good.)

Last edited:
nervous laughter
Soooo...honestly...I like it. Please don't hurt me, I bruise easily. I mean it's not my favorite final evolution of any starters in general, that honor would go to Sceptile for me, but there's something about Quaquaval I like. It seems happy, dancing, perfectly content with its life. To each is own. Good day.

I don't mind its design so much as I mind it in battle. The way it moves and how it does it non stop is completely disturbing to me. I now have no desire to ever use it because the movement is so off putting.
Same. Why is it constantly moving? That just irritates me and I don't know exactly why.

Design is okay but that constant foot shuffling just pushes me into the 'Nope' category.

Yeah. I was really looking forward to seeing the duck become a cool type combination... and then it became a fighting type. It's such an overused type in starters. I mean seriously, now 4 out of the 17 dual typed starter evolutions have the fighting types. Maybe an ice type or another poison type for some variety? At least feucoco didn't get saddled with this overused type...

Yeah. I was really looking forward to seeing the duck become a cool type combination... and then it became a fighting type. It's such an overused type in starters. I mean seriously, now 4 out of the 17 dual typed starter evolutions have the fighting types. Maybe an ice type or another poison type for some variety? At least feucoco didn't get saddled with this overused type...
It's actually five. Blaziken, Infernape, Emboar, Chesnaught, and Quaquaval. Six if you count Hisuian Decidueye.

I don't mind it in this case though because it's the first water/fighting starter at least. And there's actually less water/fighting types than you might expect.

I think it's safe to say none of us expected Quaquaval to come out as it did. Can you imagine if this design had leaked earlier in the year? We might never have had the Duckgarden style for April Fools for starters.

I've tried to give it time, but the design simply hasn't grown on me. If nothing else, the constant shuffling in battle is just distracting. It has personality at least, but it's just not for me.

It's actually five. Blaziken, Infernape, Emboar, Chesnaught, and Quaquaval. Six if you count Hisuian Decidueye.

I don't mind it in this case though because it's the first water/fighting starter at least. And there's actually less water/fighting types than you might expect.
Oops I forgot about chestnaught. It's less about the fighting type being paired with water than the overabundance of the type in general. I mean, one can only use mach punch to obliterate low level pokemon so many times before it becomes stale. The design easily could have been a psychic type, or even changed to become an unused typing like ice or electric. At least quaxly is still adorable.

I'm getting the game for Christmas and still not made up my mind which starter I want.

I just love Quaxly so much how can I get to that screen where you pick your starter and not pick him? Just can't do it, I won't do it.
But then that final evo. Crikey, can't have that on my team. Wouldn't feel right to box him, I do imagine my mons to have personalities and feelings etc, have never boxed my starter.

I'm getting the game for Christmas and still not made up my mind which starter I want.

I just love Quaxly so much how can I get to that screen where you pick your starter and not pick him? Just can't do it, I won't do it.
But then that final evo. Crikey, can't have that on my team. Wouldn't feel right to box him, I do imagine my mons to have personalities and feelings etc, have never boxed my starter.
Same, I wish the games were released in summer so we didn't have an excuse not to get them. I'm on the fence between Quaxly despite the evolution, and fuecoco mostly because of the evolution. Probably gonna go with fuecoco because of the typing, but...

I shall now repeat once more that it’s not that I don’t like Quaquaval’s design (okay I kinda do a bit), I’m just massively disappointed is all.

If anyone wants to know how I would like it, well, just make it look like an actual animal for once, make it more like an actual peacock instead of peacock feathers randomly floating around it, and possibly cut out some overdesigned elements too… just, many things in general that I’d be here all day explaining.

Hell, Imma go re-quote the user that said they now hate all duck Pokemon. Another reason I don’t like Quaquavel is because I think it also feels to similar to the other water fowls in Pokemon, especially if you take away from some parts of the design.

If they really wanted to do the carnival dancer theme, then maybe, just don’t do it with a duck starter. Howabout instead, a beaver water starter that uses wood it created as costume-like props? Not only would we have less mons to compare it with, but that actually sounds like a much better idea! But of course don’t make it overly humanoid.

Seriously this duck, if we cut out all the bad stuff and improved it, it possibly would have been amazing. I actually think a lot of the concept is really cool, but of course it is wasted on a lame design. And just thinking about what could have been just makes me irritated. I really don’t want to not like duckster, but I can’t help but think of ways it would have been so much better… as well as it’s name. Which I pronounced several different times at this point.

show.png

Okay, but real talk, Quaquaval is fine. It's got a good design, a decent BST and stat spread, and a wonderful signature move. I think you should give it a try; it might grow on you. :wynaut: :bulbaWave:

I wouldn’t say I’m disappointed because I’ve come to expect that I won’t like new pokemon, but I don’t like it at all. I think it’s my least favorite final evolution for a starter.

Yeah, it's pretty off-putting to me too. I really like Skeledirge, but ended up choosing Meowscarada because I loved Sprigatito, and IMO Meowscarada is cool too. I feel like Quaquaval isnt really my favorite, with how it moves and it's design. It looks a little more like a person in a bird costume than a creature you could find living in the wild somewhere lol.

When I saw the leaks of it (because I remember there was only that like small sprite leak of it at first before we saw the full model) I thought it was just a Water Blaziken lol, but I was mistaken.

I never saw it the whole game until Nemona used hers against me, and I must say I was very impressed, I thought it would just stand there all idle and boring like Inteleon (my least favourite final stage starter), but when I saw it's fabulous tail feathers in all their glory and it happily moving I loooved it.

Like honestly, before I saw it active in battle I hated it, but after that battle I genuinely liked it. I love it now.

i’m seriously disappointed, it could have been a sailor or something cooler
it looks like its wearing pants
its name is stupidly hard to spell
possibly good in competitive tho, only saving grace that it has
(Its design is like inteleon but worse)

It's not amazing design-wise, and I prefer swampert, Samurott, and Primarina as far as fully evolved Water-type starters go, but it is a better design than Inteleon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom